Spyderco Salt Knives as Anti-Shark Defense Tools?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bloke

Re: Spyderco Salt Knives as Anti-Shark Defense Tools?

Post by Bloke »

CanaBrit wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:20 pm
... asking which handgun you should use to destroy a tank ...
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

CanaBrit wrote:
This is a rather comical conversation, its almost like asking which handgun you should use to destroy a tank... I mean, you might get a lucky shot. lol.
Up in Canada I'm convinced that if a Grizzly decides to eat you, its going to eat you. So to go into the water with a shark, if it takes a liking to you you're pretty defenseless. Your only real hope is that it doesn't like the taste of you.
Its akin to and a variation over the how-Id-take-down-an-attacking-ferocious-dog-with-a-knife theme ;-)

The discussion might be entertaining but for the majority of people would end ud with some (futile) running, screaming and flailing of arms before the inevitable happens.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

SpyderScout wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:14 pm
CanaBrit wrote:
This is a rather comical conversation, its almost lihttps://www.gumtree.com.au
Its akin to and a variation over the how-Id-take-down-an-attacking-ferocious-dog-with-a-knife theme ;-)

The discussion might be entertaining but for the majority of people would end ud with some (futile) running, screaming and flailing of arms before the inevitable happens.
But you don't need a knife or gun to kill a dog.
The general way is present a (protectively wrapped) forearm for them to latch onto. Then manipulate them over and stand on one rear leg and TRY to push the other leg apart - the result is broken pelvis and you go from there. It's not easy and can be done.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

500Nitro wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:26 pm

But you don't need a knife or gun to kill a dog.
The general way is present a (protectively wrapped) forearm for them to latch onto. Then manipulate them over and stand on one rear leg and TRY to push the other leg apart - the result is broken pelvis and you go from there. It's not easy and can be done.
:D
The thought of someone having the time/taking the time to wrap an arm and then thinking most people (let alone short statured) can 'manipulate' the attacking mastiff or smaller fur missle into standing on the hind legs and have their pelvis broken whilst the dog all the time is chomping on an arm of other body part is almost as entertaining as the preferred method of punching an attacking Whitetip, Tiger, Bull, White or Mako (at 20 mph) shark.

Byt hey, stranger things have happened and maybe some (certainly not most ordinary people) can pull it off. The two fighting schools of thinking could even be combined and expanded upon :D

Get your opponent on their hind legs and punch 'em!
https://youtu.be/FIRT7lf8byw
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Yes, I know what you mean.

I always taught use your jumper (military so often wore them) and since it's either that or get chewed even worse and then captured by the enemy .... I'll take trying to kill the dog.
Self preservation is a big motivator.

I have tried it teaching the subject with a properly trained Rottweiler and protected forearm. Had a sore arm shoulder afterwards but it did work.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Dingo

Post by Dingo »

My current anti shark defence is perfectly fine...being 90 miles away from the Sea
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

SpyderScout wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:19 am
... stranger things have happened ...
500Nitro wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:07 am
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

:-)
Kudos for it being able to cope sans forelimbs.
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Dingo wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:56 am
My current anti shark defence is perfectly fine...being 90 miles away from the Sea
You should be safe:-)
On the other hand, there are no guarantees; there might be a 'sharknado' near you at any given moment! :-)
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

500Nitro wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:07 am

I always taught use your jumper (military so often wore them) and since it's either that or get chewed even worse and then captured by the enemy .... I'll take trying to kill the dog.
Self preservation is a big motivator.

I have tried it teaching the subject with a properly trained Rottweiler and protected forearm. Had a sore arm shoulder afterwards but it did work.
Self preservation is indeed a big factor.

On the other hand, I used to be employed by the government as a K9 handler for a number of years.
Most ordinary people dont put up much defense against a determined attack from a dog.
Mostly its screaming, running and flailing arms.
Thats just he human reaction to your average dog - against a dedicated attack dog (one whose sole mission it is to latch on to something and shake it violently), the odds are worse.

In a worst case scenario, there wont be time to bring your arms over your head to take off a sweater - indeed you might get severely bit in a soft part whilst working the sweater with your arms up and/or not ready to fend off a dog or protecting said parts.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Dingo wrote:
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

See!

SpyderScout wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:19 am
On the other hand, there are no guarantees; there might be a 'sharknado' near you at any given moment! :-)

:D
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Spyderscout,

Agree, most people it's yelling and screaming and getting bitten - in other words wouldn't know what to do.
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

500Nitro wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:08 am
Spyderscout,

Agree, most people it's yelling and screaming and getting bitten - in other words wouldn't know what to do.
Yes.
Threads on the subject pop up on the forums on a regular basis (not least on knife forums).
There is always some basement ninja relating how they calmly would slash the collective throats on a pack of attacking dogs and get away with it or something or other.*
Reality usually looks different.

*best one was the guy who claimed to have spine whacked two attacking dogs in the noggin and deterred the rest.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Lol. Spine whacked ? I've killed and cut up enough things with knives, getting to the spine or a gap between two vertabrae isn't that easy.

FYI, I used to be scared of dogs, teaching this lesson to my soldiers with one of my Cpls trained attack Rotty's taught me a lot.
Dingo

Post by Dingo »

SpyderScout wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:19 am
Dingo wrote:
You should be safe:-)
I had a tracheostomy for the first 21 years on earth, swimming was not an option,and never got round to learning after. As long as I can float when I’m drunk then introduce a 🦈 into the equation and my probability of survival is pretty much zero.
Besides, trying to generate enough force underwater to injure a shark is going to be difficult in itself,quite likely to **** it right off
robinsmv86

Post by robinsmv86 »

The real question is what do we do when the sharks learn to use knives. Come to think of it wasn't it a shark with a knife that killed Tony in Westside Story?
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Dingo wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:01 am

Besides, trying to generate enough force underwater to injure a shark is going to be difficult in itself,quite likely to **** it right off
Yeah, Im not going to put that to the test either.
Well, it would have to be a very small shark ..

Being able to float when drunk could come in handy.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

SpyderScout wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:33 am
500Nitro wrote:
Spyderscout,

Yes.
Threads on the subject pop up on the forums on a regular basis (not least on knife forums).
There is always some basement ninja relating how they calmly would slash the collective throats on a pack of attacking dogs and get away with it or something or other.*

*best one was the guy who claimed to have spine whacked two attacking dogs in the noggin and deterred the rest.

Is that because people are not psychologically trained to handle such an attack?
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:50 am
SpyderScout wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:33 am
500Nitro wrote:
Spyderscout,

Yes.

Is that because people are not psychologically trained to handle such an attack?
Most who utter such nonsense lack not only experience and training - both physical and psycological but also lack a firm grip on reality.

Its one thing to have wet dreams about such escapades in the safety of ones basement. Reality is an altogether different matter.

Everything is possible pf course - also defeating an attacking dog - but having a determined fur missle comming at you full speed tends to put things into perspective (read stark reality) PDQ.

Its always fun having people like that don a protective suit and letting a dog have a go a them. Lets say, it makes for an attitude adjustment.

Try looking up the countless YT vids of criminals being stopped in their tracks by police dogs.
If hardened violent career criminals panic, scream, bawl like kids and beg pfficers to pull the dog of 'em after having an encounter with a K9, how do you think the average citizen will react to a dog attack of similar nature (rhetorical question).