Bearded Axes? Broad Axes?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Bearded Axes? Broad Axes?

Post by Doc Dan »

SpyderScout wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:29 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:36 am
They used to use such axes not only for woodworking, and combat in the usual sense, but they also had types that they would throw in a volley. They were devastating, breaking shields, legs, and killing.
If you refer to the vikings, it is highly unlikely, that they threw their axes on a regular organized basis as part of a battle stratagem.
The occasional throwing of an axe is mentioned on the odd saga but Ive read no indication, that volley-throwing of axes were part of viking battle lore.
Whose talking about Vikings? We were talking about bearded axes. And, Yes, in medieval times they had armies that threw axes just as I mentioned. :)
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:29 pm
SpyderScout wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
They used to use such axes not only for woodworking, and combat in the usual sense, but they also had types that they would throw in a volley. They were devastating, breaking shields, legs, and killing.
If you refer to the vikings, it is highly unlikely, that they threw their axes on a regular organized basis as part of a battle stratagem.
The occasional throwing of an axe is mentioned on the odd saga but Ive read no indication, that volley-throwing of axes were part of viking battle lore.
Whose talking about Vikings? We were talking about bearded axes. And, Yes, in medieval times they had armies that threw axes just as I mentioned. :)
The Francs had companies of men who's main purpose in battle was to close with the enemy and throw their Francish axes into their ranks. Very effective according to the accounts I have read.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Doc Dan wrote:
I'm glad you shed some light on that Doc Dan because I do seem to remember them having a place in Medievel times. Also I think I'm right as well believing that those Bearded Axes were somehow an inspiration for the traditional "Executioner's Axe" you see in so many gorry movies and plays. I remember when I saw Alice Cooper in concert when he first became popular in my high school youth way back in December of 1971 here in Kansas City. The Show was at a trendy place called "Cowtown Ballroom" in which many super popular bands played our venue. And the Alice Cooper Band was playing a tune of their's called "Dead Babies" :eek: and Alice Cooper came out from behind the stage with his Executioner's Axe and a really deranged look on his face and cut a doll's head off :rolleyes: :o >> my good pal and late friend Dennis Barkwell literally caught the Doll's Head as it flew through the air out into the audience. He took it to School ( our senior year of high school) the next day and all of our fellow students congratulated him in deep admiration for being lucky enough to get the Doll's Head that Alice Cooper himself executed :rolleyes: :D It's been a few moons ago when that all took place but I remember it like it was a month ago>> my friend Dennis bragged about that all the way to the day he died . His sister recently told me that they still had the Doll's Head packed away somewhere but didn't know where it was stored at. OH well what can I say :confused: The "Folly Of Youth" never ceases to amaze me :rolleyes: Too bad he never had grandkids he could tell that story to :D . But to this day some of our old high school friends that I meet from time to time will still bring that up and talk about it after all these years :confused: .

What a wild way to remember what a certain type of ax looks like :D OK top that one BLOKE!! :D
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Doc Dan wrote:
SpyderScout wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
If you read the thread, several are talking about vikings. Further more bearded axes are pretty much synomynos with vikings.
When you then start your post with 'they' instead of 'Franks' or whom ever, my post in the form of a question is not unnatural.
You did not mention, who you referred to. Prior to your post, there had been no talk of the Franks. 'They' is pretty vague. Im not a mind reader and again my post was inquisitive.
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

OldHoosier62 wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:35 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
SpyderScout wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
The Francs had companies of men who's main purpose in battle was to close with the enemy and throw their Francish axes into their ranks. Very effective according to the accounts I have read.
Franks.
Yes, the Franks did have the 'Francisca' - a very elegant throwing axe.
Looks elegant at least in some renditions.
Ive never thrown one, so cant say how it handles.
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:22 pm
SpyderScout wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:10 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:09 am
The market for these bearded axes is a relatively small one from what I can determine so far.
Well, compared to the multitude of regular style axes sold, yes.
But the following, that buys beard axes and hawks is not to be sneezed at - sales wise.
RMJ Tactical hawks (of which several have some sort of beard or are outright 'viking-inspired' like the Beserker) sell like hotcakes.
Further more RMJ and several others of their ilk have spawned a slew of similar axes and hawks. Quite a few companies have jumped on the bearded bandwagon.
It my impression many of the beard axes/hawks sell well.
As you mention, this trend is fairly recent - at least in regards to being more widespread.

JD Spydo wrote:
The one bearded ax in the BLADE magazine article that really appealed to me was made by "TOPS Knives" and it is the model "VI". It was head & shoulders above the other two they had in that article>> however it has a nifty $229 price tag.
Understandably many balk at the prices for some of these bearded axes/hawks - especially when comparing to how cheaply one can buy a quality regular axe or hatchet.

Check out the bearded CRKT RUNE. Its a good looking clean little tool. Designed by RMJ Tactical as well and affordable. $90 or so.
I have not handled it though so cant vouch for it. Looks nifty and handy though.

JD Spydo wrote:
The more I look at these "bearded axes" the more I like them. And to have one in the size of a hatchet really appeals to me.
Ditto.
I have had a few made.
This is the most recent one
Hey that's a great looking ax you have there SpyderScout :) I'm curious as to which steel that one is made of ? I've been told by a couple of hard core ax guys over at Bladeforums that S-7 is a great steel for axes and hatchets and hawks. But I'm sure that isn't the only tool steel they would be good with. The old Tactical Knives magazine used to advertise for a guy who also made those and I remember he used S-7 in his.

But again that's a really nice looking unit and it also looks like it's well balanced just to look at it. I really like stuff with a full tang>> and that one in the BLADE article made by TOPS also has a full tang. Great input so far guys :)
Thx.
The bearded hatchet is 02.
Excellent for stashing in the pack or carrying on the belt for work around camp etc.

I asked another knifemaker to make me this one. Haft is a bit longer. Its in 80 CrV2.
Handles quite well and packs quite some punch. Breaks down wood for a fire in no time and the spike works well for manipulating individual logs.

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hey SpyderScout that's interesting that you chose "O-2" tool steel because I just met a guy this past summer who made a Hawk with "O-1" and he said he heat-treated it to about 57 on the Rockwell scale and has had great luck with it.

I did some searching last night on the web and I found that there are a lot of hatchets and axes out there that also have S-7 as their selection for the type of steel they use. There must be a reason so many people like S-7??

You most definitely don't want a striking tool with too hard of steel in it. What is good for a knife may not be good for an ax,hatchet or hawk.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

SpyderScout wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
I think he is referring to the Francisca of the Franks. A nice little write up in Wikipedia that might lead you down the rabbit hole of research. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francisca
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:04 pm
SpyderScout wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
I think he is referring to the Francisca of the Franks. A nice little write up in Wikipedia that might lead you down the rabbit hole of research. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francisca
Umm...yes, several seems to have reached the same conclusion, that with the vague 'they,' Doc might have meant the throwing axe of the Franks;

OldHoosier62 wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:35 pm
SpyderScout wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:37 pm
Franks.
Yes, the Franks did have the 'Francisca' - a very elegant throwing axe.
Looks elegant at least in some renditions.
Ive never thrown one, so cant say how it handles.
Now that you bring it up again, I wonder why he would bring up the Francisca in a broad axe and bearded axe thread, as the Francisca is neither.
Doc Dan wrote:
The Francisca does not have a beard.
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Back on track: OP did you take a look at the CRKT RUNE?
I find it a good looling tool ... and it has a nice beard although the design is more conservative than the TOPS, you mentioned.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

SpyderScout wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:05 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
... talking about bearded ...
Francisca does not have a beard.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

Disclaimer- never handled one.. (RMJ)
RMJ seem to me from what I have read, seem popular with the Tacticool Set due to the claims (possibly true) of being nearly “indestructible) due to the one piece construction and the option of using as a Pry Bar.
Plus, the option of use as a Close Combat Weapon.

This feature would not make it as appealing to the more Traditional Set of “Edged Tool aficionados.”
The Spike models certainly would have benefits when smashing through things like doors, walls and windows of Buildings and Vehicles, e.g. Fire Department style Axes which are basically Edged Entry Tools.

These have been somewhat eclipsed in recent years by Halligan Tools (Law Enforcement AND Fire Service Entry tools).
These I have used in the past as Law Enforcement Officer and they are everything expected especially when considering the price.. glad I didn't have to buy them !

Years back, I had a Estwing Hatchet with Hammer Head on top. I probably used the Hammer as much as the Edge. Quite a versatile tool which was stolen, hope it chops their fingers off..
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Bloke wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:27 pm
SpyderScout wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:05 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
... talking about bearded ...
Francisca does not have a beard.
:D
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

kiwisailor wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:59 pm
Disclaimer- never handled one.. (RMJ)
RMJ seem to me from what I have read, seem popular with the Tacticool Set due to the claims (possibly true) of being nearly “indestructible) due to the one piece construction and the option of using as a Pry Bar.
Plus, the option of use as a Close Combat Weapon.

This feature would not make it as appealing to the more Traditional Set of “Edged Tool aficionados.”
The Spike models certainly would have benefits when smashing through things like doors, walls and windows of Buildings and Vehicles, e.g. Fire Department style Axes which are basically Edged Entry Tools.
I dont currently own an RMJ Tactical but most of them look nice .. as does the Winklers and several of their ilk. Good quality and a price to match.
Both seem proven and have no doubt in some instances been carried by folks at 'the sharp end' with great effect and no doubt have their place but as you mention, they are also favorites amongst the tacticool crowd.
People can of course buy what they want with their money.
kiwisailor wrote:
These have been somewhat eclipsed in recent years by Halligan Tools (Law Enforcement AND Fire Service Entry tools).
These I have used in the past as Law Enforcement Officer and they are everything expected especially when considering the price.. glad I didn't have to buy them !
A Halligan Bar and similar dedicated entry/breaching tools are of course excellent and/or better for just that (breaching/entry).
Axes and hawks have been used by the pros to chop down walls inside dwellings to great effect.

I see Halligan Bars + similar dedicated breaching tools as being separate from axes and hawks but not necessarily mutually exclusive.

Sidenote; as Im no high speed, low drag ninja operator and only use my axes and hatchets for wood processing, I found that I had no pressing need for a spike (though a spike is great for manipulating logs in or out of the fire) hence had the spike-less hatchet shown earlier made (after the spike axe).
One really have to mind the spike on the back swing.
Something, which one might consider prior to buying an axe, hawk or hatchet.
kiwisailor wrote:
Years back, I had a Estwing Hatchet with Hammer Head on top.
Estwings are excellent. Cheap to boot.
If one doesnt fancy splurging on a tacticool and expensive axe or hawk, there are excellent tutorials on the interwebs on how to convert a cheap Estwing.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Estwing Cheap?? :confused: I guess it just comes down to what a guy would call "cheap" :confused: Because at a local hardware here in KC, MO USA they have a really nice display of several hammers, hatchets, roofing tools, ect>> and when you compare Estwing's prices to other major manufacturers I don't see where the word "cheap" applies :confused: Now if you are comparing Estwing tools to that of the tools made by Custom Knife and Tool makers I guess I could sort of agree. But by no means are Estwing tools in the category of bargain basement, thrift store castaways. A good friend of mine bought an Estwing geologist/rock hound hammer about a year ago because he liked mine so well. Well he paid well over $50 for it and I hardly call that cheap by any standards.

Please explain to me where the word "cheap" applies to Estwing's impressive line up of tools?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

What I was referring to was a development of the Francisca that later developed a short beard.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:48 am
Estwing Cheap?? :confused: I guess it just comes down to what a guy would call "cheap" :confused: Because at a local hardware here in KC, MO USA they have a really nice display of several hammers, hatchets, roofing tools, ect>> and when you compare Estwing's prices to other major manufacturers I don't see where the word "cheap" applies :confused: Now if you are comparing Estwing tools to that of the tools made by Custom Knife and Tool makers I guess I could sort of agree. But by no means are Estwing tools in the category of bargain basement, thrift store castaways. A good friend of mine bought an Estwing geologist/rock hound hammer about a year ago because he liked mine so well. Well he paid well over $50 for it and I hardly call that cheap by any standards.

Please explain to me where the word "cheap" applies to Estwing's impressive line up of tools?
You extrapolate on my post.

I literally said, that 'Estwings are excellent.'
Nowhere did I call Estwings 'bargain basement' or 'thrift store castaways' (!?).
You claim to be confused; I believe you.

You can get for example an Estwing Campers Axe on the 'big river' for $40.
Compared to RMJ bearded axes mentioned in my post, that is indeed cheap.
RMJ Tactical bearded Berserkers Axe $580.
RMJ Tactical bearded death Dealers Battle Axe $790.

Besides, the Estwing project donor axe made into a bearded axe or hatchet, which I mentioned, came from a well used example, I seem to recall, hence even cheaper.

I at one point contemplated buying a cheap used/beat up Estwing for just such a project myself but took another tack instead.
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:29 am
What I was referring to was a development of the Francisca that later developed a short beard.
Interesting.
A throwing axe with a beard.

Source, please?
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

I've been thrown and I have a beard of that counts.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

I mentioned a beard axe project in a previous post.

A cheap way of getting a beard axe, if one doesnt want to spring for 400-800 bucks worth of 'tactical' beard Axe or hatchet.

I bought a cheap axe. IIRC it was around $20+/-.

A buddy and I made an outline for the beard and proceeded to cut away.

Some slight wood sanding and nearly there.

Haft got a nice burnished look and the metal got some cold bluing.

It might not be as sexy as the tactical counterparts but it has a beard and it handles well. Nice, to be able to place a hand under the beard for finer work.
Not bad for around 20 bucks and a few hours work.

A nice and compact camping/hiking beard axe. It works.