Are you cheating on the bug?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyderwolf

Are you cheating on the bug?

Post by spyderwolf »

How many of us are dating exclusively Spyderco's and how many are playing the field?
Before i became a one company's man i had Kershaw,ZT,CS,Benchmade,Schrade,and even a Sebenza.All are gone now,and i have no regrets.I only kept one custom fixed blade,very dear to me.
I am in exclusive relationship now,and i'm very happy :)
What about you?
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
abbazaba

Re: Are you cheating on the bug?

Post by abbazaba »

I like knives and do not discriminate :) Bugout in pocket today.

This will probably be moved to off-topic?
vivi

Post by vivi »

Been carrying my Voyager XL lately for a couple of hikes.

I've been EDCing a Benchmade Azeria.

Even tried out carrying a Leatherman Rev + Izula the other day...no Spyderco.

But today I'm back to the Police 4. I just took it and my Manix XL apart, cleaned and lubed their pivots, washed the scales, and gave them a fresh edge. Both are butter smooth and hair popping sharp, excited to put them to work.
:unicorn
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Variety is the spice of life! Spyderco is my number one. There are a couple other brands I'm quite fond of. There are many other brands that I monitor but rarely sample.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I have knives from a bunch of other brands but, for the most part, I only carry Spyderco now.
Even when I do carry another brands knife, I'll still pair it with a Spydie.

:spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

I carry a griptilian somewhat often lately as well. It cost less than a delica, feels better in hand and I don't mind abusing it.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Sjucaveman wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:26 am
I carry a griptilian somewhat often lately as well. It cost less than a delica

Where do you see a Griptilian or Mini Griptilian costing less than a Delica? Cheapest I see a Mini Grip is in the mid $80's, meanwhile a Delica is $75.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Now that I live in place where they're legal, I guess I cheat a little and probably will continue to do so until Spyderco offers a DA/DE OTF auto. Never go out without at least one or two Spydercos on me, most often a Stretch and a Kiwi, but there's generally an OTF with me as well and lately that one's a D-Rocket Zulu.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Nope. The only decent quality knives I own are Spyders. I have no desire at this time to try other brands.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Brown_Recluse

Post by Brown_Recluse »

I have knives from several brands but I almost exclusively carry Spyderco. It's not brand loyalty (although I am very loyal to Spyderco) as much as being the right tool for my needs. I've yet to find another knife that fits my hands, my needs and my philosophy of use better than a Spydie.
CPM S90V
Maxamet
CPM-M4
M390
CPM 20CV
Lc200N
CPM-S45VN
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:33 am
Sjucaveman wrote:

Where do you see a Griptilian or Mini Griptilian costing less than a Delica? Cheapest I see a Mini Grip is in the mid $80's, meanwhile a Delica is $75.
Griptilian 553s $68 on backcountry.com
Adam
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

I only carry Spyderco now. Which is a shame, because I have some very nice knives that never get to come out and play. Oh well, Spyderco is the best! One always winds up in my pocket in the morning. Today is the Ti/CF S90V Military. One of my favorites!
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

I have tried knives from multiple companies with differing goals from the makers. I stick with spyderco because the ones i like fit my uses and desires the best and the prices aren't usually unreasonable. Some other companies do certain things better, some companies offer great knvies at a lower cost, but there's usually something about them that makes them less than "worthy" of pocket time.

Tldr;

I basically stick to spyderco because of their, usually, pragmatic knife designs and acceptable cost.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

Sjucaveman wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:43 am
BornIn1500 wrote:
Sjucaveman wrote:

That would be one specific model on sale. But a great price if someone wanted it. :)
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

bouhunter wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:02 am
Sjucaveman wrote:
BornIn1500 wrote:
Sjucaveman wrote:

That would be one specific model on sale. But a great price if someone wanted it. :)
That price plus 10% back from another app for the purchase was enough to convince me to give a grip a try.
Adam
allhatnocattle

Post by allhatnocattle »

Used to carry a rift around, now a partially serrated grip for yardwork. Plus a frost cutlery toothpick knockoff a friend gave me for my nails because it weighs nothing.
CXXX

Post by CXXX »

The last few years I am exclusive to Spyderco, 80% of the collection is Spyderco (That's out of 500 pieces). Variety, Steel Choice, Sprints, This Forum, and certainly Sal & Gail both who I have met on separate occasions; they could not have been more gracious. It is not about money to them it is passion about a great product.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

For folders I carry mostly Spydies. I do have a handful of others that get carried too though.

For fixed blades I have no brand loyalty. Spyderco has some good fixed blades for sure but in that market there are lots of great knives by lots of great companies and even handmade fixed blades are price competitive.

Spydies make up about 90% of my folders and maybe 20% of my fixed blades.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

In the folder department, I have a couple of 'bit on the side' makes/models- In the knife case there's a:
ZT0770
Boker Kwaiken CF
Cold Steel Triple Action double edged variant
Hignokami
Opinel 7
CRKT M16 04 KS (The one where they've finally got it right and ditched that Rube Goldberg LAWKs bobbins!)
Cold Steel 4Max Tanto in XHP (The most Spyderco-like Cold Steel knife I've ever handled in terms of build and feel)
CRKT Otanashi No Ken
Cold Steel Ti Lite (The 6" maximum insanity model)

None sees the amount of action or use my Spydies do of course.....but sometimes you can't help but want to try something a little different- I notice must of my 'other' types are very clearly some shape or style which isn't as clearly defined in the Spyderco portfolio- Particularly the kwaiken/tanto style

On the fixed front it's a different game- I'm polyamorous and pansexual* on that front- I've:-
Mule in Cruwear wearing G10 and kydex,
SOG Pentagon,
FS fighter,
SOG Bowie 2.0,
1980s Gerber Mk2,
BOC M7 bayonet,
1913 Lee-Enfield bayonet,
Cold Steel Kobun,
CRKT Sting
Cold Steel OSS.
(I do love a double edge :) )

*Note- this doesn't mean I'm in love with frying pans....I think.....Not sure exactly what it does mean, but the kids will go about creating labels for themselves that they would be rioting against if they had been applied by others :D
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Sjucaveman wrote:

Ah. But that's a limited time sale price cause I assume the tanto edge doesn't sell well at regular price. I mean, Amazon has the gray Delica on sale now for $64.95 (both sold and shipped by Amazon), but it would be unfair to use that as the benchmark for what a Delica sells for.
Last edited by BornIn1500 on Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.