What would make you buy more Spyderco fixed blades?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

What would make you buy more Spyderco fixed blades?

Post by vivi »

Everyone here adores Spydercos folders, and for good reason.

However, feelings seem a little more mixed when it comes to their fixed blades.

It seems to me, from a consumer stand point, it's easier for Spyderco to distinguish themselves in the folding market than fixed.

To begin with we have their opening hole. It is, IMO, the best functioning method of opening a folding knife with one hand.

But on a fixed blade it serves little to no purpose.

Second, Spydercos in house locks aren't available anywhere else. If you're a fan of the compression lock, caged ball bearing lock or power lock, there's really no one else to turn to.

Lastly, they have a penchant for using steels uncommonly, or never found in production folding knives.

Fixed blades, having no need for an opening hole or lock, are generally available in a wider variety of steels. Especially when you get into the custom market, which is far more accessible to the average buyer than custom folding knives.

With this in mind, what could Spyderco do to draw your interest to their line of fixed blades?
:unicorn
awa54

Re: What would make you buy more Spyderco fixed blades?

Post by awa54 »

uh, me using fixed blades more often?
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Be competitive. There are so many good fixed blades in the $60 to $140 range. And Spyderco does offer some good ones in that range. The Moran is a classic imho. However, the price and quality makers like LT Wright and others are offering makes buying a Spyderco fixed blade difficult.

You mentioned steel options, Vivi.
Everyone on here has been pining to try AEB-L.
I can get a 4in AEB-L fixed blade in my choice of micarta color made by LT Wright for $120. That's basically the price of a frn handle, vg10 Moran that's been around for 20 years.

I'm normally someone defending Spyderco's value. But for fixed blades, I just can't.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Shape I want
Price - I'm not normally that price sensitive but fixed blade Spydies are certainly up there.
And as said so well above, others doing it so well at a more decent price point.

That being said, I have 3 fixed Spydies on my buy list !

I'd prefer to see things like folding fillet knife / catcherman reproduced which also means Spyderco focuses on its strengths, folding knives.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

My only Spyderco fixed blade is the Temperance 2. No wait! I also have the Street Beat. Both are great knives in their own way. Both are VG-10 (Hmmm, I see a pattern). I have yet to figure out how to do anything useful with the hole, but I am still studying the problem.

Interesting steels would get some attention -- from the handful of steel maniacs that constitute this forum anyway, I don't know about the general knife buying public.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:22 am
My only Spyderco fixed blade is the Temperance 2. No wait! I also have the Street Beat. Both are great knives in their own way. Both are VG-10 (Hmmm, I see a pattern). I have yet to figure out how to do anything useful with the hole, but I am still studying the problem.

Interesting steels would get some attention -- from the handful of steel maniacs that constitute this forum anyway, I don't know about the general knife buying public.
The general knife buying public would know quality if it hit them in the face. Same goes with different steels.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
SalomonA

Post by SalomonA »

I would be interested if spyderco made a new run of fillet knives that had a blade stock of about 1.5mm and thin edges. High wear resistant steel like s110v would be nice too if it didn't run the price up too much. Would also have to be under 140 for me to be interested.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

In short words: As long as fixed blades have the useless hole in it, I'm not interested. Spyderco insists on it and it is their good right.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I’ve had a Sprig and a Southfork for a while and a new backup Sprig arrived on Monday from BHQ.

I do agree Spyders aren’t cheap, be they fixed or folder but who else makes an S90V fixed blade like the Sprig or S110V folder like the Military at a compatible price?
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Peter1960 wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:48 am
In short words: As long as fixed blades have the useless hole in it, I'm not interested. Spyderco insists on it and it is their good right.

Pretty sure I heard the hole must be on everything to keep the trademark status. If they only use the hole selectively, it would be hard to defend it as a true trademark. But... I may be wrong.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Not sure, really. I like large Bowie knives, so I want a Respect. In fact, I've had one on pre-order for 11 months now. That's partly because it's Sal's take on a large Bowie, and partly because it has the "look" I like in a large Bowie. Aside from that, I have no real need or desire for more fixed blades.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Dingo

Post by Dingo »

There are so many fixed blades from other companies I like.
I got the spyderco bushcraft but no other fixed blade spyderco takes my fancy. I’m happy with the spyderco folders I have and that’s how how personally see them...makers of fine folders, and me being from the uk they happen to make the best legal knife on the market.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

The need for a fixed blade knife would help.. :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Having a convenient way to carry and conceal them would help. I keep thinking that the right pocket sheath could solve this problem for me but ultimately it comes down to the question of what exactly am I gaining vs my folders? We all know the answers but honestly none of them really sway me enough to completely pull me over from the folder side.

What is maybe the most important part for me is safely putting the knife away while multitasking or being distracted. If I'm in a hurry I don't even have to clip my folders, I can close them and drop them in my pocket. The times I've carried my Street Beat or Ronin 2, I've found that getting the blade into the sheath take a lot more focus and can potentially be dangerous if I get it wrong. This for me is not an even trade off for simpler drawing/opening, especially if I compare it to drawing and opening my Autonomy.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

IMO legal issues and price are the reassons few of us carry a fixed blade.
The Bow River will take care of the price problem.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
sparky2016

Post by sparky2016 »

Take the Spyderco ergonomics genius and apply it to all elements of fixed blades. As Evil D notes, having a way to carry them is critical. Though I don't know that there's ever going to be a way to put away a fixed blade without being very careful, I'm sure the right sheath could help a little.

Any other special Spydy skills they could bring to bear? For example, is there anything in the small and lightweight category that Spyderco has been so innovative with for folders, that would make any sense for fixed blades? Blades & handle materials?

I'm really not sure personally, as folders are so much easier to carry for me. For example, I got the Cold Steel Finn Wolf as sort of a folding equivalent of a fixed blade. (Not a big fan, btw, but other people like it.) And it's hard for me to see beyond my $10 Morakniv if I want something to add to the bag. It helps that I don't have to think about whether it makes it back in one piece.

Though maybe that's an idea. How close could they get to what fixed blade users want, in a folder? The folding fixed blade substitute. I wouldn't know, myself.
allhatnocattle

Post by allhatnocattle »

As has been said, price point but also US Made, Blade shapes and steels focused on intended purpose like stainless for skinning and filleting. But tougher 3v 4v Rex steels for Camping and chopping with thick spines and choils for sparking a flint. Sheaths that are durable and offer versatile mounting options.
rgrad80

Post by rgrad80 »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:53 pm
Be competitive. There are so many good fixed blades in the $60 to $140 range. And Spyderco does offer some good ones in that range. The Moran is a classic imho. However, the price and quality makers like LT Wright and others are offering makes buying a Spyderco fixed blade difficult.

You mentioned steel options, Vivi.
Everyone on here has been pining to try AEB-L.
I can get a 4in AEB-L fixed blade in my choice of micarta color made by LT Wright for $120. That's basically the price of a frn handle, vg10 Moran that's been around for 20 years.

I'm normally someone defending Spyderco's value. But for fixed blades, I just can't.
1000% on point. Close thread.
Days without buying a Spyderco: 35

You always have a choice.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:43 pm
Everyone here adores Spydercos folders, and for good reason.

However, feelings seem a little more mixed when it comes to their fixed blades.

It seems to me, from a consumer stand point, it's easier for Spyderco to distinguish themselves in the folding market than fixed.

To begin with we have their opening hole. It is, IMO, the best functioning method of opening a folding knife with one hand.

But on a fixed blade it serves little to no purpose.

Second, Spydercos in house locks aren't available anywhere else. If you're a fan of the compression lock, caged ball bearing lock or power lock, there's really no one else to turn to.

Lastly, they have a penchant for using steels uncommonly, or never found in production folding knives.

Fixed blades, having no need for an opening hole or lock, are generally available in a wider variety of steels. Especially when you get into the custom market, which is far more accessible to the average buyer than custom folding knives.

With this in mind, what could Spyderco do to draw your interest to their line of fixed blades?
I love my Spyderco knives so DO NOT read this the wrong way. I am trying to drive home a much needed message.

If Spyderco wants more of my income to be spent on their fixed and folding blades they have to compete and design blades that others are currently designing. They should be scouring the inventory of Knife Center or Blade HQ(for example), see what the competition is doing and beat them at their game.

Spyderco does not have a tactical or military grade knife to compete with a KA-BAR or a Medford USMC fighting knife and while I would love them to jump in because I appreciate the steels they bring with I've never seen a military fixed blade from Spyderco. If Spyderco brings a fighting knife to market and it's CPM 154, I do NOT see a winner there. They need to bring their expertise in steel and design.

Spyderco folders do not compete in any way with the likes of Hinderer or Cold Steel(thinking of the Code 4 here). I hate to say it but most of the Spyderco folders are glorified letter and box openers. There are only so many leaf shaped blades that I want.

Also, look at the Spyderco Proficient Fixed 4" S90V CF handled knife at $319 (retail). I love the steel but there is no guard of any kind. While I see a lot of Spyderco fixed blades with awesome steels, most of them seem to have a handle slapped on with no thought given to protecting the users hand.

Every manufacturer has a niche, and a crowd that follows them. Beyond that, most manufacturers are dead to the world and I am not sure why manufacturers make the choices they do..... I don't "rah rah" for any manufacturer as there are way too many choices.

Hey, if Spyderco wants to hire me for $2,000 a week to help them design or influence them as to where the market is, I'll be more than happy to move to CO for the effort.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

For me, it would take smaller fixed blades with a sheath that would fit in my pocket. It would be nice if the sheath had enough retention in my pocket that when I draw the knife, the sheath stays securely in my pocket.

Make it small and a useful edc blade shape and I’m in.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra