Sharpening Serrated Military 440V

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Re: Sharpening Serrated Military 440V

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Thank you for the continued tips they are very helpful. Fortunately I have all of that on hand. By the way I have noticed Soft Scrub also works on the stones.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Here are some pictures I took before cleaning the brown rods.

The first picture shows the rod prior to cleaning and it is appasrent the 440V did flatten tthe edge of the rod with its serrations.

In the second picture you can see the edge of one of the rods where it was not sharpened and it is no where near as flat more rounded. Next to it is its brother rod and there is damage present there as well.

After cleaning the flatness tot he edge of the stone is still present only harder to see but easy to feel as is the unevenness of the stones where that blade was ran across.

That 440V is a powerful steel, ordering replacement brown rods today but keeping these for when my Serration monster returns from Spyderco factory fresh and sharp.
IMG_6460.JPG
IMG_6461.JPG
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Evil D wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:34 pm
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:10 pm
Ahhh I was really beginning to think wow that is one Uber tough steel. I will clean the rods and see how it looks. That edge was crazy rough on the CTS-204P I was touching up.

Get yourself some SOS pads or Scotchbrite pads and some Barkeeper's Friend and scrub them up. It also helps to keep them cutting better if you keep them clean.
Just tried the barkeepers friend you were right, barkeepers friend does better than softscrub at cleaning the stones.
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Barkeepers friend has an acid in it that really gets em clean.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:11 pm
Evil D wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:34 pm
Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:10 pm
Ahhh I was really beginning to think wow that is one Uber tough steel. I will clean the rods and see how it looks. That edge was crazy rough on the CTS-204P I was touching up.

Get yourself some SOS pads or Scotchbrite pads and some Barkeeper's Friend and scrub them up. It also helps to keep them cutting better if you keep them clean.
Just tried the barkeepers friend you were right, barkeepers friend does better than softscrub at cleaning the stones.

I don't know what it is about that stuff that makes it work so good. Comet also works pretty well. I'm out of both at the moment and I've been using SOS pads which also work really well. I was worried that since they're basically soap impregnated steel wool that the steel would rub off onto the stones just like blade steel does but they come out clean as new with minimal effort and the soap rinses off really well. I kinda like that I only need 1 part (one SOS pad) instead of BKF and a Scotchbrite pad.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
A.S.O.K.A

Post by A.S.O.K.A »

add the DMT Diafold rod for serrated knives. plus an extra tip, since there are not many options for sharpening super high carbide serrated knives, you will have to coat the sharpening instruments with diamond compound to get optimal sharpening. keep an eye out for loading, as you will have to clean the sharpening instrument and reapply the diamond compound. hope this helps you out.
Every Steel Has Its Appeal :cool:

A.S.O.K.A Edge on Youtube
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Thank you this does help, what do you recommend for a diamond compound? I have different micron pastes for the strops with my Wicked Edge Pro3 system but it seems that would get messy in a hurry. Are you recommending applying the Diamond compound to the brown rods for example on a sharpmaker?
A.S.O.K.A

Post by A.S.O.K.A »

Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:38 am
Thank you this does help, what do you recommend for a diamond compound? I have different micron pastes for the strops with my Wicked Edge Pro3 system but it seems that would get messy in a hurry. Are you recommending applying the Diamond compound to the brown rods for example on a sharpmaker?
Any diamond compound that cuts/ shaves steel aggressively will be good for when your starting coarse. One thing to note, if your using the sharpmaker files for this technique, dont press too hard into the files as diamond particles can score and leave deep scratches in the surface of the file. Its tricky at first but with the right compound micron size, and a little patience, you will make this work. If you want to take the easiest method, purchase a DMT Diafold Serrated Knife Sharpener set( comes with Coarse, Fine, and Extra Fine rods) and buy the Spyderco Ceramic File Set with pouch( the one that comes in a pouch with four Fine files). This particular Spyderco set has files that are actually designed to deal with Spyderco serrated knives. Its most import to understand that 440v steel has a generous amount of Vanadium in it( 5.50%) which means your sharpening has to include diamond abrasives for at least the Coarse(200-400 grit), and Fine( 600-800 grit) part of the sharpening. If choosing to go higher( for example, Extra fine) you can use ceramics or diamond abrasives from that point on. Vanadium is a carbide that can only be shaved down with either Diamond abrasives or CBN( Cubic Boron Nitride) crystal abrasives. Anything under those two being used, you will experience carbide tear out which will leave the edge brittle. Its not so bad if your doing Extra Fine or higher with abrasives below those two.
Every Steel Has Its Appeal :cool:

A.S.O.K.A Edge on Youtube
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

jezabel wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:50 pm
701 profiles are your friend here, hunt some down. I’ve three 440v SE Millie’s which see a tonne of work. All kept alive with Ye olde profile stones.

j
Back in 2012 when the discontinued the 701 Profiles I got two extra sets of them and I'm very glad I did. Because there are many occasions that I sharpen my Spyderedged folders in the field or on the run. The GOLDENSTONE I do believe is going to be a great tool for sharpening Spyderedges also but so far they only have it in one grit selection which really limits what I can do with it.

I'm still hoping that we'll see Spyderco release the GAUNTLET before the year is out.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sjucaveman wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:25 pm
Barkeepers friend has an acid in it that really gets em clean.
I've been looking for a better cleaning compound to clean my stones with for years. But about 12 years ago when I discovered that "Bar Keeper's Friend" cleanser which can be found where you get "Ajax & Comet" cleansers at your grocery store or hardware store or big box store. But I've not yet found anything that cleans anywhere near as good as BKF does. BKF also has a liquid cleaner that I like to soak in for hours before I do a thorough cleaning. Recently I also found a new BKF polishing cleaner that works excellent for stainless and other steels. The entire line of BKF products are truly great for stones and blades.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I was just thinking, if you actually managed to chip the stones while sharpening I would say you're being way too aggressive with your strokes. That seems more likely than the steel itself simply being too hard/tough/etc since ceramic is still far harder than this steel is. Have you watched the Sharpmaker video yet?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Evil D wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:41 am
I was just thinking, if you actually managed to chip the stones while sharpening I would say you're being way too aggressive with your strokes. That seems more likely than the steel itself simply being too hard/tough/etc since ceramic is still far harder than this steel is. Have you watched the Sharpmaker video yet?
It has been years since I watched Sals Video. No chipping of the brown stones or others.

(Used the Spyderco file pack mentioned earlier, used my work sharp white ceramics and the triangle white Fine ceramics no damage on any of them)

Yes was using light pressure but the edges flattened out. I spent allot of time on the brown stones with it but got no where really.

No worries new stones in the mail, they were old and heavily used anyway.

Seems to me that the high level of Vanadium really does require starting with Diamond and coarse ones at that, perhaps more coarse than the VEFF Sharpener can provide. Was not impressed using it on this steel but then again nothing else worked either.

I think the problem was the knife was allowed to get too dull I bought it on eBay and whomever owned it used it enough to dull it out and never bothered to hone it?

I sure hope that it is not the norm for that blade being unable to cut cardboard worth a darn let alone paper.

I am not familiar with the serrations on this earlier model of the knife and I may be mistaken but they are no where near as good as the current serrations one finds on the Paramilitary 2, the Para 3 or other modern knives based on what I have seen.

My Military partial serrated DLC which uses different serrations again, those serrations flat out suck they are too big, too aggressive in appearance but not in use and coating them in DLC only made the matter worse. What in the world are you supposed to cut with those anyway cardboard just hangs in the scallops.

It appears the Military Partially serrated non DLC did receive a change to the serrations in later models the scallops are less deep and more in line with the plain edge. Like they are now in production blades. I guess the Spyder edge has been constantly evolving, too bad they don't bring more of the current awesome spyder edges into so many of the newer blades not just the low end FRN stuff.

I am hopeful that this one will come back from its spa treatment with really great cutting serrations, I am used to being able to catch paper or other materials in the scallops locking in and slicing.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:41 am
jezabel wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:50 pm
701 profiles are your friend here, hunt some down. I’ve three 440v SE Millie’s which see a tonne of work. All kept alive with Ye olde profile stones.

j
Back in 2012 when the discontinued the 701 Profiles I got two extra sets of them and I'm very glad I did. Because there are many occasions that I sharpen my Spyderedged folders in the field or on the run. The GOLDENSTONE I do believe is going to be a great tool for sharpening Spyderedges also but so far they only have it in one grit selection which really limits what I can do with it.

I'm still hoping that we'll see Spyderco release the GAUNTLET before the year is out.
I love my Golden Stone but like you point out only 1 grit. It is a very good grit for putting a toothy working edge on a blade fast I am however disappointed in Sal's lack of work with this product it has been out a long time now and no stand or promised video. It is my opinion that this stone has never received the attention it deserves because it was has never gotten the attention it deserves from Spyderco.

Spyderco started out as making things to make things sharp but has gotten away from that and really went with making perfectly sharp things.

I say there are room for both and allot of people have arrived in the market they abandoned for the most part.

Hopefully this new Gauntlet device will put Spyderco firmly in the position of a leader in the making thigs sharp category again.

BTW anyone have any pictures of what this gauntlet is supposed to be?
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Spyderco just called, looks like they will have no problem sharpening the serrations. Wow that is what I call a quick reply I just mailed the knife to them this past Saturday. Spoke t a very nice person. Very impressed thus far.