Clips: Love ‘em, Hate ‘em, Don’t care?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Your opinion on clips

Poll ended at Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:55 pm

Clips are a requirement for a folding knife.
72%
Clips detract from a knife’s ergonomics and function.
11%
Clips are an add-on and unnecessary.
17%

Total votes: 54

TomAiello

Re: Clips: Love ‘em, Hate ‘em, Don’t care?

Post by TomAiello »

I prefer clips for 95% of my knives.

I want a removable clip, though.

I do carry a keychain knife (in a kydex sheath--learned that lesson the hard way) and I prefer that one without a clip.

So, clip, yes, most of the time, but removable.

And the idea of a ladybug or man bug with a clip that someone posted recently was FANTASTIC!
embry386

Post by embry386 »

I tend to carry knives clipped IWB or in my socks. Those are both places that you really can't get away with having no clip. Clips are necessary for me for that reason. Also I like the aesthetics of the clips, especially the ones on older Spydies with the patent information written on them, very cool.
ferider

Post by ferider »

juggler wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:42 pm
The thing I like about clips? They're removable...

I understand why they are popular, but for me a clip just ruins the ergonomics and the design of a knife.
This.
PStone

Post by PStone »

Love em. I also prefer the standard hourglass clip.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

My One Eyed Jack is a modern rendition of a classic folding knife. It has only one clip position option, which just feels awful with the knife in hand. I've had the clip on, then off, then on again. I finally took it off yesterday. I put a small paracord fob on it and carry it in my pocket. It feels so much more like a knife in hand now, the size and shape of the handle fits just right and I don't have that clip digging into my palm.

I moved the Rhino clip to the show side where it fits my fingers well and isn't against my palm. I've kept the PM2's clip where it was when I got it from SFO - out of the way. The Lil' Native's wire clip is also on the show side. Moved the Lum Chinese folder's clip to the other side, didn't like that so moved it back. It may just get removed altogether.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation