Delica HAP40/SUS410 TiCN with red G10 St. Nick's Knives Exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
brumledb

Re: Delica HAP40/SUS410 TiCN with red G10 St. Nick's Knives Exclusive

Post by brumledb »

rgrad80

Post by rgrad80 »

brumledb wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:26 pm
That is s fantastic picture of the knife...probably as good as it gets. Next time an exclusive comes out, they should have you take the pictures. :)
Days without buying a Spyderco: 35

You always have a choice.
brumledb

Post by brumledb »

rgrad80 wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:33 pm

That is s fantastic picture of the knife...probably as good as it gets. Next time an exclusive comes out, they should have you take the pictures. :)

Thanks for the kind words! I doubt I could keep up with the amount of exclusives that Spyderco puts out :)
Monty

Post by Monty »

Thinking about acquiring one of these on the secondary.

To those that got them, how has the corrosion resistance held up?
eRoc

Post by eRoc »

Monty wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:16 pm

Just checked my wife's Delica and I can't see any corrosion. I see gunk all over it, chips and rolls in the edge(typical with her knives). I guarantee it's never seen a drop of oil and I know I've seen her carry it in her waistband when she goes out running.

IMO it's probably the best version of the Delica. Back locks are not my favorite lock type but I recently found another one on the secondary market so I scooped it up for myself.
Monty

Post by Monty »

eRoc wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:32 pm
Monty wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:16 pm

Just checked my wife's Delica and I can't see any corrosion. I see gunk all over it, chips and rolls in the edge(typical with her knives). I guarantee it's never seen a drop of oil and I know I've seen her carry it in her waistband when she goes out running.

IMO it's probably the best version of the Delica. Back locks are not my favorite lock type but I recently found another one on the secondary market so I scooped it up for myself.
Sounds promising, thanks for the review. I live at the beach and just the humidity here attacks even those knives I don't take out kayaking or swimming.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I'm new to hap40, but liking it. Different model delica 4.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
vnvman

Post by vnvman »

Necro bumping this one because I just bought one new unused from a collector for 210€ shipped. Kinda steep but I had to have it. Anybody here still enjoying it? How is it holding up? It's my first laminated spy, curiosity killed the cat, then the color scheme buried it 6 feet deep apparently...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vnvman wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:28 am
Necro bumping this one because I just bought one new unused from a collector for 210€ shipped. Kinda steep but I had to have it. Anybody here still enjoying it? How is it holding up? It's my first laminated spy, curiosity killed the cat, then the color scheme buried it 6 feet deep apparently...
Well, I am really enjoying my Endura and Stretch 1 in HAP40/SUS410 (both the models and the steel).

To me personally though one of the nice aspects of that particular steel(-combo) is a bit "killed" by the coating: The in a particular way very unique look that each blade (without coating) develops over time by the "scratch pattern" on the soft SUS410 and the patina on the exposed HAP40...

That said: I do like the color scheme of yours too, have it in my St Nicks Goddard

And the Delica imo is the best folder in its size range anyway, so good choice!! :smlling-eyes
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vnvman

Post by vnvman »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:00 am
vnvman wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:28 am
Well, I am really enjoying my Endura and Stretch 1 in HAP40/SUS410 (both the models and the steel).

To me personally though one of the nice aspects of that particular steel(-combo) is a bit "killed" by the coating: The in a particular way very unique look that each blade (without coating) develops over time by the "scratch pattern" on the soft SUS410 and the patina on the exposed HAP40...

That said: I do like the color scheme of yours too, have it in my St Nicks Goddard

And the Delica imo is the best folder in its size range anyway, so good choice!! :smlling-eyes
Sounds great that you're still enjoying this steel, I was very curious.

I had K390 models in the past enjoying its properties a lot but I didn't quite like the fact that having the whole blade in a non stainless type of steel usually makes the knife stain food a little much, and the fact of not having the pivot area coated forces you to clean that spot up often in order to avoid heavier rusting/pitting.The stainless layer helps a bit with all of that I guess.

I understand what you mean about the patina and the scratch pattern and I can appreciate that as well, but I guess that ultimately when the coating will start wearing out heavily that will still happen somehow, maybe with a somewhat cool misty look.

One thing I was unsure about was the "issues" with the rougher finish on the liners, but I figured I could overlook that.

Can't wait to have this one and start using it now!