The curious case of the LW Manix 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
knivesandbooks

Re: The curious case of the LW Manix 2

Post by knivesandbooks »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:37 am
knivesandbooks wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:32 am
Rats, the Cutlery Shop s90v is out. Do they re-order often?

I dont think they do reorders or they would have redone the CTS-XHP PM2s by now. I think there is going to be a DLC version of the orange S90V Manix LW at sone point though I heard.
Well that stinks. Darn
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:39 am
steelcity16 wrote:
knivesandbooks wrote:

I dont think they do reorders or they would have redone the CTS-XHP PM2s by now. I think there is going to be a DLC version of the orange S90V Manix LW at sone point though I heard.

Well that stinks. Darn

Just get the S110V...its 20Vs better! :)
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Yeah, maybe next month. I got pumped to buy one from all these manix lightweight threads. Decided I might as well get it in a cool orange and a steel I haven't used.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:42 am
Yeah, maybe next month. I got pumped to buy one from all these manix lightweight threads. Decided I might as well get it in a cool orange and a steel I haven't used.

Yeah, true. I may get a Maxamet soon so I can try out a Manix LW. With the uncertainty of Maxamet's future we may see a run on them and they could be gone forever.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:41 am
knivesandbooks wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:39 am
steelcity16 wrote:
knivesandbooks wrote:

Well that stinks. Darn

Just get the S110V...its 20Vs better! :)
Aside from the 20 extra Vs, that blue that they use looks really nice too! I already have the M2 LW, and UKPK but I'm still tempted to buy the Native in S110V just because the blue looks so nice.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Surfingringo wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:27 am
This knife is a bit of a mystery to me. Personally, I have never fallen in love with the Manix design. There is nothing that I hate about it but there are a number of features and design characteristics that I don't like as much as some of the other Spyderco's in that size range.

For example...

-I have never been much of a fan of the "leaf shaped" blade
-I don't really like defined finger grooves
-I find the knife a bit wide in pocket when in the closed position.

Now, none of those things are deal killers but given that there are other Spyderco's (pm2 for example) that give me a similarly sized knife without having to accept those features I don't like, it stands to reason that the Manix design isn't an all time favorite of mine.

Here's the curious part though. I have a Manix LW in Maxamet that I can't seem to keep out of my pocket. I keep a spydie-pac in my living room with about 10 folders that I regularly rotate for daily carry. When I leave the house each day I just grab whatever tickles my fancy at the moment. What I have found over the last year is that that Manix gets carried disproportionately often. I end up grabbing it WAY more often than my PM2 which is a knife that I clearly prefer based on its characteristics. The strangest part is that I can't really tell you why. It definitely has nothing to do with the steel. Maxamet is fun to play with but it doesn't make a very good EDC steel here in the tropics as it is too prone to corrosion and dulling due to corrosion at the edge. If my Manix had a more corrosion resistant steel I would probably carry it even more. At any rate, the whole thing bothers me as I consider myself a person who not only makes logical decisions but is able to intelligently articulate WHY I make those decisions. I am struggling to come up with an answer here and I am left perplexed.

My best guesses are that it has to do with weight and ease of carry. I often find myself in board shorts during the day with no front pockets so it is common for me to carry a knife IWB. The Manix LW feels very thin and comfortable when carried that way. So much so that I was surprised when I compared it to my pm2. I expected the handle to be thinner than the pm2 but it is the same thickness. I guess the wider profile makes if feel thinner when carried that way? I will be interested to try out a LW pm2 if those ever make it to market as I think that will answer some of these questions. If I find that I like carrying that over the manix (which I expect I would) then I will know that this is more about weight and handle material than it is about the design itself. Hopefully I will get to do such a test someday soon! :rolleyes: :D

So yeah, that's the curious case of the LW Manix 2...a knife that often finds its way into my pocket or waistband without me being able to tell you why. Does anybody else have similar thoughts on the Manix? Or maybe another model that weasels its way into your pocket more than you would expect?
Initially, I held off on picking one up due to similar observations as Surfingringo. However, I was ultimately swayed by the number of people on this forum who espoused the virtues of the design's superior ergonomics, and my Manix 2 LW (CTS-BD1, translucent blue) arrived in the mail this past Monday. There is nothing about it specifically.. size, steel, blade shape, handle material/shape, locking mechanism, etc.. that I don't prefer on another model Spyderco. However, added all together, I can't deny that I really like this knife! In spite of (because of) all its awkward finger grooves, it fits my hand like a glove.. For its size, it manages to disappear in my pocket.. Due to its "plastic-y" feeling FRCP, it is incredibly light for its size.. Truly, the appeal of the the Manix 2 LW seems to be the balance in the sum of its parts. My time with it has been short, but I can certainly see this knife finding a forever home in my carry rotation.
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

So this thread has made me decide to finally grab a Manix LW. I am going to get the DLC BD1 version during the next sitewide ebay sale (hopefully this weekend for labor day). I figure a coupon combined with a best offer should get me one for $80 or less. It can be a beater for me to test a new steel and a new platform. Then I can really decide if I want to pony up the coin for the Maxamet version.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:53 pm
So this thread has made me decide to finally grab a Manix LW. I am going to get the DLC BD1 version during the next sitewide ebay sale (hopefully this weekend for labor day). I figure a coupon combined with a best offer should get me one for $80 or less. It can be a beater for me to test a new steel and a new platform. Then I can really decide if I want to pony up the coin for the Maxamet version.
The current sale they have running goes until 9/3 so I am doubtful that there will be another sale going on at the same time. There is a black non DLC one on there that is available for the current deal. Otherwise you may be waiting for a while. Maybe Columbus day?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Lance I recall us touching on this subject at BLADE. I initially bought it as a stop-gap to hold me over till I got the Lil'Temp 3. Under $100 for one in CTS-XHP steel seemed a deal too. I disliked the feel of the FRCP, and I'm not a fan of choils. Regardless I found myself carrying it more than I thought I would, even after I got my Lil'Temp 3. The lightweight & how well it carried in my pocket were the big factors. Ergonmics were very good - though I look at the unused choil as wasted blade length. It's a knife I didn't think I'd like, but I do.
tangent

Post by tangent »

I suspect your Manix could be supplanted by the plain edge Pac Salt in LC200N when it comes out. I know you (Lance) have an affinity for the Pac Salt. It is curious though that you can't quite put your finger on it.
anycal

Post by anycal »

I had an up and down relationship with the LW Manix; still do, I guess. I had the all black BD1 version as one of my first :spyder:

I appreciate the size/weight aspect, as well as the ergonomics. But unless my hands are swollen from some kind of a manual labor or exercise, that thing was pretty slippery. Granted it was only a problem during one-handed closing.

Gave the BD1 away. But decided to give it another try. I really wanted to like it, and the KW version was a very good deal. Still the same issue. Grip is great using it, but one-hand closing required paying more attention than it should have.

Decided to give it a third try. Went with the G10 this time, which is a bit heavier even thought the liners are skeletonized. But what won it for me is the combination of much smoother cage movement of the BBL, and the grippier texture of the G10. For me, this make for a more secure feel in hand.

So I use them both, and I do prefer the BHQ version, and both of them are used less due to my PM2s. But if all I could keep was a Manix, I wouldn't bee too upset.

Peter
vivi

Post by vivi »

out of curiosity, how do you close your Manix?
:unicorn
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I hear you, Lance. A friend gifted me a S110V Manix 2 Lightweight that he had modified to make it even lighter and a better slicer. I decided to carry it for a few weeks just to honor our friendship. Like you, I didn’t really care much for the wide handle, the blade shape (but mine is cut down from the spine side), the FRCP scales, or the ball bearing lock. And yet, the overall package has grown on me and I feel guilty that it kicked my beloved PM2 out of my pocket. It defied my logic like it defied yours. I never would have bought a Manix 2 with my own money, but receiving the gift I felt it my duty to use it. And I’m glad I did!

What elements of this knife appeal to me? Here’s what I know:

Super light weight
Wire clip - I love it! First one I ever used
Ugly handle feels great in the hand
S110V is great steel
Wave opening (part of my friend’s modification)
Super light weight

If Spyderco offers a PM2 Lightweight I’ll have to get one. I prefer the straight spine and acute tip and compression lock of the PM2. The modded Manix 2 Lightweight is like a Delica, I forget it’s there until I need it. The PM2 never lets me forget it’s there. I wish it would vanish like the Manix when I clip it to my pocket, I really do.
anycal

Post by anycal »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:38 pm
Nothing exotic. The standard way seen out there - two fingers on the cage, butt of the knife in my palm.

Am I the only one who thinks that the cage rides much smoother on the G10 model, compare to the FRCP? It feels like it gets more snagged on the FRCP. It's much easier to disengage the lock with one finger on the G10.
Peter
grumpy514

Post by grumpy514 »

How is everybody going about cleaning their LW Manix 2's? I like to disassemble and clean all my knives periodically but with that unfortunately is not possible with the riveted design. I've been carrying my LW Manix 2 CTS BD1 for a few months and the action is starting to get a little gummed up, any suggestions on how to clean it best?

I try to blow it out with compressed air and put some drops of nano oil near the pivot area but that didn't seem to work all that well. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
anycal

Post by anycal »

abbazaba wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:26 am
I thought you had a S110v lightweight?

Regardless of preferences, the Manix2 LW is a standout design. One is always in my hiking bag as a backup, as well as the one in the console of my truck. I have a similar relationship with the DF2... I like to keep one within reach.

I suppose it would never happen, but I really hope the PM2 lightweight comes with the wire clip, which I think is a part of what makes the Manix2 LW so successful feel the way it does.
That's funny. It used to be a resident knife in the coin tray of my truck; now replaced by a Native LW. Currently it is a backup knife in a backpack.
Peter
vivi

Post by vivi »

anycal wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:33 pm
Vivi wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:38 pm
Nothing exotic. The standard way seen out there - two fingers on the cage, butt of the knife in my palm.

Am I the only one who thinks that the cage rides much smoother on the G10 model, compare to the FRCP? It feels like it gets more snagged on the FRCP. It's much easier to disengage the lock with one finger on the G10.
I think it depends on the individual knife. I've had some FRCP Manix's that had the smoothest CBBL I've used, and my DLC XL was pretty gritty when it was new. My old 154cm g10 manix was in between.

Is your lock smooth enough you can close it with just your thumb? That's how I close all of my Manix's
vivi

Post by vivi »

grumpy514 wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:36 pm
How is everybody going about cleaning their LW Manix 2's? I like to disassemble and clean all my knives periodically but with that unfortunately is not possible with the riveted design. I've been carrying my LW Manix 2 CTS BD1 for a few months and the action is starting to get a little gummed up, any suggestions on how to clean it best?

I try to blow it out with compressed air and put some drops of nano oil near the pivot area but that didn't seem to work all that well. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
With pinned folders like this, I like to soak them for five minutes in very hot, soapy water. Then scrub it out with a toothbrush as best I can. Then blow out excess moisture with an air compressor and lube.

I find if I just blow out the crud then lube, there is still black gunk that builds up in the pivot area. Gotta actually scrub it clean, or else it will come back after opening and closing the knife a few times.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i prefer the manix grip over the pm2. the little bit of extra swell and the larger and deeper choil in the handle make it a lot more comfortable to me in multiple grips. i also prefer the leaf shape blades, but just because i personally think they look better. as far as the width in the pocket, i think the manix wins this one because it’s lighter weight and, more importantly, it’s very narrow at the clip end. everyone complains about how wide the manix is in pocket, but at the place where it matters most (the pocket entrance), the manix is noticeably slimmer than the pm2. it doesn’t stick out of the pocket as much and it’s easier to get around because of the way the shape narrows almost to a point. i think this factor is often overlooked when people talk about how wide a knife is in the pocket. the entry to the pocket is the only place the width bothers me and it’s why i don’t still carry my zt0350, which is huge at the top of the pocket and also very rough on the hand. i’m not sure if this factor matters in the waistband of boardshorts, since you aren’t reaching past it, but i think it would still make it more comfortable on your waist too.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C