Pulse on the Tropen?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Spyderman91

Pulse on the Tropen?

Post by Spyderman91 »

There were a lot of home runs in the 2018 catalogue (smock, sabotage, the redback), but the Tropen caught my eye right away...

I preordered as soon as I could and realized after my excitement, that I had no idea when the knife would actually be released XD.

Either way, very exited for this blade and the others mentioned earlier, picture for reference courtesy of knifecenter.
Attachments
tropen.JPG
dj moonbat

Re: Pulse on the Tropen?

Post by dj moonbat »

If I were a supervillain, this would definitely be my blade of choice.
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

Such a wild looking blade, no thanks to sharpening that!
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Not for me. It’s a shame these contoured handles go on knives that I’m otherwise not fond of (rubicon for ex).

Also, I advise against preorders on non-sprints. You’ll probably end up paying a tad more for no reason, and it might also result in you getting the knife slower.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Maybe they're taking their time revising to get the cutting edge out of the comp lock cutout
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

This one is a "Meh." for me.

Now the Kapara on the other hand!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:55 pm
Maybe they're taking their time revising to get the cutting edge out of the comp lock cutout
That sounds like a good idea :eek:
mattman

Post by mattman »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:55 pm
That's not as big as issue as it was made out to be, as your finger can't be there when closing, because the flipper tab will sweep through there.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

mattman wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:41 pm

That's not as big as issue as it was made out to be, as your finger can't be there when closing, because the flipper tab will sweep through there.

But what about sliding your hand in and out of your pocket? Your hand will slide right across it.
mattman

Post by mattman »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:52 pm
mattman wrote:

But what about sliding your hand in and out of your pocket? Your hand will slide right across it. I can't see how that's a good idea.
I'll wait and see.
I think Spyderco has a pretty competent design department.
(I haven't seen one in person yet, but I imagine it would take a fairly concerted effort to get your finger in there enough to get cut, based on the images I've seen)
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

mattman wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:02 pm
BornIn1500 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:52 pm
mattman wrote:

But what about sliding your hand in and out of your pocket? Your hand will slide right across it. I can't see how that's a good idea.
I'll wait and see.
I think Spyderco has a pretty competent design department.
(I haven't seen one in person yet, but I imagine it would take a fairly concerted effort to get your finger in there enough to get cut, based on the images I've seen)
I know their design deparment is more than competent. It seems like they gave up the safety of fully enclosing the edge in order to appease the people that complaine about having small compression lock cutouts. May also be due to blade shape. I'll withhold judgement until it comes out. May be the potential to mod that section into a finger choil.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

this "non issue" of cutting oneself was addressed by Eric on the Blade Show video this year
It's a non existing problem
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

It does have some "belly" and I'm kind of wondering what it might be like in Spyderedge. However for the most part it's not really appealing to me as an EDC folder and it doesn't register to me as an outdoor knife possibility either.

I'm sure it's got a practical application that someone could appreciate but it just doesn't have a classic Spyder characteristic to it like the Millie, Para2, or about a dozen other models I could mention. Unless I would have seen it here on the Forum first hand I wouldn't even have guessed it being in the main Spyderco line up. It will be interesting to see how it goes over.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:06 pm
It does have some "belly" and I'm kind of wondering what it might be like in Spyderedge. However for the most part it's not really appealing to me as an EDC folder and it doesn't register to me as an outdoor knife possibility either.

I'm sure it's got a practical application that someone could appreciate but it just doesn't have a classic Spyder characteristic to it like the Millie, Para2, or about a dozen other models I could mention. Unless I would have seen it here on the Forum first hand I wouldn't even have guessed it being in the main Spyderco line up. It will be interesting to see how it goes over.
I was thinking that this was meant to be more of a fancy tactical or gentleman's tactical knife. I find the blade shape appealing. I'm not too hip on flippers though. The handles are beautiful. Idk about it.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Spyderman91 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:11 am
There were a lot of home runs in the 2018 catalogue (smock, sabotage, the redback), but the Tropen caught my eye right away...

I preordered as soon as I could and realized after my excitement, that I had no idea when the knife would actually be released XD.

Either way, very exited for this blade and the others mentioned earlier, picture for reference courtesy of knifecenter.
It's a pretty cool looking knife but not for me. Aside from that no portion of the edge of a knife that goes in your pocket should be exposed. Just doesn't seem smart at all.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

Surely it’s too large for a gent’s folder. Fancy tactical? Maybe. I don’t have any interest in this one based on looks or description. However if I could handle one, perhaps that would sway my opinion. I don’t own a knife with an Emerson wave yet so that’s interesting to me.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

ThePeacent wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:37 am
this "non issue" of cutting oneself was addressed by Eric on the Blade Show video this year
It's a non existing problem

Yes I saw that. I think it would ease many people's minds to have a neutral party comment on using it, though. We'll have to wait and see. When I'm digging all over in my pocket for some change or keys, I'm rubbing all parts of my knife. I think you'd have to admit it's a valid concern.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Tropen is up on the bay
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:35 pm
Tropen is up on the bay
good to know. I'll be looking for some youtube footage later this week.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Siguy1976

Post by Siguy1976 »

I love the wave opener. Currently own Emerson Commander, CQC8, Spyderco Delica 4, Endura 4, P'Kal, and some waved Kershaws(worth noting that the quality of the Spydercos is by far the best). The Delica 4 is my EDC. The Delica and Endura 4's have nailed the lightweight, small in pocket feel. I've been waiting for a full flat grind with a wave and compression lock for years. Just got the Tropen yesterday. It seems like a great combo of all the things I've been looking for. The wave works with stunning perfection. Amazing blade shape and steel. Beautiful scales. The smoothness of opening is beyond anything I had hoped for.
The compression lock is my favorite Spyderco locking mechanism. I can see how it presents a problem for slim profile handles. i.e. the Para Military with it's wider profile doesn't need to worry about exposed blade. I wouldn't mind a back lock version of this knife, but it would destroy the epic smoothness. Perhaps a frame lock?
I managed to cut the side of my pinky on the heel of a ZT452 while digging in my pocket for keys. In that case the blade comes very close to the edge of the scales but dosen't extend beyond. After looking at the Tropen, it seems likely that a similar accident could happen. Won't know till a few seconds after it happens ;)
I need to carry it for a while to see if the exposed blade is an issue. Worth the risk/kinda wish there wasn't a risk though.