Spyderco Hatchet

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
captnvegtble

Re: Spyderco Hatchet

Post by captnvegtble »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:04 am
Good to know! It sounded like it was a unique proprietary head and rehanging it was not an option. I wouldn’t be looking to change it right away, I just wanted to know that I could if I ever had to.

Also, I did not mean to imply that I thought the handle would be easy to break. I have split many cords of wood with a fiskars splitting axe in freezing temps with it’s hollow polymer handle and it is holding up fine. I trust the frn with an aluminum core more than that fiskars handle and the Hatchethawk definitely weighs a lot less. I would expect years of trouble free use.

The difference is that the fiskars is affordable and can be replaced if it were to eventually fail which is also unlikely. The Hatchethawk is expensive and I just wanted to know that I could maintain it for life if need be. I would be using it in very cold temperatures at times and you just never know. I would also probably throw it some and that can be very hard on them.
I imagine if the handle ever broke, with Spyderco's lifetime warranty you just send it back for a replacement without problems.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

captnvegtble wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:43 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
The Hatchethawk is expensive and I just wanted to know that I could maintain it for life if need be.
I imagine if the handle ever broke, with Spyderco's lifetime warranty you just send it back for a replacement without problems.
I am thinking long term here. I consider axes to be life long tools and someday it may be out of production and there wouldn’t be any replacements then. It is something we need to keep in mind, a lifetime warranty only covers replacement for as long as it is in production and after that you just get a credit. I just wanted to know if I needed to replace the handle years from now that I would be able to. It sounds like I can so we are good to go. I will be picking one of these up at some point. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:34 am
captnvegtble wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:
The Hatchethawk is expensive and I just wanted to know that I could maintain it for life if need be.
I am thinking long term here. I consider axes to be life long tools and someday it may be out of production and there wouldn’t be any replacements then. It is something we need to keep in mind, a lifetime warranty only covers replacement for as long as it is in production and after that you just get a credit. I just wanted to know if I needed to replace the handle years from now that I would be able to. It sounds like I can so we are good to go. I will be picking one of these up at some point. :)
Yes, me too... I plan on getting one at some point. I really like the design. Some cosmetic blemishes doesn't bother me.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:34 am
captnvegtble wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:
I would have preferred a normal eye for the reasons you stated. Nothing more than a "just in case" scenario as i believe this plastic/aluminum combo will probably outlive most of us.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
sal

Post by sal »

I am sure that f you have a problem with the HatchetHawk, we will take good care of you. I doubt that you will have to replace the handle. You guys are "up the street and down the bock" and you haven't tried one? :confused:

sal
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

sal wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:59 pm
I am sure that f you have a problem with the HatchetHawk, we will take good care of you. I doubt that you will have to replace the handle. You guys are "up the street and down the bock" and you haven't tried one? :confused:

sal
Sal, I agree with both you and bearfacedkiller. I agree that you guys probably crafted a handle that will likely see years of abuse and laugh at it. But 20 years from now will spyderco stock these same handles to replace if need be? Probably not. If these eyes had been sized normally then even 20 years from now after spyderco has long since moved on to other things, a person who bought this hatchet today would be able to replace what's broken.

I told a story of my dad replacing the handles of some of my grandfather's hammers and then gave them to me long after these hammers were out of warranty. I keep those hammers, but they're just hammers. They sit in a tool box with handles my father made. I'll someday pass them down to my son and tell him what they mean. They were likely quality hammers back in the day. Would they be here with me now had they not been user servicable after the warranty expired or the company closed its doors? Probably not, yet there they sit. Rusted, old, dented, and serviced by someone who cared far after the company stopped.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Bodog,

I think that's a pretty extreme argument. Who knows what will be 20 years from now. It's not an heirloom, it's a hatchet designed by someone knowledgeable and built by someone knowledgeable. Whatever the issue, we'll make it good. You bought one, you didn't like it, you already sent it back. Don't worry about it. Perhaps others would like to make their own decisions on the product?

sal
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

I got to handle one of these at Blade and I absolutely loved it. It’s just what I’ve been looking for. Don’t get me wrong, I love the Szabohawk but I’ve been using it for a reason it’s not truly intended for. This is a chopper and a workhorse for sure. I intend to use the heck out of it and get back to you all in a month or so.

Rich
Think for yourself
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

sal wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:59 pm

sal
:)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

This thread makes me kind of sad. Sad that I forgot to check these out when I was in the SFO two days ago! I likely would have picked one up for no other reason than to enjoy throwing it at the big stumps on the mountain behind my house. I went camping with a buddy last year and we spent one of the afternoons playing with some cheap cold steel tomahawks. Two grown men throwing steel at stumps and playing like kids. I need a little more of that in my life.
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

Screw it. You sold me on it after watching a YouTube video I can’t pass this up. Looks so great I just wanna take it hiking and hunting and throw it at a tree and keep it in the truck. That leather sheath is all sorts of sexy. Love spyderco gonna get one most definitely. All sold out that I’ve seen or not shipped yet.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Surfingringo wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:15 pm
... throwing steel ...
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
sal

Post by sal »

Surfingringo wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:15 pm
This thread makes me kind of sad. Sad that I forgot to check these out when I was in the SFO two days ago! I likely would have picked one up for no other reason than to enjoy throwing it at the big stumps on the mountain behind my house. I went camping with a buddy last year and we spent one of the afternoons playing with some cheap cold steel tomahawks. Two grown men throwing steel at stumps and playing like kids. I need a little more of that in my life.
Hi Lance,

Sometimes I think that we're all little kids trying to act like grown ups, in our parents clothes. ;)

sal
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I agree Lance. I threw some hawks with some friends a year ago and I had a CS Frontier Hawk ordered before I even got home. :) Then I broke it out at my big 40th birthday bash this summer and before I knew it folks who I never expected to have any interest in it were in on the fun. By the end of the weekend everybody was talking about getting their own. I think that if you cannot find the fun in it that your inner child is dead. :D
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I've got some 36" handled double but axes and some hand forged tomahawk that I throw. The 36" double bits make you feel really good when you stick them. I like that you can throw tomahawks all kinds of ways. I like throwing them underhand. Just gotta figure out the rotations and you're good to go. I see one of these in my future. As far as handles go. I'm sure you can make one out of wood if that's what you want. Nothing wrong with customization. Personally I prefer old school tomahawk handles where you just slide the handle through the eye. Makes it easier to put them in a pack if you want to. Also makes them easier to replace if you throw them a lot and play handles. Lesson learned. You can't win a game of handles if you play by yourself.
Demon85z

Post by Demon85z »

SFO has the hatchet in stock now. I have one inbound! Excited to put this one to work!
:bug-red-white I collect them all, and use them all! I use the excuse, "I'm trying to find the perfect one", but in reality, they are all perfect in their own way!
Dingo

Post by Dingo »

Any one put these to any use yet?
PStone

Post by PStone »

Received my new Genzow HatchetHawk today. WOW! Just plain WOW! I have come to expect high quality from spyderco, but it still amazes me every time.

My favorite feature I noticed right away, may seem petty, and not at all related to cutting/chopping/performance. But it’s the cover that was placed over the backside of the snap, inside the sheath. I have a few scratched blades simply from unsheathing. Plus I hate that metal on metal sound. So I really appreciate the thought behind that.
Ookami

Post by Ookami »

Dingo wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:47 am
Any one put these to any use yet?

I did a bit of spoon carving recently...

...but then again, I'm biased. ;)

Ookami
Tom Horn

Post by Tom Horn »

I was hoping someone could provide me with more info on HatchetHawk's unique concave/convex edge.
1. Has this edge been done before?
2. Is there somewhere I can find the designer talking about the theory/concept/use of this 'hawk?
3. If this has been discussed before, could you point me to a link?

Thanks.
Too, lazy to list em'. Favorites: HatchetHawk, Serrata, Blue Nishijin Lil' Lum, hundred Pacer, and of course, Paramilitary 2 (can't carry in my state; support KnifeRights.org; so, Paramilitary 3).