Polestar and alcyone

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Daveho

Polestar and alcyone

Post by Daveho »

For my next purchase I’m looking at buying one of these two-
I haven’t tried spydercos BD1 and I think these two may get overlooked a great deal.
Those who have them what do you think, extra points for pictures.
knivesandbooks

Re: Polestar and alcyone

Post by knivesandbooks »

Well you know I just bought the polestar. I think it is fantastic so far. Ergos are great for me and the action was smooth after a day. The steel responds well to stropping. I'll be reprofiling this weekend to really get a better sense but it seems good. Seems tough too. I've wanted to try bd1 for awhile but hadn't been able to pick a model that seemed right until this one. I was thinking of it as a budget sage but it really stands out on its own. If spyderco discontinues the pair, I'm hopping on the alcyone.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

The Alcyone is wonderful
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I bought a Polestar a few months ago and I think it’s a very well executed and useful design. The steel sharpens easily and performs well and the nadir ergos are great. Mine came a bit stiff and though it’s loosened up significantly it still isn’t quite quite as smooth as I like. It’s still plenty “flickable”, it just requires a fair bit of shaking to close when the lock bar is pressed. It will probably loosen up more over time.

I flattened the spine on mine and prefer the “paramilitary” style blade shape to that of the leaf blade that it comes with, but to each his own.

abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

That looks great with the flat spine! You might have just sold one.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Surfingringo wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:55 am
I bought a Polestar a few months ago and I think it’s a very well executed and useful design. The steel sharpens easily and performs well and the nadir ergos are great. Mine came a bit stiff and though it’s loosened up significantly it still isn’t quite quite as smooth as I like. It’s still plenty “flickable”, it just requires a fair bit of shaking to close when the lock bar is pressed. It will probably loosen up more over time.

I flattened the spine on mine and prefer the “paramilitary” style blade shape to that of the leaf blade that it comes with, but to each his own.

Haha I do the same to my opinel.
Great photo thanks
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:39 am
The Alcyone is wonderful
That’s my preference currently for size
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Just came from SFO with a new Polestar. I think this a quality design for a fantastic price.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

MichaelScott wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:12 pm
Just came from SFO with a new Polestar. I think this a quality design for a fantastic price.
I was going to spend my dollars on a book from the US..
Book is $52 then the shipping is a super reasonable $57 to get it here but I think I’m going to buy another knife instead lol
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

That’s basically outrageous. Unless it’s FexX overnight. Lol
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

MichaelScott wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:31 pm
That’s basically outrageous. Unless it’s FexX overnight. Lol
I wish-
That’s just shipping to Australia..
probably take a a few weeks to get here-

On considering these two blades more I’m actually looking more at the Byrd lineup and specifically the crow 2- it’s about 30% cheaper for the equivalent model and I don’t see spydercos range offering enough to justify the markup-
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I like the look of these 2 very much. I have a Manix LW with BD 1 and I really like the steel.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Got this Ploestar at SFO yesterday. I think it is the most unappreciated Sal Glesser design and for the refinements and steel involved it is more than worth the slight increase over, for example, the Tenacious and similar Byrd knives. Functionally, it’s as good as your average PM2 I would say.

My guess is that if it had different G10, a slightly different blade shape, similar to Lance’s modification, and a different name, it would be more appreciated than it is. But, and I say this knowing I will be flamed by some, subtlety is unappreciated by a few. I’m not a master of it by any definition, but age as forced a certain amount on me.

Team Innovation
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I agree with Michael. If they made this model in Taichung with peel ply carbon fiber, with s30v, m4, or something similar, and charged $150-180, people would be all about this knife.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
J D Wijbenga

Post by J D Wijbenga »

I wrote a review for NemoKnivesReviewon the Alcyone. You can read it here.

spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

I love the Polestar so much i just bought a second one to keep as a safe queen.Like Michael said,it's the most unappreciated knife Sal designed,but once you get one in hand,you will hold on to it.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Wanted to give this thread a bump, since I asked in another one if the Polestar (and the Alcyone) also would possibly make the change from BD1 to BD1N.

I don´t have either of them, but think they are great designs and very pretty looking, but still don´t get much attention. BD1N instead of BD1 might give these models another chance??

I know, many say that the Tenacious or the Raven 2 are cheaper knives which offer essentially what the Polestar does. But I don´t think so. If I were interested in a linerlock, G10 knife of that size, I´d go for the Polestar, mostly for it´s very nice and classy looking textured G10 (the new FRN Tenacious would make me think twice though).

BD1N would be for some enough "upgrade" over the Tenacious maybe to go for the Polestar?

For reference:
The Polestar is a bit more compact than a PM2, but offers more edge
The Alvyone is a bit more compact than a Para 3, but also offers more edge (and in 2.8 mm bladestock, not 3.7 like the Para 3. Should make it a better slicer)

Does anyone know, if the change to BD1N has been made (or will happen)?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Tims

Post by Tims »

Any comments from owners of these knives on detent strength?
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Mine is on the weaker side. Have to flick it with some authority to get reliable lock ups.
Tims

Post by Tims »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:59 am
Mine is on the weaker side. Have to flick it with some authority to get reliable lock ups.
Sigh :(