Getting serrations cut into a plain edge knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderEdgeForever

Getting serrations cut into a plain edge knife?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

From what I recall, Spyderco will not officially perform modifications on knives they make for customers, is that correct?

That being said, if you have a Spyderco model that only comes in plain edge, and not serrated, what are some options to have it safely modified, to where it has Spyderco-identical serrations, or similiar-type serrations, without damaging the heat treatment and other features of the knife?
Evil D

Re: Getting serrations cut into a plain edge knife?

Post by Evil D »

The only option I know of if you want Spyderco pattern serrations is Willey Knives. The knives I've seen them do looked factory done, at least on the presentation side. The back will always look a little odd because of the V bevel grind being on both sides, so the backs of the teeth will still show the old bevel grind.

Beyond that I'm not sure if anyone still does Veff serrations, Willey may even do those too.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Veff serrations are the business.
No idea if they are more effective or anything but they look flipn sweet
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I have sent my Yojimbo to Wiley for this purpose. I will report back when I get the knife.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Daveho wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:20 am
I know that Wiley does serrations on plain edged blades>> but I've never heard whether or not VEFF would do them for a price? VEFF also has a really cool looking sharpening system for serrations I've been wanting to get. I've heard a lot good about him over at bladeforums.com.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Veff will do them. They only cut on the pull though. I never warmed up to them. Spyderco just does it better for my usage. I really thought I had more pictures of this knife but I can't seem to find them. Might take some when I get off work.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd be far more interested in Veff serrations if they weren't angled the way they are. I'd like to try a wider serration pattern but I do more than just pull cuts. They seem wide enough to cut ok in other directions but also seem much more likely to snag with a repeating hook pattern. I just want a standard Spyderco pattern where the large scallops are about a third longer and the small ones are twice as long.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:52 am
I'd be far more interested in Veff serrations if they weren't angled the way they are. I'd like to try a wider serration pattern but I do more than just pull cuts. They seem wide enough to cut ok in other directions but also seem much more likely to snag with a repeating hook pattern. I just want a standard Spyderco pattern where the large scallops are about a third longer and the small ones are twice as long.
You could probably talk to him about it. All he can say is no. He charges by the amount of serrations and steel type. I don't remember the exact cost.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I really wish serration grinding wheels were cheaper. The ones I've seen are like $400. Would be nice to do serrations easily on the knives I make.
Crux

Post by Crux »

Daveho wrote:
CRKT patented. I would LOVE for Spyderco to get a license to add them. Yes they are better than any serrated knife I've used. This is my favorite tactical knife.

Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:15 am
Daveho wrote:
I know that Wiley does serrations on plain edged blades>> but I've never heard whether or not VEFF would do them for a price? VEFF also has a really cool looking sharpening system for serrations I've been wanting to get. I've heard a lot good about him over at bladeforums.com.

he has his own YouTube videos, and also the collaborative videos he made with CRKT, some of which have his serration pattern :cool:
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Crux wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:10 am
Daveho wrote:
CRKT patented. I would LOVE for Spyderco to get a license to add them. Yes they are better than any serrated knife I've used. This is my favorite tactical knife.

It’s hard cause the serrations are so good but real talk CRKT causes me significant frustration.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

zhyla wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:57 am
I really wish serration grinding wheels were cheaper. The ones I've seen are like $400. Would be nice to do serrations easily on the knives I make.
I thought about something like that>> where do you get grinding wheels for different serration patterns? I was totally unaware that they were available. I have an old chain saw sharpening grinder I used when I was still in the business and I'm wondering if they wouldn't work on something like that?

Yeah even those wheels for doing different saw chain sizes weren't cheap either. And the ones that STIHL made were really high. But for stuff like most of us would want to do they would probably last a long time. One problem I would have doing it myself is how would you keep the steel cool?
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I'm just speculating here, but Sal probably tried a few patterns to see what works best. Those Veff angled deals look useless for anything but pull cuts to me.
- best wishes, Jazz.
JDWY

Post by JDWY »

"One problem I would have doing it myself is how would you keep the steel cool?"
Seems like you'd have to rig up something that cooled with soluble cutting oil with a nozzle over the work like certain lathes, mechanical hacksaws, etc. Even then, I bet a person wouldn't want to be too aggressive.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have had it done by Willey Knives. They did a good job and it came extremely sharp.

The one thing that someone needs to know about adding serrations is that they probably will not be chisel ground. There will be a bevel on the back side. They would have to grind the serrations pretty far up the blade to remove the original V grind.

Are those Zeff serrations above chisel ground? It does look like he ground up into the blade a good bit.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

JD, here is one of the serration wheel options:

https://www.knifekits.com/vcom/serratio ... -2607.html

Only $325 :).

And regarding cooling, I’ve heard in production houses they run these with some kind of flood coolant system. For home use I’d be inclined to rig up a grinder to run really slow and with a wet grinder bath.

I’ve tried to figure out a way to make such a wheel. I can CNC steel to make a cuttter what would give that pattern if ground against a wheel, but even if it were hard enough to dress the wheel it will overheat and go soft immediately.

I could also CNC that pattern directly into the blade, but for a curved blade that’s a really tricky setup to get right unless I’m CNC’ing the entire blade.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:47 am
I have had it done by Willey Knives. They did a good job and it came extremely sharp.

The one thing that someone needs to know about adding serrations is that they probably will not be chisel ground. There will be a bevel on the back side. They would have to grind the serrations pretty far up the blade to remove the original V grind.

Are those Zeff serrations above chisel ground? It does look like he ground up into the blade a good bit.
The veff serrations on the Spyderhawk are chisel ground. I'll try to take pics this evening.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Took longer than expected but here's slightly better pics

It's definitely chisel ground into the hollow like spyderco

Compared to the new spyderhawk
embry386

Post by embry386 »

That is really cool looking. Thanks for the photos and the interesting topic, I've wondered often about getting serrations put on my gray Endura and it's nice to have some idea of where to get this done.