Really bad cut.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
brainfriction

Re: Really bad cut.

Post by brainfriction »

VashHash wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:16 am
Commercially available super glue isn't the safest thing for cuts. Especially deep gashes. I'm also in the get it checked by a doctor group.
Yeah, for a bad cut like the OP it's just a stop gap until you get to a doctor. There's also a pharmaceutical grade superglue called Dermabond that also contains an antibacterial. You can find a tube on amazon for like 20 bucks.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I've been stabbed in the hand twice. I do not recommend it. I cut the tip off of my middle finger fixing dinner for a group of green berets. I have cut my middle finger at the proximal joint down to the bone with a linoleum carving knife, and I have had more cuts than I can remember. If it is bad, it is best to get it checked out by a doctor.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

Before I cut my self, I used antibacterial soap that was at the kitchen sink to wash some random cutting debris off my knife blade, I had washed my hands as well.

Then I went to Lowe’s and sliced my self, the blade was clean, my hands were clean. Especially since it is on the top of my finger.

I did not wash the cut, I wouldn’t use alcohol, or peroxide. Knowing those things can damage tissue. It was a clean cut, and luckily a clean blade just by chance!

So I crazy glued it shut, I sealed it and nothing can get in. I checked it this morning, after a bandaid change. And it is sealed shut, even while bending my finger. It doesn’t hurt, only if I reach to grab something that low down, then blood starts to pump you can feel a slight discomfort only briefly.

So, I think I’m ok. And I feel confident it will heal perfectly.
“My daily razor blade”
Microtech Stitch CTS-204P stonewashed blade
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P Black DLC
^Wicked Edge guided system^
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

My wife cut her finger tip off with one of the Spyderco kitchen knives. I've been lucky. I was cutting something and the knife slipped and cut right through my jeans in the crotch. Luckily it didn't hit the artery in my leg or other things that are close. I didn't even feel it cut the fabric just glided right through.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
JDWY

Post by JDWY »

Hope you heal up quick and with no problems. Small comfort, but at least you can say you weren't being careless. An oddball accident like that could happen to anyone.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

happens often to me. :o
Most times I glue it closed and it's fine, but sometimes you know you gotta get stitches,
and I recommend getting them in those cases, the other option is often longer, more painful, more expensive and not worth it

My last cut in May 2018 was one of those instances:
► Show Spoiler
heal fast and well!! ;) :spyder:
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:29 pm
If you hit the bone you probably should get stitches. Gluing it shut isn't the best idea if it's really that deep.
The problem I’ve had with CA glue is it doesn’t hold long enough. For deep cuts you need something that will maintain pressure for several days, and glue peels off soon because the skin lets go. I’ve made do by re-gluing as I noticed it failing.

For a back of the finger cut, I dunno, I would probably see how it goes with glue. Now that I have kids I stock steri strips which can help in a pinch too. If it were a cut to the bone on the underside of the finger I think a trip to urgent care is a good idea.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

tps3443 wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:59 am
Before I cut my self, I used antibacterial soap that was at the kitchen sink
Well, I certainly have to hand it to you. I never have the foresight to sterilize myself before I seriously injure myself.

As for CA glue, it is your hand and body -- CA glue was, as I understand, developed for field use by injured servicemen during the Vietnam war,
so it is not an unreasonable thing to use.

My worry is infection -- especially if you cut all the way down to the bone. Bone infections are a serious pain in the ___.
Keep a close eye on it and if there is any sign of infection, get to some medical aid.

I am a huge fan of peroxide, and have had great results with it, but on much less serious and less deep infections.
Slash

Post by Slash »

Either have a curved needle and thread with someone that knows how to sew or go to a pro. Crazy glue would be my last option.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

zhyla wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:44 pm
Evil D wrote:
If you hit the bone you probably should get stitches. Gluing it shut isn't the best idea if it's really that deep.
The problem I’ve had with CA glue is it doesn’t hold long enough. For deep cuts you need something that will maintain pressure for several days, and glue peels off soon because the skin lets go. I’ve made do by re-gluing as I noticed it failing.

For a back of the finger cut, I dunno, I would probably see how it goes with glue. Now that I have kids I stock steri strips which can help in a pinch too. If it were a cut to the bone on the underside of the finger I think a trip to urgent care is a good idea.

I keep a tube in my first aid tin that I keep in my bag with me 24/7, I usually glue it initially but it really depends on how deep it is. I don't need doctor bills and I don't mind scars but I don't need to lose a finger to infection either.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Mstach07

Post by Mstach07 »

zhyla wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:44 pm
Evil D wrote:

I also am a firm believer in steri strips and buy bulk for me and the kiddos. Sure beats super glue when trying to clean the wound and allows for triple antibiotic to find its way into any remaining cut that hasn’t self healed, as compared to super glue. But when in a pinch, duct tape.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:34 pm
I keep a tube in my first aid tin that I keep in my bag with me 24/7, I usually glue it initially but it really depends on how deep it is. I don't need doctor bills and I don't mind scars but I don't need to lose a finger to infection either.
My neighbor is a PA and told me bacteria getting trapped in the wound is the only real downside. You definitely want it clean before gluing. It’s not really a big deal, but if it gets infected and you have to pull the glue off that’s a bad day.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Take this as you will.

I'm a former Army Medic, EMT-I, and have worked in the medical field for 19 or so years. When I worked at an Urgent Care Clinic if we got a patient with a laceration to the bone we would send them to the ER. Reason being was for better imaging studies to make sure nothing important was cut and no chipping to the bone. A prescription for Antibiotics is given the majority of the time because of the risk of a bone infection.

Just something to think about for the next time.

As for now I'd just recommend you watch for any signs of infection (redness, streaking, discharge, swelling, pain etc). If you start to experience any of that go see a Doc. Also any signs of nerve/tendon damage (numbness, tingling, loss of range of motion, pain with movement, etc) go see a Doc.

Re: Superglue for wounds

It works, but it does contain toxic chemicals and should not be used in deep cuts - only applied across the outer edges of the cut. Dermabond and other medical grade glues are essentially non-toxic super glue. Even then, the stuff is still only applied along the outer edges of a laceration. Also avoid using Gorilla Glue. Gorilla Glue expands as it hardens to fill in cracks - not the best stuff for a cut. How do I know? I have a scar on my middle finger tip from using it :) Wife left a pointy bread knife in the sudsy sink water an did not tell me when I went to wash the stuff.
Last edited by Halfneck on Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

I did just what the OP did across the top of 2 fingers, cut deep, still got two white lines/scars.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
MissingMontana

Post by MissingMontana »

All the above advice regarding medical treatment and stitches is excellent.

Xacto Knife Blades are used extensively where I used to work, and they are as sharp as a scalpel.

I've successfully used "butterfly" tapes to temporarily stitch a wound to control bleeding, wrap in gauze, and transport to hospital for further medical attention.
Attachments
500158-2T.jpg
500158-2T.jpg (49.79 KiB) Viewed 1937 times
North of 49
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

Here’s an update. The first two photos were the day after, LAST photo was taken today! It was easily halfway through, or better. It has sealed up though! No more glue, or anything. And no stitches lol

Im happy it’s almost over.

“My daily razor blade”
Microtech Stitch CTS-204P stonewashed blade
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P Black DLC
^Wicked Edge guided system^
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

you're lucky you didn't slice a tendon :O
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
JDWY

Post by JDWY »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:14 am
you're lucky you didn't slice a tendon :O
That was my first thought, there's got to be some tendons there otherwise we couldn't straighten out our fingers.
anagarika

Post by anagarika »

Hope you get it taken care of and heal fast!

To anyone thinking 8Cr13MoV is low end, it doesn’t matter, it’s sharp! I just got bitten with light tap of my byrd hawkbill to the back of my index when releasing the lock, just by the weight of the blade when my finger wasn’t forward enough to catch the kick. Blood seeping out immediately, how sharp it is :cool:.

Edit to add: glad you’re healing and no sign of infection. Replied when reading first page :o

@JD Spydo,
You need to check out 8Cr13MoV. This steel works well for both PE & SE :cool:.
Chris :spyder:
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

anagarika wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:20 am
Hope you get it taken care of and heal fast!

To anyone thinking 8Cr13MoV is low end, it doesn’t matter, it’s sharp! I just got bitten with light tap of my byrd

:p

:o