Finally picked up a Goldenstone

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
blues

Re: Finally picked up a Goldenstone

Post by blues »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:38 pm
Sometimes I get the sense that I'm the only one who rarely puts my Sharpmaker "away" all closed up when I'm not using it. It stays on the side of my desk ready to go.
I have two that stay out 24/7. One older version with just the 20* setting, and one more recent version with both the 15 and 20 degree slots. One in the workshop downstairs, and one on a side table in a spare bedroom turned into a library / den / all-purpose room.

Always looking for something that needs a touch-up.
- Retired from the chase -
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

Evil D wrote:
Sometimes I get the sense that I'm the only one who rarely puts my Sharpmaker "away" all closed up when I'm not using it. It stays on the side of my desk ready to go.
If only I had the space to dedicate a table to sharpening. Sharpmaker, KME, some strops. Ooh, that'd be nice. Alas. Maybe someday.
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Evil D wrote:
My SM rarely gets put away. It generally stays set up on my work bench in the garage, which is about 15 steps away from my office where I usually hang out, or it's on my desk. I use it almost every day. So what's the point of putting it away? I used it a few times over the weekend and again a few minutes ago to sharpen a K05.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Evil D wrote:
You aren’t the only one.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Well, my sharpmaker is all folded up neat and tidy. I wish I had a place to just set it, but I don't -- and I could see it getting knocked over and the rods busted, so that is how it is for me. But just for you guys I pulled out the Goldenstone and did a quick touchup on my "desk knife" (a RAT-2 with AUS-8). It got that little rascal much better in a jiffy!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

This past week I've been going back and forth and hitherto different places helping a good friend of mine with a project and I've been carrying in my fanny pack my set of 701 Profiles, my old DUCKFOOT and one of my GOLDENSTONES as a set. It's been extremely handy and I don't have the need for any set up tools or clamps like I would with the 204 Sharpmaker.

And for these 3 sharpening tools you don't need hardly any set up time or other aids of any type. Like I said earlier when Mr. Glesser decides to give the green light for more additional grit selections for the GOLDENSTONE it will make a whole new generation of portable sharpening tools.

Even as portable and convenient as the 204 Sharpmaker is>> it still can't be implemented nearly as fast as a set of GOLDENSTONES could used.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:59 pm
Well, my sharpmaker is all folded up neat and tidy. I wish I had a place to just set it, but I don't -- and I could see it getting knocked over and the rods busted, so that is how it is for me. But just for you guys I pulled out the Goldenstone and did a quick touchup on my "desk knife" (a RAT-2 with AUS-8). It got that little rascal much better in a jiffy!

Well "back in my day" in high school we had these classes called "shop" lol.

I've got this old wooden wall shelf with a big purdy heart in the middle that I made my mom back in I think the 7th grade or so. It hangs in the corner by my PC desk and most of my sharpening stuff stays there but my Sharpmaker is usually on the edge of my PC desk where I do all the sharpening. You just need to get back into wood shop and make a nice purdy heart shelf so you have somewhere to put it lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I have one area in my home where I do almost 90% of all my sharpening chores. But for the times I'm out and about going places it's really nice to have some sharpening tool to get you by until you get back home. And the GOLDENSTONE is close to perfect for that scenario. And like I said earlier if they ever get more grit selections it's going to be much more used than it is at that time. I can't tell you all how many times just in the past 3 to 4 months that I've wanted an "Ultra-Fine" GOLDENSTONE. That would be big in my bug-out, survival tool kit.

Until the GAUNTLET system ever makes it to the open market I'm going to make the GOLDENSTONE my main interest in portable sharpening tools. Or if my ultimate wish were to come true and they were to bring back the 701 Profiles in multiple grits which would really bolster my set of portable sharpening tools. But I do think that the overall concept of the GOLDENSTONE has several possibilities for being the ultimate portable sharpening tool but it really needs a wider grit selection.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

olywa wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:51 am
sal wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:25 pm
Hi,

My bad on the Golden stone. I do have a plan but am having execution problems. Still plan a video, 30 degree stand, CBN version. I guess we can considered an ultra fine if the model is successful?

I'm on the road right now and have one with me, along with a stand, Duckfoot and double stuff 2.

sal
Hello Sal,
Any chance of seeing what your 30 degree base stand looks like? Love a pic if you've got the time.
Hi Sal I have owned a Golden Stone for a couple of years now and it is great. Will there ever be a video on how to use it? I would really like to learn more especially when it comes to serrations.

So far the golden stone is one of my favorites and I really like the grit it is very good for CTS-204P, M390 and Elmax gives it a nice toothy working edge. S30V and S35VN work well with it also.

I have been using it pretty much only by the set degrees and tilting it. This morning I colored in the edge with a sharpie and tried using it flat and was really impressed 2 swiped either side and made CTS-204P Military nice and sharp.

Thank you very Much.
sal

Post by sal »

the "plan" includes a 30 degree stand and a video. We just have a lot going on and it hasn't happened yet.

sal
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Thanks for the reply Sal nice to know you are a live with us. Is there anyway we could convince you to rerelease the 701 stone kit? I would love to buy it.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Oh NO!!! that's just not true at all because I'm almost using one of my 204 Sharpmakers almost daily. I've had my Sharpmaker #2 unit on my granite serving bar ever since I had my latest surgery done>> there has only been about 2 to 3 days I haven't used it. Since I've gotten a treasure trove of really nice German made culinary knives at these local thrift stores I've been doing some kind of sharpening almost every day. I do so much with my Sharpmaker that I'm finding myself cleaning my stones at least 3 to 4 times a week. But I rarely sharpen more than 3 knives before I thoroughly clean my stones.

When I get a bigger place to live here in the next year or so I'm going to have a completely dedicated room to use for Sharpening and having set ups for all kinds of knife projects. So I'm not too far behind you Brother :D

I so much want to see about 5 to 6 grit selections of the GOLDENSTONE. Also I think it's high time we had a really coarse stone for rapid stock removal for really beat up blades. I truly wish I knew why the GAUNTLET system is taking so much time to be released to the main market :confused: :confused: >> I got a feeling that in the next two years we are going to see some really nice new products coming forth from Spyderco's product pipeline.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

What is the gauntlet system supposed to consist of?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:23 am
What is the gauntlet system supposed to consist of?
I can't really answer that. Now a good friend of mine who was at the 2017 BLADE Show in ATLANTA, GA USA stopped at Spyderco's booth and seen a prototype of the GAUNTLET Sharpening system. He told me from what he could ascertain that it had more options and it seemed to be a really versatile sharpening system/kit. He did say that it appeared to have more options on sharpening serrations which immediately got my interest. And keep in mind that my friend has a 204 Sharpmaker and likes it about as much as I like it>> so he's no stranger to Spyderco's sharpening tools.

Every sharpening tool of Spyderco's that I own I really like and I use them quite a bit. So with that track record I just know in my gut I'm going to like The GAUNTLET system whenever it get's released. And whatever the holdup is on releasing it to the open market is really baffling to me>> my wild guess would be some type of manufacturing problem.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Thank you, well I am certain knowing how Spyderco is when it comes to doing things right, when it is released it will be incredible. I too am a big fan of serrations.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

I’m interested in this product. Would like a video.
I use my sharpmaker frequently and it doesn’t take much to set up, but a golden stone that gets pulled out of a kitchen drawer might be faster and easier.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

SF Native wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:34 pm
I’m interested in this product. Would like a video.
I use my sharpmaker frequently and it doesn’t take much to set up, but a golden stone that gets pulled out of a kitchen drawer might be faster and easier.
Having owned one for a few years now I carry it everyday even sharpen the boss’s knife with it.

It is worth the purchase.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It isn't so much the set up of the Sharpmaker that makes it less portable for me, it's the size when closed up. It's just too bulky to tote around even in my backpack. I'm gonna have to work on making my own version of the Fold-A-Vee that holds Sharpmaker rods.
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

What grit is this comparable to? Same as the fine bench stone?
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:02 pm
What grit is this comparable to? Same as the fine bench stone?

I don't have any bench stones but it seems slightly more aggressive than the fine Sharpmaker rods but not as aggressive as the browns.
~David