Jade/M4 Yojimbo

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tvenuto

Re: Jade/M4 Yojimbo

Post by tvenuto »

mb1 wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:38 am
Just got my hands on my M4 Yo2 this morning. Not sure what to make of the extra strong detent. It is by far the strongest detent I’ve ever experienced. My son has the S30V version, so I compared them. This new one easily twice as strong feeling.

With the location of the Spyder hole, it adds to the strong detent feel. Its not like it’s unusable, but it feels way too strong.

I saw one comment before related to this, so I guess it’s not just me. Think it’ll ease up with use over time as the ball sees some wear?
It might have been me that commented on the detent. Mine was indeed strong, but I like it that way. Detents certainly wear in and become lighter over time. The detent is the biggest disadvantage of the liner/comp lock in my opinion, I much prefer the "self close" of the back lock/BBL/CBBL/BAL.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

mb1 wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:38 am
Just got my hands on my M4 Yo2 this morning. Not sure what to make of the extra strong detent. It is by far the strongest detent I’ve ever experienced. My son has the S30V version, so I compared them. This new one easily twice as strong feeling.

With the location of the Spyder hole, it adds to the strong detent feel. Its not like it’s unusable, but it feels way too strong.

I saw one comment before related to this, so I guess it’s not just me. Think it’ll ease up with use over time as the ball sees some wear?

It may just need a dab of lube on the detent ball. Get a toothpick and some grease or even Vaseline and put a little dab on the ball and see if it smooth out.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:38 pm

This morning when they announced that it was sold out they asked what they should do next and the Shaman got mentioned several times so I'm crossing my fingers. I really want a Sliverax in this combo.
Yes !! I'm 200% with you on that: Shaman or Sliverax in Jade/CPM M4 !

Waiting for my Jade Yo2 to land in Europe. I was also ordering 4 minutes after the "Golive".
So this is a much expected knife as I just love my Jade Millie and craving for a workhorse Yojimbo 2 with a tough steel.
It should be there Tuesday, it will be a user.
At first I was thinking to swap the Jade for CF but eventually it would also make a great Daishō with Jade Millie.

Soon I will post a glimpse on my blog.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Nemo3000 wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:17 pm
Evil D wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:38 pm

This morning when they announced that it was sold out they asked what they should do next and the Shaman got mentioned several times so I'm crossing my fingers. I really want a Sliverax in this combo.
Yes !! I'm 200% with you on that: Shaman or Sliverax in Jade/CPM M4 !

Then join me in pestering the crap out of them. They need to hear that people want these combos so they know it's a safe investment. These exclusives cost them a lot of money up front so if it seems like a risk they may avoid doing it.
~David
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

Give me a link and I will pester the crap out of them with pleasure ! :-)

For the reminder here is my hard used VG10 Ronin and my S90V YO2.
CPM M4 is really the steel I was expecting for a hard use EDC Yojimbo. This is going to be fun to play with that stronger tip.

Now should I force the Patina or let it come.... I will choose the lazy and fun path.... Let it come naturally.

Oh well.... It will be green after all. ;-)

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've found M4 to be pretty forgiving and at least on the easier side when it comes to keeping it clean. I've had spot rust form just from pocket carry even with a patina but it's far less of an issue than 52100 or even 1095. You can always polish it off and start over. I would be more concerned with keeping the pivot clean and rust free.
~David
Slash

Post by Slash »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:36 pm
I've found M4 to be pretty forgiving and at least on the easier side when it comes to keeping it clean. I've had spot rust form just from pocket carry even with a patina but it's far less of an issue than 52100 or even 1095. You can always polish it off and start over. I would be more concerned with keeping the pivot clean and rust free.
That's what oil is for, No?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Slash wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:43 pm
Evil D wrote:

If you mean protecting the pivot from rust, I like bearing grease. It creates a physical barrier.
~David
Slash

Post by Slash »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:45 pm
Slash wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:43 pm
Evil D wrote:

If you mean protecting the pivot from rust, I like bearing grease. It creates a physical barrier.
Heck, If I just treated my boots and got a bit of that leather conditioner on my hands the water likes to bead off them when I go to wash it off. I prefer a good oil over grease as grease usually attracts dirt. Depending on the pivot and use some could argue a dry lube is actually preferred.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Whatever works for you. A folding knife pivot is like the least demanding reciprocating/rotating joint application there is, so many different solutions should each be adequate.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Mine arrived today. Managed to get it home to Canada. Funny, they charged me a tariff on the steel (they said thank trump). :rolleyes:

Anyway, I modded it straight away.

Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:12 pm
Mine arrived today. Managed to get it home to Canada. Funny, they charged me a tariff on the steel (they said thank trump). :rolleyes:

Anyway, I modded it straight away.

that’s beautiful! do you find that this hinders or helps rust form on the m4? and how did you do it?
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

Please, tell us how you mod the blade ? What chloride used and technics to get that even stonewashed scratching on it.
How was the loctite on the screws ?...
We need to know more !! :-)
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Nemo3000 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:34 am
Please, tell us how you mod the blade ? What chloride used and technics to get that even stonewashed scratching on it.

Hi Nemo,

I used ferric chloride. Cleaned the blade with acetone and then protected the pivot etc with some nail polish. Then I dipped it in the acid multiple times until I was satisfied with the level of darkness I had achieved. Once that was done I threw it in a container full of rocks with some olive oil and then shoot it like crazy. I also gave the liners, screws (tops only) and clip the same bath in acid. Then reassembled and sharpened.

I’m getting faster at this every time I try it. This is my fourth knife. I knew before I bought this knife that I was planning on missing it. I like the contrast of the nice clean handle scales versus the finish on the blade.

Glad you like it!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

That looks really good. I've never been able to get ferric chloride to etch that dark, mine always turn gray.
~David
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:21 am
That looks really good. I've never been able to get ferric chloride to etch that dark, mine always turn gray.

I’ve found doing multiple baths really helps. Dip, wipe down, dip again over and over for about a minute at a time.

Thanks David. :D

@liquid_cobra
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:02 am
Evil D wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:21 am

I’ve found doing multiple baths really helps. Dip, wipe down, dip again over and over for about a minute at a time.

Thanks David. :D

I'll have to try that. My last attempt didn't go so well and I soaked it...for way too long...and ruined the knife. I've been a little iffy about doing it again.
~David
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

@LC are you not adding hydrogen peroxide to the acid or rather adding the acid to the peroxide? (always add acid!)
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

Wow and wow again! Thanks for the explanation !!
With my lemon juice and my apple vinegar... I guess I will just change the clip, then sand that Jade G-10 (for packet safety) and convex the edge and... Basta !!
I certainly don't have the skill and the equipment to do such a beautiful stonewashed black patina !! :-)
Eventually, the reason for that purchase is to really destin than Yojimbo to be a hard worker and to give CPM M4 what it desserves !
The patina will come like on my beloved Millie:

Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:14 am
Nemo3000 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:34 am

Hi Nemo,

I used ferric chloride. Cleaned the blade with acetone and then protected the pivot etc with some nail polish. Then I dipped it in the acid multiple times until I was satisfied with the level of darkness I had achieved. Once that was done I threw it in a container full of rocks with some olive oil and then shoot it like crazy. I also gave the liners, screws (tops only) and clip the same bath in acid. Then reassembled and sharpened.

I’m getting faster at this every time I try it. This is my fourth knife. I knew before I bought this knife that I was planning on missing it. I like the contrast of the nice clean handle scales versus the finish on the blade.

Glad you like it!
That looks fantastic. It sounds like a lot of work but the results speak for themselves.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/