The SE mentality shift

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
knivesandbooks

Re: The SE mentality shift

Post by knivesandbooks »

I'd buy a Dyad right away.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Bit surprised at the price of the dyad's
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I think you SE lovers have convinced me to give FFG serrations a try. I'm leaning toward the Delica wharny.
T-1000

Post by T-1000 »

FFG with serrations never appealed to me but judging how well SE cuts on my saber ground endura I am getting curious as well..
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

500Nitro wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:41 am
Bit surprised at the price of the dyad's
You have to see it as buying two knives, or at least a knife and a half. Sal has said a Dyad Salt would be so expensive nobody would buy it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ABX2011 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:52 am
I think you SE lovers have convinced me to give FFG serrations a try. I'm leaning toward the Delica wharny.

T-1000 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:44 am
FFG with serrations never appealed to me but judging how well SE cuts on my saber ground endura I am getting curious as well..

The difference is basically the same as with PE. Better blade grind geometry means better slicing regardless of what edge type it has.
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

500Nitro wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:42 pm
I'll be in on a redesigned Dyad.

It's down my list at the moment but
Definitely on it.
That's really interesting that so many of you guys from "down under" like the Dyad. Because your fellow Aussie "O just O" is a big Dyad fan along with two other guys I've talked to from Australia :) With the wild outback environment down there the Dyad just makes great sense.

Also there probably isn't a place on the entire planet where the Spyderedge would be more beneficial than it would be in Australia. I'm also sure that many jungle type environments would make Spyderedges a necessity as well. Here in Missouri USA where I reside we have a lot of hardwood forests ( like the Ozarks) where a Spyderedged blade is also necessitiy IMO.
kernelpanic

Post by kernelpanic »

Ive never been a fan of SE. Most of what I use a knife for is general cutting around the house, camp use (food prep, string cutting, whittling etc) and cutting wood.
For me a Plain edge is best for this and sharpening in the field for me is easier with a plain edge.
But I have to be honest the only serrated edge knives ive used were Gerber and I was never impressed. I might have to try a Spyderco SE before making any definite final judgement.
Kev
Donut

Post by Donut »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:04 pm
What is it that's different? I have a Military I believe from around 2009 and the serrations are very large/deep compared to some other blades but it still gets the job done.
I think the old serrations, the small scallops were deeper. The angles made it easier for small stuff to get stuck in them.

People mention serrations being good for plastic straps and zip ties. I worry some that I could chip the blade on something like that or break of one of the small points.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

The relative grippiness of a SE blade is one of its best qualities.

I need to track down a Pac Salt one of these days...
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

There are times when I really prefer a serrated edge, but I am not convinced that it is the way to go for everyday use. However, I will admit I could be wrong. I actually like 50/50 PE/SE quite a lot, however.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:39 am

Cliff Notes: SE is the shih tzu and I'm seriously considering not buying anymore PE knives in the future.

A few years ago some of you might remember a thread I made about carrying nothing but SE for 6 months. Back then I didn't even own a Sharpmaker, and part of my goal with that journey was to force myself to figure out how to get repeatable results in sharpening SE, because I saw potential that I was missing out on due to my inability to keep them as sharp as my PE (and ultimately I believe this applies to nearly everyone and is maybe the biggest reason more people don't use SE).

Over the course of that 6 months I figured out how to use a Dremel to strop SE, but it didn't end with me really loving SE and with the exception of my Dragonfly Salt I continued buying and using only PE knives. It wasn't until I got a Sharpmaker and learned how sharpen SE with it and then bought and started carrying my Autonomy that I really came around to actually preferring SE over PE.

Now when I go to cut something, there is an immediate expectation that I've never experienced before, I expect the edge to bite in and grab the material I'm cutting, I expect it to be very aggressive and I expect whatever I'm cutting to separate in a hurry, and it does. When I go back to carrying PE, it is immediately apparent that this action is different and I really don't like it. I've come to expect this so much so, that I practically have no interest in carrying anything PE anymore and that really has me kind of shocked to be honest. The best way I can describe it is "positive snagging"...because it's definitely a grabby kind of feeling like a snag, but instead of that abrupt snag/stop/rip feeling there's a bit of resistance and then the blade just goes through whatever you're cutting. This is 100% dependent on how sharp the edge is.
Spyderco serrations are awesome...

.... but I take it you are not a hunter?
Honest question, as I couldnt get by with only SE knives as a hunter.
You presumably have a bunch of PE knives and may use them for that purpose.

As for snagging, I seem to remember Mr. Janich posting, that he preferred PE as SE might grab/snag clothing-like materials and skate along what ever one might be trying to cut/slice. Hazy on the details though.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

T-1000 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:44 am
That makes two of us.

I have a few others to buy on my list first but it is something I want to do.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SpyderScout wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:29 am

As for snagging, I seem to remember Mr. Janich posting, that he preferred PE as SE might grab/snag clothing-like materials and skate along what ever one might be trying to cut/slice. Hazy on the details though.

Not since about 30 years ago lol. I haven't hunted since I was a kid so skinning and such aren't in my list of needs, but I still 100% prefer PE for outdoor stuff, camping and such. I kinda figured that was a given but maybe not. There are surprisingly a few uses I've found for SE when camping though. I wouldn't trade SE for a good machete but they still really excel at cutting vines and foliage and they're pretty good for making feather sticks. When it comes to camping and outdoorsy stuff (excluding yard work) I'm still firmly in the PE camp but I'd still have some kind of SE on me.

Also I believe you're spot on with the Janich/SE thing. That grabbiness can be a bad thing for self defense, which is ironic given that the Civilian is usually SE.
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Those of you who are curious about FFG/SE may want to look at the Tenacious. It's probably my next purchase and will be a cheap way to try out the combo.
~David
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Donut wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:06 am
Evil D wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:04 pm
What is it that's different? I have a Military I believe from around 2009 and the serrations are very large/deep compared to some other blades but it still gets the job done.
I think the old serrations, the small scallops were deeper. The angles made it easier for small stuff to get stuck in them.

People mention serrations being good for plastic straps and zip ties. I worry some that I could chip the blade on something like that or break of one of the small points.
My old Endura 1 (early 90's Aus-8) has done a fair bit of cutting everything and never even hinted at that (chipping, breaking a point).
I'm looking forward to trying out a new Pacific Salt in H1 and a few others.

With Plastic straps and Zip Ties, even a "not as sharp as it could be" serrations cuts them easily because once you apply
a little tension or force the plastic engages one of the curved edges and they are always sharp and it's cut.
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:55 am
SpyderScout wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:29 am

Not since about 30 years ago lol. I haven't hunted since I was a kid so skinning and such aren't in my list of needs, but I still 100% prefer PE for outdoor stuff, camping and such. I kinda figured that was a given but maybe not. There are surprisingly a few uses I've found for SE when camping though. I wouldn't trade SE for a good machete but they still really excel at cutting vines and foliage and they're pretty good for making feather sticks. When it comes to camping and outdoorsy stuff (excluding yard work) I'm still firmly in the PE camp but I'd still have some kind of SE on me.

Also I believe you're spot on with the Janich/SE thing. That grabbiness can be a bad thing for self defense, which is ironic given that the Civilian is usually SE.
Got ya.
Well, your stock of PE blades was inherent in you 'not buying any more PE knives.' I figured, it was something like that.

As for the Civilian; I dont own one but I dont doubt, that its scary effective for its intended (niche) purpose.
The 'hook' of the Civilian is of course a far cry from the blades, which Ive seen MJ post about - Endura, Yojimbo, Kahr Delica et al. Very different styles of blades and two different schools of SD.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

A few weeks ago two members got together and send me a Salt DF2, SE Hawkbill. I’d never had H1, SE or a Hawkbill knife. Probably why they chose it. After reading this topic I am now carrying it and a small PE knife. Why? I assumed that a SE blade, especially a hawkbill would not cut as cleanly or precisely as my similarly sized PE blade. So I experimented on an innocent piece of notebook paper.

Case not closed but I plan to use the SE on anything that needs to be cut and see how that goes.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

sal wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:21 pm

I'm certainly biased, but I still think we make the best teeth and have the bet ways to maintain them.

I just received a sample of a warnie serrated salt 2. (Jazzed). What a cutting machine!

sal

I agree that you do, and you do.

As for the knife, I think I need one. :cool: I've been carrying a SE Salt 2 for quite a while now.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

MichaelScott wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:24 pm
A few weeks ago two members got together and send me a Salt DF2, SE Hawkbill. I’d never had H1, SE or a Hawkbill knife. Probably why they chose it. After reading this topic I am now carrying it and a small PE knife. Why? I assumed that a SE blade, especially a hawkbill would not cut as cleanly or precisely as my similarly sized PE blade. So I experimented on an innocent piece of notebook paper.

Case not closed but I plan to use the SE on anything that needs to be cut and see how that goes.
Did this to a friend recently, got a "that shouldn't cut like that" followed by "Where did you buy it and how much?" :)
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson