Chef is Back, Tell a Friend.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Spyderman91

Chef is Back, Tell a Friend.

Post by Spyderman91 »

So the Spydiechef has peaked my interest ever since I got really into Spyderco. I was very fascinated with the salt series and the Chef was in a class all it's own.
When I heard their was a CQI ceramic ball detent update I was sold, but every online retailer was sold out... I was a bit in shock that
when I finally decided to go all in, I couldn't for the life of me find one in stock and I feared that the model itself had been discontinued.

That is Until now... I got my shipping confirmation from Knifecenter yesterday morning, and they are officially back in stock... Bladehq, Gpknives also have some and claim to be CQI'd as well (from what I can tell). I am excited and will definitely report back once I get the knife in hand. Glad I didn't jump on the jade yojimbo because this and the DLT exclusive just did my budget.
Attachments
chef.JPG
ladybug93

Re: Chef is Back, Tell a Friend.

Post by ladybug93 »

nice! congrats!
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Xander3Zero

Post by Xander3Zero »

Thanks for the heads up Spyder!

I too have been looking around for a Spydiechef and just placed my order with KC! I definitely was not planning on dropping another 2+ bills for a knife right now lol, but I also have been looking for my first Taichung Spyderco so this kills two birds with one stone for me. I am assuming that these from KC are all the CQI version like you said... would definitely be disappointed to find out that it wasn't.

Looks like I will have to hold off on adding a Dragonfly or Delica to my quickly growing assortment of Spydercos!
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Is the cqi just the detent ball?
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
PStone

Post by PStone »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:17 am
Is the cqi just the detent ball?
This is purely speculation on my part.
As one who owned both versions, I think the tip may be ground with a bit more upwards curve to shorten the length slightly. My original one’s blade would barely touch the rear stand-off when it was closed. But only if the blade moved side to side. I noticed a tiny, tiny chip in the edge that lined up with said standoff. That same standoff also has a small corresponding scratch. I never dropped it. My theory is that I was shifting the blade hard enough to the clip side when opening the knife with my thumb, that it damaged the edge.

So when I got the CQI version, that was one of the first things I noticed. The blade is no where near that standoff.
At least a mm away now. I wish I had both samples(sold the original to buy the CQI) to compare blade profiles/tips side by side. Another thought is that it is just a production variance.

Maybe @sal or someone can chime in.
archangel

Post by archangel »

I think the LC200N spot will be filled with a Chef...
Last edited by archangel on Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

chef is back... chef is back... chef is back... chef is back...deh na na
Xander3Zero

Post by Xander3Zero »

It's been like 7 hours since I ordered my Chef and the wait is already killing me lol.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I’ve always thought that the Spydiechef is one of the coolest Spyderco models ever designed, I just wish I had buckets of liquid cash to drop on all of the cool knives I want lol.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Spyderman thanks for the heads up! I've been waiting for the Chef to make a reappearance so I just ordered one from BHQ. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Stromboli

Post by Stromboli »

Just joined the forum just to participate in this thread!

I've been as excited about this as any knife in awhile. I called a few retailers and the Spyderco Outlet for updates as they waited on this shipment from Taiwan. It was clear a month ago a pretty large shipment was expected. Got mine ordered from BHQ as soon as it showed in stock during my daily check. Arrives Saturday!

It has a mix of attributes you can't find anywhere else; slim, elegant design closed; rust proof; long cutting edge relative to overall size; design that allows the entire edge to be utilized (yep, chef-ey); and built by Spyderco's excellent Taichung factory. The situations where I actually use a knife, this might be ideal.
timlara

Post by timlara »

To be honest, I waited a long time on the Chef because I was kinda wondering if it would get discontinued (i.e. discounted) since it's not a super mainstream design, but then it turned out to be pretty popular once the word was out on how good it is, and of course it went out of stock forever...So when I got my in-stock notification from BHQ last week, I jumped on it immediately this time. Glad I did as I'm really enjoying it quite a bit. Even at full price, I think it's worth it.
Tim
Joey

Post by Joey »

“Hey there, children!”
I like the idea of this knife, but the plain titanium smooth handles don’t do it for me. That blade looks to be ideal, especially the steel type. I think I need to hold one before buying, but I doubt that’s ever going to happen.
Joey

Post by Joey »

But if I’m being honest, I think it’s just too pricey for me. It’s hard to spend that much on a knife :/
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

The chef and caribbean keep crawling in my pockets. I love me some lc200n.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I may finally buy one of these.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

This has long been a very tempting design for me, but it is just not going to happen at price they demand over here plus not really legal to carry. But I sure would love to.
Trp2080

Post by Trp2080 »

Tempted to pick up a backup as this is my favorite :spyder: i own
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Stromboli wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:14 pm
Just joined the forum just to participate in this thread!

I've been as excited about this as any knife in awhile. I called a few retailers and the Spyderco Outlet for updates as they waited on this shipment from Taiwan. It was clear a month ago a pretty large shipment was expected. Got mine ordered from BHQ as soon as it showed in stock during my daily check. Arrives Saturday!

It has a mix of attributes you can't find anywhere else; slim, elegant design closed; rust proof; long cutting edge relative to overall size; design that allows the entire edge to be utilized (yep, chef-ey); and built by Spyderco's excellent Taichung factory. The situations where I actually use a knife, this might be ideal.
Stromboli, welcome to the fourm! Wow, what an excellent choice! I can't wait to get mine. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

Finally got home from work and I had an orange box waiting for me in the mail.
Opened it up and beheld the glory, first thing's first it came a little greasy (better to be greased than not greased at all).

So I cleaned it, and it became immediately apparent that I had overlooked the finer details of this knife during my first encounter at my local sporting good store. First things first it is one heck of a knife in a slim package, but the blade stock is not compromised at all (nice and slicey, but thick on top).
The titanium scales are very nice in my opinion, smooth but with a "Stonewashed" finished feels excellent in the sleek plus balanced

The action was also superb out the box, it has been one of the few Spydie's that I can index flick out the box with no wrist movement.
I'll have to post pictures of it tomorrow, haven't confirmed if it's CQI or not... but since it just came into Knifecenter (And everyone else is just getting them in) one can only assume. Very satisfied with my purchase, if I could only keep one pocket knife for the rest of my life... this would probably be it.