Is it Time for a New Camo Pattern?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TomAiello

Re: Is it Time for a New Camo Pattern?

Post by TomAiello »

Exclusives in cool camo patterns would probably sell well.

I bet an exclusive or sprint in a Kryptek pattern would fly off the shelves, for example.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

From the outside looking in, the digital camo looks much better, especially for a knife. That "new" camo looks very old-school and I personally wouldn't be inclined to buy it. But I can see the merit in wanting current military issue camo.
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:30 am
i never cared for the camo pattern handle scales, but i get why people like them. personally, i'd rather see more of what we saw in the recent para 3 exclusive (i forget where) with the od scales and brown blade coating. the colors are there and would match a multicam uniform, but i think it looks cleaner. man, that knife was beautiful.
I think MultiCam would look great, but I agree 100% that od green, coyote brown or some combination of the two would be excellent also. They are military colors so each would make sense as a regular option for the Military/PM2/P3 series of knives. Additionally, they would work well with the new MultiCam uniforms, they are more readily available, and they would probably have broader appeal. For instance on one of the popular bushcraft forums that I frequent, a lot of the members love coyote brown gear simply because it's a natural color that makes sense in the woods.

And of course, I suspect there are those who buy it because military "stuff" is cool, lol. :)
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

silvershade255 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:50 am
I mean if we're keeping up with the army uniform changes they'd all be sprint runs anyway ;)
That's too funny, man.
Last edited by Kels73 on Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:57 pm
Exclusives in cool camo patterns would probably sell well.

I bet an exclusive or sprint in a Kryptek pattern would fly off the shelves, for example.
Yes, Kryptek would be cool.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:04 am
(I wonder why they got rid of the digi cam? It was touted as being the best ever.)
That’s called “marketing”.

Personally I would never buy a camo handled knife on purpose. I don’t need to lose it! I much prefer the yellow, bright orange, and burnt orange handle colors. The myriad Delica colors are good too. The knife is always in my pocket, very little cold would ever be exposed, so there’s no need for a disguise.

That said my favorite mil camo pattern is the Vietnam-era tigerstripe. But there are several woodland and grassland patterns I like better.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:02 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
(I wonder why they got rid of the digi cam? It was touted as being the best ever.)

Personally I would never buy a camo handled knife on purpose. I don’t need to lose it! I much prefer the yellow, bright orange, and burnt orange handle colors. The myriad Delica colors are good too. The knife is always in my pocket, very little cold would ever be exposed, so there’s no need for a disguise.

That said my favorite mil camo pattern is the Vietnam-era tigerstripe. But there are several woodland and grassland patterns I like better.
Yes, that tiger stripe is particularly nice.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:02 pm
Doc Dan wrote:

Yes, I am tending to bright colours, having carried on and off my Black Endura.

Knives are surprising hard to find in the bush or in fact anywhere if misplaced, bags, behind seats.e.

I put yellow tags / plastic strips on a fair do mfew things.

Agree re Tiger stripe, it was an awesome camo pattern. Slightly more difference between the green and black would do me.
Last edited by 500Nitro on Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

White is always risky, but certainly would switch things up a bit!
382CEFBBE0A14EF5854E56CCAF1FA8BC.jpg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Talking of Tiger stripe I saw this today.
Attachments
IMG_5667.PNG
Wolfy916

Post by Wolfy916 »

I always like camo, the camo blades that ZT and some strider knives have done are very cool looking. I also like anything Tiger Stripe. The new digital camo has never really appealed to me on a uniform, but I do like it on spyderco handles. I still like the 80's woodland and desert storm style stuff personally, but that could just be showing my age.
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Kels73 wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:35 pm
I'm interested in hearing what others think. Would you like to see Spyderco offer a new camo pattern for the Military/PM2/P3 series of knives?
Here goes. Im most likely in the minority on the below counts.
Having been paid to wear camo, I try to avoid camo items and camo clothing (except when hunting and then I favor non-MIL type camo on those occasions, when/if camo is called for). I realize some military personnel might like a knife handle to match their uniform for the heck of it (lets face it, most often a camo handle on a folding knife has no practical purpose - its just a matter of preference) but more importantly, loads of civilians dig MIL-type camo, so an update of the camo pattern might not be a bad idea.
Kels73 wrote:
Another option would be to phase out the digital camo and make the OD Green used in the new limited edition PM2 a standard offering for the entire Military series.
Personally not keen on OD. I dont dislike it per se. Im just fed up with it. Have worn OD a lot and have so much of it.

Kels73 wrote:
If so, what patterns do you like?
:D If you twist my arm; ATACS Arid.

Kels73 wrote:
And then there's Coyote Brown...I love Coyote Brown.
Amen to that. Big fan. Rather coyote than camo. Any day of the week and twice on Sundays. Wish I had more knives in coyote .... desert tan as well for that matter.

I mean, whats not to like:
https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C85GBNBK2/1114
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

"Having been paid to wear camo, I try to avoid camo items and camo clothing (except when hunting and then I favor non-MIL type camo on those occasions, when/if camo is called for)."

Spyder
That makes 2 of us, even though OD is very good, I just avoid it.

Quite a few after exercise used to go from one extreme (OD/Camo) to another (Bright coloured shirts😀).
superposition

Post by superposition »

I would love to see it. I have always hated the digital camo pattern, and I have been a fan of multicam since it came out. Just looks more natural to me.

I also appreciate what others have said about mossy oak as an option.

I think both ideas would sell.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

Snow camo would be fun!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I’d like something to match my handbag. :cool:

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Wolfy916

Post by Wolfy916 »

clovisc wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:39 pm
Snow camo would be fun!
Tis the season, and people have been begging for more white
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

SpyderScout wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:40 pm
...but more importantly, loads of civilians dig MIL-type camo, so an update of the camo pattern might not be a bad idea.
Yes, this is what prompted me to start the thread. Spyderco offers their Military series in a MIL-type camo. That makes total sense. Unfortunately the current camouflage pattern is outdated now. Is it time for a new camo pattern? In my opinion it is. I think fellow military members who carry Spyderco would appreciate the update, but admittedly we probably only account for a small part of the market. But that's okay, because as you said, "loads of civilians dig MIL-type camo."

As an aside, I know that a lot of us in the US Army and US Air Force had a strong dislike for the sage digi-cam patterns and were glad to see them go. Most everybody seems to appreciate the MultiCams though.

Finally, do I really need a knife with a camo handle? Of course not. I just don't want another knife with a black handle, lol. And if it's going to be camo, then I'd prefer that it be up to date.

And then there's Coyote Brown. Mmmmmmnnn...I would love that. :)
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Wolfy916 wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:45 pm
clovisc wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:39 pm
Snow camo would be fun!
Tis the season, and people have been begging for more white
Digital snow camo?!?!? For me this would be awesome! PM2, Para3, Native 5, Manix2 maybe..Digital snow camo and stonewashed blade? I'll buy 2! :D
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:38 am
The pattern is only printed on the top of the G10, underneath it's just natural/jade G10. I wonder if availability of another type of camo is even an option.
Having started this thread, I suspect it really comes down to this. Spyderco probably has to wait for the G10 manufactures to offer an updated military camouflage pattern before an upgrade to the Military/PM2/P3 even becomes an option.

So if the G10 manufactures eventually discontinue the digi-cam and go to MultiCam, then an upgrade to the Military series of knives might just happen.