Sal asks you to design a Spyderco.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jazz

Re: Sal asks you to design a Spyderco.

Post by Jazz »

I agree, Stuart. I just shared the ones I’ve already shared in other threads. The Canadian knife, etc. The first pic is the Manbug I really want. I’d also like a clip point/Bowie shape Spyderco. Looking at that pic, it needs tweaking.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I don’t think the Jazzcliffe blade shape is in danger of poaching, it’s a natural progression of a well established Spyderco collaboration design. I’ve really come to like the small straight edges like the squarehead, and would be down with a wharnie manbug. Wharnie dragonfly would be cool too!
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I like pointed blades so I like the blade shape of the Starmate. I've never handled one and I get the impression from reading about it that the blade grind is a bit thick. The handle shape also seems a bit odd, it has several bumps and dips that don't have an obvious reason. Granted if I ever handled one I might think it was great. So my idea for a new design would be to take the blade shape of the Starmate, put it into a PM2 handle, make the blade a bit thinner. I think the handle would allow a blade more like 3.75" long. The result wouldn't really be all that much different from the current PM2 in function, or the Military for that matter, but would look a bit different. So naturally the PM2 is my favorite for EDC and I have 4 of them in my EDC rotation (one in S110V and 3 in M4).
vivi

Post by vivi »

Jazz wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:00 am
Awesome post Jazz! That's exactly the kind of thing I was hoping for! The wharnie manbug is my favorite of yours.
Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:56 pm
Whilst I do like the designs that are presented here. to post them means that they have less chance of ever been considered by Spyderco.

Any factory could make these designs before Spyderco has a chance to tool up, and that would be a huge risk to investment, only to beaten by someone else.

The less folk that see the design, the better for Spyderco.

If, however, you are merely showing off what you like to design, and are not even thinking about a collaboration, feel free. :)
I'd love a company to use my design. After making cardboard mock-ups, it makes me want to stop carrying my usual fixed blades and carry one of my own. If I had some more tools and a bigger garage I'd give it a go myself.
Nate wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:06 am
Vivi wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:14 am
Here is my design....

The Spyderco Companion

The Companion is the newest fixed blade from Spyderco. Designed by forum member "Vivi," the Companion is meant to be an every day carry.

I like it, reminds me of a fixed Sliverax:

h/t Mr. Blonde
Wow that's crazy close. I've never held a Sliverax but this makes me think I should try one out. If I didn't know better I'd say I was completely ripping off that design.

What I did was trace around my favorite EDC fixed blade, an Izula 2. Then I modified the blade to be a touch longer, much pointier, and dramatically less belly. Then I gave it a negative angle in relation to the handle. From there I re-shaped the Izulas handle into a fatter, rounded shape that I felt would offer better grip on heavy draw cuts.

Ended up very close to the Sliverax indeed.
:unicorn
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Some great designs here no doubt.

I have all the folders I’m ever likely to need. The only knife that I haven’t been able to find is a true flexible Small Game Fixed Blade.

Many years ago I had a Gerber Pixie and I literally did everything with it. It was perfect for dressing rabbits, taking fox tails and masks, cutting out pigs bottom jaws for trophies tusks, dressing lambs, small Fallow size deer, cleaning fish, bait cutting ... it was a gem but I lost it.

So the knife I’d design would revolve around the Pixie, have a Vanax SC blade of 0.050” x 0.438” stock x 3.350” long, full tang with 4”-5” G10 detachable scales for a handle or alternatively a rat tail tang or similar and a moulded FRN handle.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Jazz wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:00 am

This knife speaks to me on so many levels. This, the size of the Baby Horn would be wicked. Full lined G10, backlock goodness!!!

No leaf though. Nothing against Canada, I just prefer plain handles.

All mighty Sal, if you can hear my wish. THIS.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
arty

Post by arty »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:33 am
Some great designs here no doubt.

I have all the folders I’m ever likely to need. The only knife that I haven’t been able to find is a true flexible Small Game Fixed Blade.

Many years ago I had a Gerber Pixie and I literally did everything with it. It was perfect for dressing rabbits, taking fox tails and masks, cutting out pigs bottom jaws for trophies tusks, dressing lambs, small Fallow size deer, cleaning fish, bait cutting ... it was a gem but I lost it.

So the knife I’d design would revolve around the Pixie, have a Vanax SC blade of 0.050” x 0.438” stock x 3.350” long, full tang with 4”-5” G10 detachable scales for a handle or alternatively a rat tail tang or similar and a moulded FRN handle.
I misplaced my Pixie after I moved and can't find it. Mine was used a paring knife in the kitchen. The closest that I have seen to the M2 chrome bladed Pixie is the North Arms S35V paring/small game knife. The blade is much wider on this one than on the Pixie.

I would like to see a slightly enlarged version of the Sprig, but with a thinner blade. A 5" blade that is perhaps 2.2 to 2.5" thick would be great. The thinner blade would work for fishing, and a 2.5 mm blade would be good for cleaning fishing or game. I see this as good in S35V or perhaps XHP, but I would prefer S35V.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I had to look up a pic of the “pixie” since I’d never seen one. Much to my surprise, it’s a very familiar form. I have my parents’ set of 4 “miming” steak knives, same handle, shorter blades. Have the matching carving set too. No idea what the steel is. But since they were wedding gifts, that dates them at 45 years old.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Evil D swears by the sliverax, Vivi. I'm sure you'd really like it.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

arty wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:11 am
I misplaced my Pixie ...
Hey arty, hope your little knife turns up mate. :)
Woodpuppy wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:00 am
I had to look up a pic of the “pixie” since I’d never seen one. Much to my surprise, it’s a very familiar form. I have my parents’ set of 4 “miming” steak knives, same handle, shorter blades. Have the matching carving set too. No idea what the steel is. But since they were wedding gifts, that dates them at 45 years old.
Hey Wood, I have a couple of Mimings and they’ve replaced my Pixie. As a matter of fact I dressed the last little Fallow I shot with one and did everything with it bar split the brisket.

Several years ago a mate gifted me a new unused Chrome Handled Pixie (without sheath) in a presentation box but it’s too nice to use and they’re getting harder to come by so all I do is get it out and look at it from time to time. :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
vivi

Post by vivi »

Pelagic wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:40 pm
Evil D swears by the sliverax, Vivi. I'm sure you'd really like it.
It never made it on my radar since it's a detent based lock. I would be curious to hear if the detent is any stiffer than a yojimbo 2 or para 2, but I doubt I'll end up getting one for that reason.

Looks like a phenomenal design though, I can see why anyone with normal luck would like it :D
Nate

Post by Nate »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:38 am

Wow that's crazy close. I've never held a Sliverax but this makes me think I should try one out...

Whew, ha, wasn't sure if I should be Capt. Obvious and point it out or not, but figured the :spyder: catalog is deep enough that maybe you hadn't really looked at the Sliverax yet. It's a **** of a cutter imo, for reasons you mentioned.
:spyder:
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Vivi wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:14 am
Here is my design....

The Spyderco Companion

The Companion is the newest fixed blade from Spyderco. Designed by forum member "Vivi," the Companion is meant to be an every day carry. The design is as compact as possible while retaining a full sized knife feel. The scales are fully contoured linen Micarta, with a shape meant to adapt to any hand size. The deep integral guard and generous palm swell ensure a secure grip in any conditions.

An idea of what it would look like on my belt:

Vivi, your design looks very similar to Ka-Bar TDI / Large TDI. It's like the non-existent medium TDI with a less negative blade angle.

vivi

Post by vivi »

I had a small TDI at one point. I'm sure it's great for what it's meant for, but I didn't care for it in a utility role. I do see the similarities you're talking about though! If I was had the tools for it I'd consider trying the large version and regrinding it to FFG.

I might have to pick one up and mess around with it. I never tried a large version, and for $40 it won't hurt too bad if I end up not liking it. They've really expanded the TDI line since I owned the original....serrations, foliage green, tantos and different sizes....
Cubane

Post by Cubane »

I can answer this one ..

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... ips--82800

hehe

Alistair
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Cubane wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:14 am
I can answer this one ..

hehe

Alistair
You win!
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I wouldn't design anything, but simply take the opportunity to tweak one of Sal's amazing designs. I'd make a few Sage 2 variants.

Sage 2 Salt - Take the just discontinued Sage 2, use a ceramic detent ball, give it a liner-less bright red G10 show side scale, and put in a PE Vanax or LC200N blade. Stick with the carbidized / carburized lock face that's otherwise plain Ti.

Sage 2 Premium - Same as above but with a solid CF show side scale, red coated back spacers, hardened steel lock bar face that also serves as an overtravel stop, blade made from Vanax or M390 (or one of the two equivalents).

Sage 2 Blurple - Pretty self explanatory - Blurple G10 show side scale, S110V blade, hardened steel insert / overtravel stop. Throw in some purple coated back spacers to really kick it up a notch.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Cubane wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:14 am
I can answer this one ..

hehe

Alistair
Hahaha, well played. Your design looks very nice. As soon as I saw the prototype pictures, I thought the ergonomics looked exceptional.

--------------

I had a chance to handle a Sliverax today. To my surprise, the closest Cabelas to me had some in stock. The ergonomics are very close to what I want in an EDC fixed blade. Me and the designer must have similar thoughts on what makes a good knife. As expected, the detent isn't want I want for a carry folder, but I gained a new appreciation for this model.

On a side note, I also handled a Para 3 and Lil Native for the first time. "Eww....why?" sums up my thoughts, lol. Bring on the Chief, that's more my speed.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Lol, ergonomics are the thing aren’t they? The para3 fits my hand so well. The larger knives seem absurdly long by comparison.
jasonp1

Post by jasonp1 »

A Hinderer Collab with the Spydie hole. made in Golden.