Chef is Back, Tell a Friend.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Flipping Addict

Re: Chef is Back, Tell a Friend.

Post by Flipping Addict »

IF I could be guaranteed to not get one with lock stick I would order right now.
Brown_Recluse

Post by Brown_Recluse »

I've been tossing the idea of a Spydiechef back and forth for a while and today a few came in stock on Knifejoy and I scooped one up. Not really sure what I need it for but I'm excited to get it lol
CPM S90V
Maxamet
CPM-M4
M390
CPM 20CV
Lc200N
CPM-S45VN
linuxology

Post by linuxology »

Flipping Addict wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:21 am
IF I could be guaranteed to not get one with lock stick I would order right now.
Not going to happen. I've owned three and all have lock stick.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Spyderman91 wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:24 am
it has been one of the few Spydie's that I can index flick out the box with no wrist movement.
Trust me, there are lots of Spydie's you can finger flick out of the box with no wrist movement. You just haven't found 'em yet. :)

You guys might talk me into trying Spydiechef yet.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Xander3Zero

Post by Xander3Zero »

Spyderman91 wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:24 am
Finally got home from work and I had an orange box waiting for me in the mail.
Opened it up and beheld the glory, first thing's first it came a little greasy (better to be greased than not greased at all).

So I cleaned it, and it became immediately apparent that I had overlooked the finer details of this knife during my first encounter at my local sporting good store. First things first it is one heck of a knife in a slim package, but the blade stock is not compromised at all (nice and slicey, but thick on top).
The titanium scales are very nice in my opinion, smooth but with a "Stonewashed" finished feels excellent in the sleek plus balanced

The action was also superb out the box, it has been one of the few Spydie's that I can index flick out the box with no wrist movement.
I'll have to post pictures of it tomorrow, haven't confirmed if it's CQI or not... but since it just came into Knifecenter (And everyone else is just getting them in) one can only assume. Very satisfied with my purchase, if I could only keep one pocket knife for the rest of my life... this would probably be it.
I got mine in today too from KC as well!

Mine was also heavily greased from the factory... entire pivot area was covered. I did the same thing as you; full disassembly, cleaned everything with alcohol and lubricated with some 85W nano-oil. Pretty sure it is the CQI, as this batch is part of a new delivery fresh from Taiwan I believe. Also the detent ball looked very dark, i.e. ceramic.

I am also loving the small details of this knife. All the hardware sits nice and recessed in the scales, no protrusions. Touch of blue loctite on the pivot from the factory, no issues with disassembly. Love the "subdued" look of the blasted hardware. One thing I noted during disassembly is that the PB washers seem substantially thicker and more robust than those on my Para3 and Native. Blade is immaculate with a beautiful satin grind. Edge was already sharp but I touched it up on the SM with fine and UF rods and now its slicing newspaper like butter.

Mine has pretty decent lockstick right now, will see if it starts to break in otherwise I will have to try and work some graphite onto the blade tang. Lock up and centering is prefect, so the minor lock stick is my only qualm right now but we will see if it goes away like some others have said. Really happy with my first Taichung knife; I definitely see why people rave about the quality that comes out of there.

Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

Had to get a photo of these two together... Chef and Viper Knive's Fortis.
Mine has a little lock stick, but it's nothing that won't solve itself out I am sure. Very impressed with this knife and know it will be a lifelong companion.
Attachments
20181006_154038.jpg
20181006_133427.jpg
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

If any of you had expressed past interest in this model... now is the time. It may be "pricey", but you are investing in a state of the art tool that should
(unless batoned and abused everyday) out last you. You don't need to spend a lot to get a quality product (looking at you tenacious / Civivi) but nice things often come at a cost and life is too short not to enjoy.

On that note happy Saturday too everybody, hope the weekend is chugging along smoothly. Here at work.. but things are slow so no complaints!
Brown_Recluse

Post by Brown_Recluse »

I received my Spydie Chef today. Before this I only owned Golden, CO made, G10 models (Para 3s and PM2s). As my first Taichung model and my first titanium frame-lock of any kind, I'm thoroughly impressed at the fit and finish of this guy. The dreaded lock stick is present but it's not so bad that it takes away from the knife IMO.

I mainly ordered the Chef because I knew they would go quick and I wanted to experience a Marcin Slysz design before it disappeared. I wasn't expecting a new EDC and all around awesome knife but that's what I got. My beloved Para 3s are going to get some time off while I enjoy this sweet little blade.
CPM S90V
Maxamet
CPM-M4
M390
CPM 20CV
Lc200N
CPM-S45VN
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Mass drop is doing a spydie chef if anyone was still after one.
sageadvice

Post by sageadvice »

A question about index flicking -- is the blockage of the hole by the lock bar not a problem? Or are you guys lefties?
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

I can reliably thumb flick mine.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Xander3Zero

Post by Xander3Zero »

I am a lefty, but typically carry my knives on my right side. I like to be able to open/close knives reliably one-handed with both my left and right hand because of this. For the Chef I have found that I can thumb flick with my right hand, with either the pad of the thumb or fingernail, but I cannot get any other fingers in the hole for any type of spydie flick. Now with my left hand, there's no room to get my thumb in, but I can flick with my middle/ring fingers very easily.
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Sjucaveman wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:47 am
I can reliably thumb flick mine.
I can as well but with a little wrist flick to be consistent. Mine also has a little lock stick but has loosened up with use. This knife is still worth every penny! Get one you won't be disappointed. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
mb1

Post by mb1 »

I’m curious where the lockup is engaging on this CQI model if someone cares to post a pic.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Xander3Zero

Post by Xander3Zero »

mb1 wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:52 am
I’m curious where the lockup is engaging on this CQI model if someone cares to post a pic.
I can post a pic later tonight when I get home, but the lockup seems to be around 80-90% or so. By that I mean that 80-90% of the lockbar thickness is engaging the tang of the blade. I think this is normal for this model, but it is definitely alot more than I am used to with a lot of my other frame locks.
PStone

Post by PStone »

mb1 wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:52 am

CQI. Date code “DR”
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Thanks gents.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man