Buying my second Spyderco.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tps3443

Re: Buying my second Spyderco.

Post by tps3443 »

I watched the Paramilitary torture test from bladeHQ. All I can say is wow. It seems very tough. But, after hard use and the knife developed side to side motion play in the blade. How is that fixed? Re tighten ? New bushings?
“My daily razor blade”
Microtech Stitch CTS-204P stonewashed blade
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P Black DLC
^Wicked Edge guided system^
Drewthebrave

Post by Drewthebrave »

tps3443 wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:49 am
Yea I really like the PM2 it is about the same size as the Tenacious. I’m not sure if I will like the ball bearing lock on the Manix 2. The Native 5 looks great, but maybe a little to small like the PM3 too.

I do however love the leaf shaped blade on the Manix 2, and Native 5. If I did order one, it would be G10 grips.

If only I could buy all of them. Then that would make it easier.

I’m thinking the PM3, or Native 5 is a 3rd knife purchase, once I realize I don’t need a 3.3” or larger blade.
Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with any of those. It's less a question of "which one?" and more a question of "which one first?"

If you're looking into something slightly smaller for your 3rd Spydie, you should definitely consider a Delica or Tasman in addition to the ones you listed. ;)
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

tps3443 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:00 pm
I watched the Paramilitary torture test from bladeHQ. All I can say is wow. It seems very tough. But, after hard use and the knife developed side to side motion play in the blade. How is that fixed? Re tighten ? New bushings?
It’s not..well not by users at least-
Spyderco themselves may do it for you but some parts are not available for purchase
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

I did suggest the BBS para3 earlier and since there are so many good suggestions maybe another thought would be 2 dragonflies? BRG ZDP-189 and a H1 SE hawk bill. Super steel that's stainless and a super stainless steel...just a thought. :D
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

tps3443 wrote:
Is this the video you watched? If so, I'd say the knife did very well considering. Depending how loose the pivot screws were to begin with they might be able to tighten the pivot to get rid of some of that side-to-side play. Also keep in mind that what they were doing would be a last resort situation. At least for me it would.

https://youtu.be/_zc7wesmuA4
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:43 pm
tps3443 wrote:
Is this the video you watched? If so, I'd say the knife did very well considering. Depending how loose the pivot screws were to begin with they might be able to tighten the pivot to get rid of some of that side-to-side play. Also keep in mind that what they were doing would be a last resort situation. At least for me it would.

https://youtu.be/_zc7wesmuA4

Yes definitely last resort. I’m sold on it though, especially S110V, cutting 1.14 miles of cardboard, and carving wood, and popping through zip ties, and power cords; and the knife still cuts phone book paper.

Honestly, I think I’m just gonna run the knife until it becomes dull. Then I’ll mail it to Spyderco and say, “Doesn’t cut anymore” lol please sharpen.
“My daily razor blade”
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

Well everyone, I ordered a Spyderco Paramilitary S110V Blurple from BladeHQ.

I really wanted the Military S110V, but I couldn’t afford it at $191.
“My daily razor blade”
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Great choice! Let us know what you think of it.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Well done mate. Enjoy! :spyder:
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

S110V Paramilitary 2 sounds like an excellent choice. I own the S110V Military and I bought a special holster for it that opens the knife when you draw it out. It rocks!!!

I ordered the sheath from Micah at Black Bear Custom Kydex blackbearck.com
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Stromboli

Post by Stromboli »

You have to get a PM2. You will likely identify something you like better later, but a PM2 is a great choice.

I got the blurple. It's fine, but I refer to it as my wife's knife, even though she doesn't carry it. I'll get a black in S30V soon.
A.S.O.K.A

Post by A.S.O.K.A »

Really, what it comes down to is your preferred handle length, blade length, and steel type for your everyday tasks. still happy for you on your knife purchase. All I have to say is, keep your eye out for Shaman sprint runs.
Every Steel Has Its Appeal :cool:

A.S.O.K.A Edge on Youtube
redhawk44357

Post by redhawk44357 »

tps3443 wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:37 pm
Well everyone, my cut is still healing and I’m ordering my second Spyderco Monday. My budget is around $165ish range. I really want to try S110V, but I’m open to anything really. My current knife is a Tenacious, so just about anything is an upgrade over 8cr13mov. I’ll still use my Tenacious for dirty work mostly.

I’m kind of Leary to buy from Amazon, or eBay.

I just wanna make sure I’m getting an Authentic Spyderco.

I’m thinking a Paramilitary 2 in S110v?

I’d love to hear everyone’s opinions.

Thank you in advance, I’m new to knives so all comments are very much appreciated!!

Oh and, any recommendations on where to buy online is a welcome too.
Try Knifecenter Always had good results from the .
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

Anyone know shipping times with BladeHQ? I opted for the extra +$2.99 shipping instead of the free shipping. But, it says 4-8 businesses days. That seems kinda long. I hope I get it by Thursday or Friday. Staring a new parts manager job, with frequent cutting apparently. Ready to test out 1+ miles of cardboard myself lol!

Anyways I’m seriously excited guys. Coming from a Tenacious, to PM2 S110V.
“My daily razor blade”
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

The last time I placed an order with Blade HQ it arrived four days after I placed the order, and that was with the free shipping option. Sometimes it takes up to six days or so. Unless you live on the moon, you should have it by Saturday or Monday at the latest.
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

Credit card came in the mail today, with a fresh knife addiction; this is not good! This forum is terrible! I should have never came here lol. It was all those pictures everyone post up.
“My daily razor blade”
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

tps3443 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:12 pm
Credit card came in the mail today, with a fresh knife addiction; this is not good! This forum is terrible! I should have never came here lol. It was all those pictures everyone post up.

Yep, when I joined I thought $50 was a lot to spend on a knife. Now I don't even want to think how much I've got invested. :eek:
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

tps3443 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:40 pm
Anyone know shipping times with BladeHQ? I opted for the extra +$2.99 shipping instead of the free shipping. But, it says 4-8 businesses days. That seems kinda long. I hope I get it by Thursday or Friday. Staring a new parts manager job, with frequent cutting apparently. Ready to test out 1+ miles of cardboard myself lol!

Anyways I’m seriously excited guys. Coming from a Tenacious, to PM2 S110V.
I ordered something from BHQ last Friday. Received my shipping notification Saturday night. I checked the tracking yesterday and it's scheduled to be delivered on Friday.

Let me know how that 1+ miles of cardboard works out for you.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

tps3443 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:12 pm
It was all those pictures everyone post up.

Tell me about it. It’s the best and worst at the same time.
- best wishes, Jazz.
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

Well, I’ll decide on my 3rd Spydie. While I wait on my 2nd one to arrive.

Maybe a Manix 2, in FRN light weight.

I will post photos as soon as my new toy gets here everyone, and how it performs, with a detailed opinion from a knife person with minimal experience of any knives . So I will keep everyone posted!

“My daily razor blade”