Hear me out: The Traveling Spyderco Knife Box!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rgrad80

Hear me out: The Traveling Spyderco Knife Box!

Post by rgrad80 »

I don't have all the details worked out, but I got me an i d eeer!

The Traveling Spyderco Knife Box!

What it is you ask? Well simply, it's a box full of different types of Spyderco Knives that members of the forum can get shipped to their home so they can actually feel, hold, see and love for a limited amount of time.

Why? Because not having a retailer anywhere near your home that carries more than the Tenacious sucks. Think of a knife you have bought in the past after watching countless youtube vids, read countless reviews....only to buy it and have it be a total flop and not at all what you had hoped it would be. Flip side? Think of all the Spydercos you will probably never get to experience because you don't want to shell out $100+ just to see if you like the knife with the hopes of selling if you don't so you can recoup some of your cost.

My favorite Spyderco knife is the Military...and by a mile, no other Spyderco comes even close. Now the thing is, prior to owning the Military my favorite Spyderco knife was the PM2. I had purchased a Para 3, it was okay. Police, yea not bad. Manix2 LW cool,but still not better than a PM2 for my taste. Endura, Delica...way cool but no, still not better than PM2. My very first Military was the KW green 204. I bought it I read the thread on it and some of you guys just went on and on and on about what a great knife it was. I watched some youtube videos and most said it was nice but not a EDC knife...all except some guy that makes sharpening videos who said he carries it all the time and he loves it..also showed how he split the same hair like 5 times before the hair finally cut in half. HOOKED. The knife showed up and it's been in my pocked everyday ever since. I also bought 3 more Milis within a short amount of time afterwords. Ramble, ramble, ramble...but if I wouldn't have taken a chance on that Mili, I would have really missed out on a great knife.

How? I say we make a list of the top 15-20 spyderco models people really should try. We all volunteer to donate a knife to the box until all the knives on the list are checked off, and all the knives are mailed to one trust individual to start the knife box journey. If you want the box, you ask the trusted person for it and if you don't suck...you get the box. You get a week with the box and than you pay for shipping for it to go to the next person who wants it. I don't have all the details worked out because I thought of the idea while eating a burger and I didn't have a pen and paper to write all my thoughts down. The burger was delicious.

it could turn out to be a really cool thing. Lanyard guys could put a fun lanyard on one of the knives, Guys who know how to sharpen well can put a wicked mirror polish on one.

It could also suck. Someone just takes the box of knives, moves to Mexico and our project comes to screeching halt. I have a feeling that would not happen in this community and it would actually be a very fun thing for us to do.

at 10pm on a Saturday night after a few drinks, I can only imagine how many grammatical errors I have in this gem.

Rick
Days without buying a Spyderco: 35

You always have a choice.
Sharp Guy

Re: Hear me out: The Traveling Spyderco Knife Box!

Post by Sharp Guy »

Where was this idea when I was looking at all these models I wanted to try? I've been dumb enough to buy them all and then some. Fortunately for me I've never met a Spydie I didn't like. Now I have a box (plus a few drawers) full of knives I enjoy having. The downside is I've spent a small fortune. :)

I think it's a great idea but it's not without issues. It requires a lot of trust that all the knives remain with the box in good condition and that nobody decides to trade one for a fake etc. I'm not saying it's not a good thing and won't work. I have a friend thats done something similar with an expensive piece of shooting equipment. It's traveled all around the US to 100s of people and is still going. There's also the traveling Delica over on Blade Forums that seems to be working out well. But this is different being that it's a whole box of knives. It might be best to limit availability to members who have been around awhile but that might severely limit how many people want to take part in the program.

If you can find a way to manage it, I might have a Delica or maybe something else to contribute
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Sounds like a great idea. At least until you consider, as it looks like you already did, that the thought of $2000 or more worth of "free" knives may prove to be too much of temptation for someone. True, this Forum is probably one of the most honorable communities on the net, but all it takes is one, and we've had a few scammers over the years. Even if there are none here right now, setting up something like that may very well attract them. Granted, having all the blades laser engraved "STOLEN FROM SPYDERCO FORUM PASSAROUND" might reduce that risk, but then there's the other problem. Namely that many of our members live outside the USA, where shipping costs, and potential for Customs seizure become issues or in New York, where shipping knives is also problematic.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Great idea.
Might not end well.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think a lot of people already do this by way of buying and returning.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I thinks this works but only on an individual basis, between people here who have gotten to know one another and have developed a solid trusting relationship. And, with one, maybe two knives, not fifteen or twenty. As has been pointed out already, there are many potential risks with your plan.

Once the “pass around” is done, how do the original donors get their knives back, or are they gone forever? I suppose it would have to be somehow endless. Let’s say I got the box and decided to keep it for a year or so, what is to induce me to pass it on? If I passed it to a thief unbeknownst to me, would I be responsible for replacing all the knives?

A while back when I was wondering about all the praise and criticism of the Para 3, Sharp Guy up and volunteered to send me one of his to try out. A brave and trusting act because he did not know me. I was merely a name on the forum. However, he did and I learned a lot about both him and the Para 3. I returned it after a while and am grateful for the experience.

In general I think you have a good idea, but I don’t see how it would work without significant risk.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
foofie

Post by foofie »

I think it is a great idea, but the devil is in the details as usual.
I arranged a passaround over at bladeforums, and one guy flaked and disappeared. I think he had some very real issues in his life, but the passaround abruptly ended nonetheless. Perhaps we limit it to 2-3 knives per box? Maybe themed: large folder box - endura, police, military, small folder box, etc?

I do like Michael's idea above about sharing blades on an individual level. I have decidedly odd tastes and appreciate the ability to handle a knife prior to purchase - but this is rarely possible. I kind of shudder at the thought of a new thread - "Want to try" where we solicit knives, but that could be an option?
rgrad80

Post by rgrad80 »

Ohhh, the want to try idea is good.
Days without buying a Spyderco: 35

You always have a choice.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I’m not trying to be Mr. Negativity here. I blame it on my project management background when I was always alert for issues and doing risk analysis.

First, I am just leery of people announcing to the forum at large that they want to try out knives. My feeling is that this isn’t the place, like it’s not the place for buying, selling and trading. I just sense potential problems and issues that I would not want the forum to host. Not my decision of course.

Perhaps this would be better in private messaging?
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:30 am
I thinks this works but only on an individual basis, between people here who have gotten to know one another and have developed a solid trusting relationship. And, with one, maybe two knives, not fifteen or twenty. As has been pointed out already, there are many potential risks with your plan...

...In general I think you have a good idea, but I don’t see how it would work without significant risk.

I agree. I think starting a "Want to try" thread would attract scammers and dishonest people the same way a "buy sell trade" thread would.

It's a pity because I think you have a really good idea rgrad80. I just don't see how it could work without causing problems.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

A box of 20 or 30 knives with appropriate insurance would make shipping costs high enough to discourage some. Me anyways. If someone was to do it they might want to limit it to people who are established members. How established would need to be determined. I think it has merit but I wouldn't get involved. :)

Joe
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I reckon a passaround thread where folks could put in requests for individual knives would work okay.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Who'd want to be blamed for the loss of all that? Not me, thanks.
- best wishes, Jazz.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I've got a bunch of users I'd be willing to loan out for a pass around. I think that doing individual pass arounds makes more sense than one big box of them, though.