Visited the SFO. And the winner is....the McBee???

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

Visited the SFO. And the winner is....the McBee???

Post by Surfingringo »

I got a chance to visit the Spyderco Factory Outlet earlier this week and had a great time. Aside from getting to talk to some of the crew, I had plenty of time to mill around the showroom and ogle all the new releases. Living outside the states and not having access to any brick and mortar stores, I always enjoy my annual pilgrimages to Blade show and the SFO where I can get my hands on some of the knives I've seen in the catalogs. What I find myself interested in when I leave is often different than what I expected based purely on internet photos.

This year was no exception. I put fingerprints all over all the new designs and found much to like but my favorite was one that I would never have guessed that I would be interested in. What was the one that got me excited enough to want to drop some money? None other than the McNees Mcbee. I'm as surprised as anyone.

I am a user, not a collector. I typically gravitate towards larger knives and I always look for functionality over aesthetics. So why the McBee? Well, because it kind of ticked all those boxes for me...just in a very small package. First of all, let me be clear that this knife is tiny. Like really tiny. My first thought when I picked it up was that it would probably be difficult to open one handed as some other small knives like the ladybug are for me. To my surprise though, I was able to open it very quickly and comfortably. I suspect the wider handle is what made it more functional in this regard than the ladybug but whatever the reason, I found the knife very easy to open and close with one hand.

Once open, I got a full (two finger) grip on it and was wholly unimpressed. Before putting the knife back in the cabinet I decided to play around with my grip and shifted to a middle and ring finger grip with my index finger on the spine and BAM, I understood the design. During the middle of all my oohing and ahhing at this epiphany, the young man working the floor laughed and told me to watch the Nick Shabazz video. I actually just watched it and had to laugh. If you want to see my thoughts on the knife, just watch that video and you will see my EXACT reaction to the McBee...minus the yankee accent. :cool: :p

https://youtu.be/zipHM_RceE0

The other things that made this knife special were that it seemed like it would be so functional in such a tiny package. I love my dog tag folder and this knife seems like much the same but with far more functional grip options. Sure, it's not going to slice apples like a Millie but that "Razor blade with a handle" design should make for an insane boxcutter and it should also prove very capable for cuts against a flat surface. I also loved that they were able to incorporate a functional pocket clip on such a small knife. This will be great for a regular pocket, a watch pocket or even IWB.

Anyway, like I said in the opening, I often get surprised by which new knives impress me once I get my hands on them and this year was no different. The McBee was not a knife I expected to like at all yet it was the one that I wanted to buy and take home with me. Unfortunately, the knife was not available yet (I'm lucky I even got to look at a prototype) and I will have to wait until my next trip. That said, the McBee is definitely now at the top of my Spyderco "wants" list.
SG89

Re: Visited the SFO. And the winner is....the McBee???

Post by SG89 »

I have wanted the McBee since the first moment I saw it. I can't wait to have one in hand.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Congrats Lance! Having handled the McBee multiple times including last weekend at Blade Show West, it’s zero surprise to me that you picked one up! It’s an awesome little knife!! :D
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Good info Gringo. :cool:

This funny little knife may well be my first ever Wharncliffe. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Big fan of the design, I'm excited to get one of these as well!
-Nick :bug-red
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Cool :cool:

I'm a big fan of little knives :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Was also thinking of picking one up. Maybe in January. I'm afraid it may get pushed behind sprints in my wishlist but I do wholeheartedly like it
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
vivi

Post by vivi »

Kind of reminds me of the Spin, but with a more robust handle. I can see why you'd like it.
:unicorn
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

This was one of those designs that left me asking, "Why?" However, seeing your explanation and Nick's demonstration, I understand the knife better now. It looks interesting, but my question is, "If I buy it, will I love it in a couple of months or will it rarely be used after that?"
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:35 am
This was one of those designs that left me asking, "Why?" However, seeing your explanation and Nick's demonstration, I understand the knife better now. It looks interesting, but my question is, "If I buy it, will I love it in a couple of months or will it rarely be used after that?"
I have the same question but I am intrigued enough that I’m going to buy one and find out.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Doc Dan wrote:
I'd never carry something like this as my only knife but they compliment something like a Millie well. Pure tip control. Great for a lot of EDC stuff like opening mail and packages, trimming threads, etc. Kind of like an upscale box cutter. Wharncliffes are the best blade shape for tiny knives IMO.
:unicorn
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Vivi wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:30 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
I'd never carry something like this as my only knife but they compliment something like a Millie well. Pure tip control. Great for a lot of EDC stuff like opening mail and packages, trimming threads, etc. Kind of like an upscale box cutter. Wharncliffes are the best blade shape for tiny knives IMO.
Yes, that. Imagine a single edge disposable razor blade with a comfortable handle and a recess for the index finger and you've got the McBee.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Vivi wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:30 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Looking at it in that light, it might be worth considering as a secondary knife. It is small enough not to be intimidating if you have to use it in public, too.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Knife Knut

Post by Knife Knut »

Interesting. An excellent candidate for lanyard customization.

Currently I use Gerber EAB for the roles you guys describe for it, including as a secondary EDC, plus the added functionality as a beater and pryer since the blade is easily replaceable.

But this would be a good substitute for more formal situations.
anycal

Post by anycal »

There are several SFO threads. I'll make a brief post of my experience to this latest one.

I got lucky as I was able to visit Spyderco on my recent trip through CO. It is a nice facility, the people are great, and the showroom met all my expectations. The fact that you can handle any knife is priceless. On few occasions, I was surprised how some of the knives were either smaller or larger than I expected. Even handling something which is not my cup of tea was very interesting. Gave me an appreciation for the knife even though I have no interest in it.

I knew that if I make it to Golden, I was going to pick up a knife. It was going to be either Caly 3.5, Mantra 3, or Brouwer. Well, I walked away with a CF Chaparral.

One I liked a lot more than I thought I would - Shaman.
Peter
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Exactly. There is no way one can tell if a knife speaks to them without some in-hand, and, ideally, some use time.

I liked the look and size of the Lil’ Native and when I got mine I carried it a while then put it in the shelf for a bit. But I have been carrying and using it quite a bit lately and am discovering what an excellent small knife it is.

Have to get your hands on a knife before you really know.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation