Are you cheating on the bug?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
anycal

Re: Are you cheating on the bug?

Post by anycal »

I have a BM in my pocket at least one a week - REI 940 or Bugout. A ZT once in a while.

When it comes to fixed blades, I don’t have any Spydercos. So 100% cheating there.
Peter
Dingo

Post by Dingo »

I do when I comes to my fixed blades.
Usually esee and fallkniven
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Around town/generally
Spyderco No 1 but also carry a very small Victorinox 2 blades knife/scissors on keyring.

I own other knives but don't really carry them.

Out bush, hunting, I need to carry my Green River skinners and filleters, partly because they are like an extension of my right arm.

Am gradually expanding into other folding and fixed blade Spydercos which might replace some uses (cooking, filleting fish) but unlikely the Green Rivers on big animals.

I have other knives that I keep but don't really use.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Wolfy916

Post by Wolfy916 »

For EDC I'm 90% spyderco.
Endura/PM 2 is usually my go to. Sometimes I will swap in a ZT if I am in the mood.
Delica is my gym shorts/around the house carry knife
Matriarch and a small multitool if I'm not carrying my gun for some reason, usually that reason is craft beers...
I use a ZT 0301 blem that I have specifically for a work knife that is meant to be abused.
I haven't tried a spyderco fixed blade yet, I'll get a bow river for sure given the price that could fill a hunting niche as well.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Only one non-spydie was purchased by me in the last I think over 2 years, the CS drop forged Hunter. If Spyderco would produce a similar thing, the Hunter would have to go. This thing is pretty cool. And at the same time so affordable, given that it's made out of a real premium steel.

Of all the knives I see in all the online shops I frequent, there are very few that really hit my nerve - and the few that do are totally out of budget. Of the nice knives that are within reach budget-wise, 99.9% are spydies. And since I now know that :spyder: quality is absolutely top notch, and since I here learned that they really care about their customers, my knive loving heart belongs to Spyderco.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
M4Life

Post by M4Life »

Most days when I’m out and about I carry a small CRK Inkosi insingo in the little leather pouch/sheath it comes with. It’s mainly because with it in the pouch I don’t have to worry about anyone freaking out because since I can just keep it in my pocket and there isn’t even a pocket clip visible.

However when I’m out with friends or around the house The Inkosi takes a backseat to my spydies. Still though it’s a great knife and perfect for discreet carry situations.
Just a man with a plan and a knife in hand.

My knives: Para 3 S110V (customized), Para 3 M390, PM2 S110V, Manix 2 CPM 154/S90V, Dice, Rubicon, Vrango, Native 5 CPM 154/S90V, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug, Chaparral LW, Kizer Megatherium
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Not opposed to it but generally don't. I have a few other brands but they very rarely see any use.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
sinnyc

Post by sinnyc »

Not even close to exclusive and can't imagine why I would be. There's an ever-increasing number of excellent knives out there and I have no problem trying as many as I can afford. Still, I'd estimate that my collection is roughly 50% Spyderco and 5 of my 10 regular EDC knives are Spyderco, too :)
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Collecting knives can be thought of as assembling a beautiful multi-hued tapestry from the finest raw materials from every corner of the globe. Within that tapestry are all of the colors and textures which to me represent the finest knives designed by hundreds of artisans. It is our job as collectors to assemble our own tapestry.

I collect nothing but the best knives that I can afford from every possible designer and manufacturer. If I had more money, I'd have more Spydercos, just as I would have more fine knives from other designers and manufacturers. Assembling a collection is a lifetime endeavor so if you miss out on one knife, you might fill it with another fine specimen somewhere else.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

I strictly own Spyderco. I’m the worst fanboy of all! I do use my knives heavily though.

My Tenacious and Resilience were my first Spyderco’s they are both very loose and rattle trap folders now nearly falling apart.

What really sold me on Spyderco was after I laid down $170 bucks on a PM2 Blurple S110V it has seen more abuse than my other China made models put together, though it’s very tight, but very smooth, and looks and functions like a new knife does. I wonder everyday how it’s possible. It must be built very well is all.

^ I’m new to knives, and this PM2 really sold me on why a knife can cost so much. They work every single time, and they work the exact same way every time.
Last edited by tps3443 on Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“My daily razor blade”
Microtech Stitch CTS-204P stonewashed blade
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P Black DLC
^Wicked Edge guided system^
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

I carry a Spyderco as a “primary” knife about 35% of the time. That said there is always a serrated Ladybug on my keychain (with a Vic Rambler) and my truck, car and motorbike all have Spydercos with rescue blades that live in the glove or top box.
Crux

Post by Crux »

I carry a lightweight assisted Kershaw flipper for my left vest pocket. The other 4 are Spydercos.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
silvershade255

Post by silvershade255 »

I've said it before, but my number one is, and at this rate always will be, the leatherman skeletool. Others I like are benchmade griptilian, CRKT M16, and two prized fixed blades, a USMC kabar and a Randall model 3-6. Spyderco is my favorite overall brand still, in large part because of the forum and how active Sal and co are with the community. Still hoping Ed replies on that hmong knife idea.
"Seven for One"
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Cheating? Hmmm. Never thought of it like that.

Whatever, acquiring new Spydies, hearing what Sal has to say, and getting insights from other Forum members more expert than me have been far too rewarding to even think about other folder brands.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I’ve been cheating for a while...CRK’s are just so nice..
Josh
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Yes. I want to learn how to freehand sharpen. So I got myself a cheap Tangram flipper. This way I can make mistakes and not worry about messing up one of my Spydies. Once I get a handle on this new way of sharpening, my Sage 2 will be my daily driver.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Benchmade and Spyderco are the two that got me into knives - Benchmade has been more conservative and has discontinued a lot of knives that I've like, while introducing very few that tickle my fancy... (Elishewitz/pardue/Osborne all the way)
Maybe giant mouse
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

p_atrick wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:21 pm
Yes. I want to learn how to freehand sharpen. So I got myself a cheap Tangram flipper. This way I can make mistakes and not worry about messing up one of my Spydies. Once I get a handle on this new way of sharpening, my Sage 2 will be my daily driver.
I cannot freehand sharpen to save my life, the more I try, the uglier and duller the knife becomes. I had to do something, or not own knives

When I bought my PM2 Blurple I was wanting to use my Tenacious for EDC because I couldnt sharpen freehand without ruining a edge, or a knifes looks. So I was worried about using the expensive knife that was so beautiful looking right out of the box.

^ BUY A WICKED EDGE ! You can maintain, and recreate factory edges that look the same, cut the same, and there even sharper!

People have even mentioned my edges before. “Factory looking”

It’s an investment, but it’s worth the piece of mind, and having a nice professional looking razor sharp knife all the time! And you could care less about dulling it, or using it.

I didn’t know what Spyderco was 2 months ago.. I just got in to this hobby of owning any knife in general. If I can do it, you can too!

Most people would probably die after having there knife look like this! This chipping, and damage was after accidentally cutting a steel strap.

THIS IS AFTER I fixed it on the WICKED EDGE! It’s a glorious machine!

Last edited by tps3443 on Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“My daily razor blade”
Microtech Stitch CTS-204P stonewashed blade
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P Black DLC
^Wicked Edge guided system^
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’d say I’ve been cheating on the butterfly since June when I got hooked by Spyderco again.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Sjucaveman wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:43 am
BornIn1500 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:33 am
Sjucaveman wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:26 am
I carry a griptilian somewhat often lately as well. It cost less than a delica

Where do you see a Griptilian or Mini Griptilian costing less than a Delica? Cheapest I see a Mini Grip is in the mid $80's, meanwhile a Delica is $75.
Griptilian 553s $68 on backcountry.com
What's the difference between a 551 and a 553 Griptilian ?

A 551 for sale for $90
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.