Spyderco Hatchet

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Woodpuppy

Re: Spyderco Hatchet

Post by Woodpuppy »

Gone...
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Looks like they are in stock at Knifeworks.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I want to get one so bad, but I don't know if I can justify it to the missus.

I can hear it now:
"What, those swedish ones aren't good enough anymore?"
"And the last time you used the other ones was?"
"You have a problem, maybe we need to talk to someone about it."...

Sometimes you have to lose the battle.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I like its utility and would like to see a video where someone puts both ends to good use. Seems a little pricey for the materials used. Interested in knowing about its quality.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

Will there be replacement handles available for these?
Justin
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I sure hope they used a standard eye pattern so you could rehaft with hickory.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Can anyone speak to how the head is heat treated? Is the bit a different hardness than the hammer face?
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Bodog wrote: Can anyone speak to how the head is heat treated? Is the bit a different hardness than the hammer face?
Woodpuppy wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:45 am
These are two questions that I have been wondering about.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
sal

Post by sal »

Bodog wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:13 pm
Can anyone speak to how the head is heat treated? Is the bit a different hardness than the hammer face?
Hi Bodog,

We prefer not to speak of HT.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:45 am
Hi Woodpuppy,

everything is custom on the tool.

sal
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Edit: Nevermind.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Thanks for the reply Sal. It will make rehafting interesting! Can Spyderco put on a new oem handle if need be?
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

sal wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:32 am
Bodog wrote:
Hi Bodog,

sal
Sal,

I'm pretty disappointed with hatchethawk i received. If you go back i was one of the most vocally interested in this one. It's going back to the dealer. Someone screwed up with the one i got. Add to it that we cannot receive any information that would lead us to believe this product stands equal or better than the competition perturbs me. For the price we should have some reason to believe this product is better than the competition that costs much, much less. I don't see it and i hear nothing from spyderco that would warrant its price. I'm pretty bummed right now because this is a hobby i enjoy and normally i brag about what your company does. But the last two purchases I've made of spyderco products has me feeling...dissuaded.

I asked some simple questions that could help overlook some faults or at least be persuaded to think that these things are better and that justifies the extra cost. Without the answers i see no reason to continue believing. That's my opinion. I hope others have better luck. From bad action on the mantra to the rust on the s30v ppt to screws stripping from the smallest amount of torque to the latest really bad finishing flaws on the hatchethawk and seeing that I'm paying ALOT for these things, I'm doubting.

Your refusal to answer basic questions that would lead a knowledgeable person to understand why this product is better than another makes me question why i keep coming back. If thats the case, so be it. I didn't think i was being unfairly critical or irrational in my questions.

Respectfully,

Me
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Bodog,

That's disappointing.

What exactly is wrong with the Hatchethawk you received? You mentioned "really bad finishing flaws". Can you illustrate?

I believe the Hatchethawk is from a manufacturer new to Spyderco?
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Yea he didn't specify. Sounds like he just wants a reason to send it back now.
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

Bodog wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:58 pm
sal wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:32 am
Bodog wrote:
Hi Bodog,

sal
Sal,

I'm pretty disappointed with hatchethawk i received. If you go back i was one of the most vocally interested in this one. It's going back to the dealer. Someone screwed up with the one i got. Add to it that we cannot receive any information that would lead us to believe this product stands equal or better than the competition perturbs me. For the price we should have some reason to believe this product is better than the competition that costs much, much less. I don't see it and i hear nothing from spyderco that would warrant its price. I'm pretty bummed right now because this is a hobby i enjoy and normally i brag about what your company does. But the last two purchases I've made of spyderco products has me feeling...dissuaded.

I asked some simple questions that could help overlook some faults or at least be persuaded to think that these things are better and that justifies the extra cost. Without the answers i see no reason to continue believing. That's my opinion. I hope others have better luck. From bad action on the mantra to the rust on the s30v ppt to screws stripping from the smallest amount of torque to the latest really bad finishing flaws on the hatchethawk and seeing that I'm paying ALOT for these things, I'm doubting.

Your refusal to answer basic questions that would lead a knowledgeable person to understand why this product is better than another makes me question why i keep coming back. If thats the case, so be it. I didn't think i was being unfairly critical or irrational in my questions.

Respectfully,

Me
Good, that there are so many other brands to choose from, if we dont like what we buy.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

RamZar wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:21 am
Bodog,

That's disappointing.

What exactly is wrong with the Hatchethawk you received? You mentioned "really bad finishing flaws". Can you illustrate?

I believe the Hatchethawk is from a manufacturer new to Spyderco?
I sent the info to sal privately not wanting to make a bigger deal than necessary. I only explained why i as a customer wanted answers and where i was coming from. I'm not even saying Sal or anyone should answer. I simply stated why I feel like they should.

As far as my specific hatchet I'll let spyderco look at it when/if they get it.
Nate

Post by Nate »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:31 am
Yea he didn't specify. Sounds like he just wants a reason to send it back now.

Nevermind the reasons why, but this is all exactly how I expected it would play out from the moment he expressed interest in the HatchetHawk.
:spyder:
sal

Post by sal »

Sorry for your disappointment Bodog. Hopefully you'l find something you like from another maker?

sal
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

sal wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:32 am
Sorry for your disappointment Bodog. Hopefully you'l find something you like from another maker?

sal
Maybe so.