What did you use your Spyderco for last?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Meat man

Re: What did you use your Spyderco for last?

Post by The Meat man »

Cutting up onions for breakfast

IMGA0232.jpg
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Cut up some jalepenos to put in my stew for lunch with my hap40 delica.
Used my SE wharnie delica for a bagel this morning.

Ive got some boxes to break down after lunch so wharnie delica will be getting more use
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:49 pm

Ive got some boxes to break down after lunch so wharnie delica will be getting more use

HAP40 or VG-10?

We got in a shipment of 0.25" and 0.080" thick aluminum sheets this morning at work. In between the stacks was a 4x10' piece of cardboard. I had fun zipping it all into little pieces with my Native 5 Maxamet. You can make the blade pretty hot if you cut fast!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

The Meat man wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:57 pm
knivesandbooks wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:49 pm

HAP40 or VG-10?

We got in a shipment of 0.25" and 0.080" thick aluminum sheets this morning at work. In between the stacks was a 4x10' piece of cardboard. I had fun zipping it all into little pieces with my Native 5 Maxamet. You can make the blade pretty hot if you cut fast!
Vg10 Serrated. It is a sweet slicer.
I need to bring my hap40 out more though. Want to take the micro bevel off first.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

Today I cut through an extension cord 9/16" thick containing 4 rather large copper wires, with 2 knives. One was a Spyderco Military in s110v, and one was a Cold Steel Recon 1 in CTS XHP. The required very hard force, and even sawing on the wire when i couldn't muster the strength to push cut it. Both were absolutely shaving sharp everywhere on the edge after the cut. I saw literally no edge damage on either. The final bevel on both was just under 40 inclusive. I'm a bit stunned and am becoming a bigger fan of XHP.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Pelagic wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:36 pm
Today I cut through an extension cord 9/16" thick containing 4 rather large copper wires, with 2 knives. One was a Spyderco Military in s110v, and one was a Cold Steel Recon 1 in CTS XHP. The required very hard force, and even sawing on the wire when i couldn't muster the strength to push cut it. Both were absolutely shaving sharp everywhere on the edge after the cut. I saw literally no edge damage on either. The final bevel on both was just under 40 inclusive. I'm a bit stunned and am becoming a bigger fan of XHP.
That really is remarkable! Especially for the XHP.

The other evening I was working late, and decided to have some fun with my N5 in Maxamet. I found a length of extension cord (not quite as thick as yours) and sliced it into little bits. No edge damage or loss of sharpness at all. Then I tried some thick 4 or 6 gauge wire. I pushed down into it, all going fine until I accidentally let the knife twist in the cut. Not good! Left 4 or 5 nasty chips on a quarter- inch section of the edge. It was pretty bad.

It'll take awhile for the chips to work out but I've got them under control now, and it hardly hiccups even slicing phone book paper.
- Connor

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

How the heck do you guys cut stuff like that still slice paper no problem afterwards!? I can use a knife with M4 that's paper slicing sharp, go to work and cut through some tape, plastic banding and a bit of cardboard and it feels a dull and doesn't cleanly cut paper.

I've never reprofiled, just touch up the bevel at times and always the apex almost daily after use. Is there something I'm doing wrong while sharpening? What you guys are doing amazes me!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:11 pm
How the heck do you guys cut stuff like that still slice paper no problem afterwards!? I can use a knife with M4 that's paper slicing sharp, go to work and cut through some tape, plastic banding and a bit of cardboard and it feels a dull and doesn't cleanly cut paper.

I've never reprofiled, just touch up the bevel at times and always the apex almost daily after use. Is there something I'm doing wrong while sharpening? What you guys are doing amazes me!

My knife wasn't shaving sharp to begin with. Well, maybe scrape-shaving sharp. Otherwise I might have noticed a difference.

I don't know about Pelagic but for me, there can be a big difference in slicing paper. When my knife is right off the stones, it will cleanly slice wavy cuts in phone book paper. After doing something like cutting up cardboard or extension cords, it may still slice the phonebook paper but it won't be buttery smooth like it had been.

I've never pushed M4 like I have Maxamet and S110V, but I don't think M4 has quite the strength of those two steels. And remember, cardboard can be pretty abrasive on an edge, unlike thin copper wires, where raw edge strength will pay a greater role than wear resistance.

You might be leaving a tiny burr on your edge which then breaks off after a bit of use. A good magnifying glass or jewellers loupe will help you see what is going on. If there is a tiny reflective line at the very apex of your edge, that's the burr. Removing it can take time and patience, just use extremely light strokes with almost no pressure.
- Connor

Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Pelagic wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:36 pm
Today I cut through an extension cord ...
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

TkoK83Spy wrote:

How you sharpen makes a word of difference and as Connor said a burr is not your friend and can sometimes be difficult to detect.

You might like to try this but you'll need a little face stubble. After you have sharpened your knife put it to your cheek like you would if shaving. If the knife is sharp it will "bite" into the stubble and if you try to pull it away it will stick and pull at your whiskers. Do the same on the other side of your face and if all is well it will stick to and pull your whiskers as it did before. If it bites on side of your face and not the other you have a burr on the side that bites.

Hope this makes sense. :)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Used my Police 4 to make mashed potatoes at camp :D

Already dark or I'd take photos.
:unicorn
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

TkoK83Spy wrote:

You will start noticing a huge difference when you remove the stressed steel from the apex and spend an extra minute doing light strokes at the end.

The sharpening was extra simple. I was using the $15 worksharp sharpener with a small strip of 325 grit CBN on one side and a small ceramic rod on the other. That's it. The CBN is ultra-agressive, and I am starting to like ceramic rods more and more (I'm not as experienced with them as most people here, I have only used DMT stones for 20+ years, ignorant to the vast majority of sharpening products available). As soon as you think you're done, spend another full minute doing ultra light alternating passes on the rod (or stone, or strop, etc). If you have removed all the stressed steel and formed a clean, symmetrical apex, you will be impressed with the edge retention. It may seem like a new steel.

I cannot believe how much pressure I had to put into cutting the cord. At least 50-60lbs of force as I had my hand over the spine of the knife using my body weight to press down, attempting to push cut it. I even told a coworker that the purple knife (s110v Military) will probably receive zero edge damage while the black one (XHP Recon 1) will absolutely need sharpening. I started off bragging on s110v and ended up with a new respect for XHP. He got to see the shock in me when the Recon 1 shaved every hair in one pass (the base, the belly, and the tip). Both apexes were extremely keen and held up exceptionally well for bevels that were very slightly convex (freehand) ranging from an estimated 15-18dps.

I'm not really becoming that much less of a steel snob, but I am certainly keeping an open mind and giving all steels a fair shake before removing them from my potential list of favorites. I am also taking my time sharpening more often. I usually like going fast, but now I'll occasionally do a number of ultra light passes that seem unnecessary. I enjoy constant experimentation. It relieves some of my ignorance and it's flat out fun.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Thank you guys. I will have to give the very light strokes on the fine and ultra fine rods a try. I haven't switched up the pressure used, so hopefully that's the trick I'm missing here.

-Rick
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:38 pm
pull your whiskers....
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! :cool:
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

A year and a half ago I inoculated a pretty big pile of beech logs with shiitake spores and after a lot of waiting I finally had my first harvest. I used my pink Native5LW and my Pattada to harvest about five pounds of shiitakes. I also found about two pounds of lions mane and a couple chanterelles growing out back and used the pink Native5LW to harvest them too. I made a big old stock pot of muchroom bacon and potato chowder. Yum! :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Daily plastic strapping cutting at work
sSNjzz6h.jpg

-Rick
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Carved a little pumpkin with my son. :D

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

The Meat man wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:27 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:

My knife wasn't shaving sharp to begin with. Well, maybe scrape-shaving sharp. Otherwise I might have noticed a difference.

I don't know about Pelagic but for me, there can be a big difference in slicing paper. When my knife is right off the stones, it will cleanly slice wavy cuts in phone book paper. After doing something like cutting up cardboard or extension cords, it may still slice the phonebook paper but it won't be buttery smooth like it had been.

I've never pushed M4 like I have Maxamet and S110V, but I don't think M4 has quite the strength of those two steels. And remember, cardboard can be pretty abrasive on an edge, unlike thin copper wires, where raw edge strength will pay a greater role than wear resistance.

You might be leaving a tiny burr on your edge which then breaks off after a bit of use. A good magnifying glass or jewellers loupe will help you see what is going on. If there is a tiny reflective line at the very apex of your edge, that's the burr. Removing it can take time and patience, just use extremely light strokes with almost no pressure.
I can see that very faint reflective line, though it is pretty sharp. Using light strokes, should I start with the fine stones or go right to the ultra fine at this point?

-Rick
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I'd try to get rid of the burr with just the fine (or even the medium) at this point. If it just doesn't seem to be working you could move up to the finer grit rods. The real skill in sharpening though is to be able to remove the burr and form a crisp clean apex without going to super high grits or strops.

It's tough. I'm still learning and practicing myself. :) Thankfully there are a lot of very knowledgeable folks here willing to help.
- Connor