sheeple moment

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Re: sheeple moment

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:11 am
Regarding "sheeple" you would be surprised at how people react to knives. Here is one incident I had: I was at an event with a small group of people and someone had a birthday, and one of those pre-packaged cakes was gifted to celebrate the birthday. Guess what? Noone had a knife on hand, to cut the cake, nor open the box. I had one on me, and it was not even a one-hand opener, it was a small fixed blade with an unobtrusive blade, a fixed blade scout hunting/fishing type knife. Well, the cake was cut and we had a good enjoyable time.

Later on I found out that someone present who saw me take out the knife was actually gossiping that I am a "dangerous person" for having a "hunting knife" on my person. Can you believe that? Isn't that ridiculous? I eventually confronted the person and was as polite as possible but said "Why would you slander me like that and say I am dangerous because I have a knife?" and the person kept to their attitude and told me "noone carries a knife nowadays, only evil people who want to kill people." I was surprised and have not spoken to them since.

What type of "brainwashing" and mindset does it take for someone to have that type of attitude against a person who simply has a utilitarian knife on them as a tool?
Mad Mac: I think that person was a hoplophobe.
Many years of watching movies where knives are abused against people?
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

The people who are opposed to carrying knives
are the same people who favor unlimited immigration.
The same people who would accuse you of being an islamophobe
if you expressed concern about Muslim supremacists
committing jihad knife attacks.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:11 am
Regarding "sheeple" you would be surprised at how people react to knives. Here is one incident I had: I was at an event with a small group of people and someone had a birthday, and one of those pre-packaged cakes was gifted to celebrate the birthday. Guess what? Noone had a knife on hand, to cut the cake, nor open the box. I had one on me, and it was not even a one-hand opener, it was a small fixed blade with an unobtrusive blade, a fixed blade scout hunting/fishing type knife. Well, the cake was cut and we had a good enjoyable time.

Later on I found out that someone present who saw me take out the knife was actually gossiping that I am a "dangerous person" for having a "hunting knife" on my person. Can you believe that? Isn't that ridiculous? I eventually confronted the person and was as polite as possible but said "Why would you slander me like that and say I am dangerous because I have a knife?" and the person kept to their attitude and told me "noone carries a knife nowadays, only evil people who want to kill people." I was surprised and have not spoken to them since.

What type of "brainwashing" and mindset does it take for someone to have that type of attitude against a person who simply has a utilitarian knife on them as a tool?

Many years of watching movies where knives are abused against people?

That is absolutely ridiculous, childish, and immature. Sounds like someone to stay away from in my opinion.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Mad Mac wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:00 pm
The people who are opposed to carrying knives
are the same people who favor unlimited immigration.
The same people who would accuse you of being an islamophobe
if you expressed concern about Muslim supremacists
committing jihad knife attacks.
This is probably not appropriate and makes me quite angry
The lessons of Alex Jones I suppose?
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I don’t mind them having their personal opinion, but the bs gossip is a problem, especially when states keep enacting these “red flag” laws which can have some ugly results. The laws need to include harsh punishments for viciously bearing false witness, since these laws will deprive people of due process, property, wealth, and liberty. They are clearly unconstitutional.
snapshot2017

Post by snapshot2017 »

This is why when around people I feel the less they see is best, I also carry a handgun knife and gun kept unseen until a real need.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

and before this thread goes too far away from the original "sheeple" topic, and starts the political discussion that could lead to its end, :eek: a fun thread from 15 years ago that explains why the "Paramilitary" didn't have the name written on the blade in the final product :cool: :

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9726

as opposed to the original design by Sal, which had the blade with "Paramilitary" all over it :o
interesting sheeple-related read from the old days! :p
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

This one my son-in-law gave me cracks me up.
They had them made as gifts, not to carry for themselves.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RKMJ8F3B5eo7fooN6

See the push button. It's an automatic. Gotta love it.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:42 pm
The other day I was doing some grocery shopping. Among other things I purchased were two boxes of protein bars.

I went through the self check-out. Busy Sunday afternoon, everyone doing their after church grocery shopping. Kids all over the place.

It's my turn so I start doing my thing, punching in 4011 for my bananas and whatnot.

I get to the protein bars and the first box scans fine. Second box wouldn't scan though. The plastic wrap was really thick and wrinkled right over the barcode.

So out comes my scary black SE Pacific Salt to cut through the plastic wrap so I can scan my product.

No one noticed or cared.

The end.
I'm the first guy to wonder why you didn't simply scan the first box a second time? ;)
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

No you’re not the first. Some of these things weigh the items you scan and place in a bag or on a belt, and if you try to scan the item twice and the system doesn’t register the weight it’s expecting, it gets mad and won’t let you proceed.

I detest self checkout. They can give me a discount if I’m expected to ring myself up and bag my goods.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Ah, the trials and tribulations of self checkout. Back in my day...
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

I think we need a quick reminder of our forum rules (http://www.spyderco.com/pdfs/ForumRulesRevFeb2017.pdf). I understand the topic and don't disagree but too many dips into political commentary have brought us to a close.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.