fixed blade or Kitchen sprints

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZMW

fixed blade or Kitchen sprints

Post by ZMW »

Exclusives are up to the dealers to ask for them, correct? What about Sprints, is that Spyderco saying - lets throw some new steel and colors in there for the customers?

It seems like everyone here has crazy love for non stainless steels due to toughness, good to great edge retention, and ease of sharpening. For most people, a folder does not need crazy toughness. I know there are plenty of people here that need a tough folder and use it well. But, most people are probably fine with less toughness in a folder. But, a fixed blade should be tough, and many people like Kitchen knives in non stainless for those previous attributes

Steels like 52100 and Super Blue get so much love around here, why doesn't spyderco consider a sprint run for a fixed or kitchen blade with one of those two steels, or maybe another one that I am missing? My guess, it comes down to demand and the sales may not be there.

I personally do not need any more fixed blades. But, a new kitchen knife would be fun. A 5-7 inch fillet/boning knife in Super Blue would be great (clad or unclad?) and of course a chef, santoku, or a long carving knife would be fun as well.

Any thoughts?
Extra330SC

Re: fixed blade or Kitchen sprints

Post by Extra330SC »

ZMW wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:35 am
Exclusives are up to the dealers to ask for them, correct? What about Sprints, is that Spyderco saying - lets throw some new steel and colors in there for the customers?

It seems like everyone here has crazy love for non stainless steels due to toughness, good to great edge retention, and ease of sharpening. For most people, a folder does not need crazy toughness. I know there are plenty of people here that need a tough folder and use it well. But, most people are probably fine with less toughness in a folder. But, a fixed blade should be tough, and many people like Kitchen knives in non stainless for those previous attributes

Steels like 52100 and Super Blue get so much love around here, why doesn't spyderco consider a sprint run for a fixed or kitchen blade with one of those two steels, or maybe another one that I am missing? My guess, it comes down to demand and the sales may not be there.

I personally do not need any more fixed blades. But, a new kitchen knife would be fun. A 5-7 inch fillet/boning knife in Super Blue would be great (clad or unclad?) and of course a chef, santoku, or a long carving knife would be fun as well.

Any thoughts?
Been looking at spydercos kitchen knives in VG10 a while now. Would love to see a 7 or 8 inch chefs knife in BD1N from Spyderco!

James
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I would love a good kitchen knife pair from spyderco of a 3-4 in paring knife and a 6-7 in chef's knife. (I'd be fine with the vg10 of the current chef's knife though). 52100 would be cool and so would laminated hap40.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I just want a full LC200N kitchen knife set w/ butcherblock. I'd buy atleast 2 sets, maybe more depending on who in my family is worthy.

I'd definitely buy one for my father aswell.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:13 pm
I just want a full LC200N kitchen knife set w/ butcherblock. I'd buy atleast 2 sets, maybe more depending on who in my family is worthy.

LC200N is a big deal for harsh environments, but it performs on par with VG-10 from what I’ve read. Why would you want LC200N when you don’t really need the extra rust protection. I have never had any trouble with my stainless kitchen knives rusting. I don’t even have much trouble keeping my 1095 kitchen knives in working order.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Sprig in K390. :)
npad69

Post by npad69 »

i have read somewhere about sal talking about lc200n to be offered in the kitchen line in the future and i totally agree that sprints should also be offered to kitchen knives particularly the santoku and the chef's. i'm thinking of cruwear, s110v or even the japanese hap40 and zdp
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

npad69 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:30 pm
i have read somewhere about sal talking about lc200n to be offered in the kitchen line in the future and i totally agree that sprints should also be offered to kitchen knives particularly the santoku and the chef's. i'm thinking of cruwear, s110v or even the japanese hap40 and zdp
Ooo s110v or zdp for purely a slicer, cruwear or hap40 for a 3-4 paring knife, and vtoku2 or 52100 for a boning or chopper. I'm sure a lot of those already exist, but they don't have a spyder on them (not a kitchen knife affi).
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

zhyla wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:08 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:

LC200N is a big deal for harsh environments, but it performs on par with VG-10 from what I’ve read. Why would you want LC200N when you don’t really need the extra rust protection. I have never had any trouble with my stainless kitchen knives rusting. I don’t even have much trouble keeping my 1095 kitchen knives in working order.
1. Because one set will be on a sailboat and I think the Atlantic ocean qualifies as a harsh environment.

2. It's been a great performing, easy sharpening steel. I use my Caribbean in the kitchen more than my current kitchen knives.

3. Sal has stated they have ordered a large quantinty of LC200N.
I'm sure he wants to turn that product into profit and I'm willing to help ;)

In the end it's up to the boss man, but they don't know what you want if you don't tell them.

Edit: No Hole Please! I love Spyderco, but holes do not belong on kitchen knives. Thank you :)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

LC200N kitchen knives from Spyderco :rolleyes:
'nuff said!
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:13 pm
Sprig in K390. :)
That sounds awesome! I am sure there are some really cool combos we could come up with. Is there enough demand? Maybe not, but we can dream. I finally sharpened a small chip in PMA 11 mule when I was trimming a brisket and hit the ceramic plate (I know, bad idea, lesson learned). But that makes me want to try K390 in a larger knife then my LW Urban. Police is out, but I just bought a Military so something like a small/med fixed blade would be really cool
supracor

Post by supracor »

A Respect in 5160.
It would certainly make more sense than a 0.3 inches CPM154 bar.
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I think Sal recently stated in another thread that more kitchen knives are under development.

For myself, I appreciate the ease of sharpening something like Super Blue, but I would probably not buy a non-stainless kitchen knife; I tend to maybe do a quick rinse of knives, then set them on the counter while finishing up some other aspect of food prep, and would likely have an issue with rust.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

My favorite kitchen knife is a 5” santoku, but I want the handle bigger like it’s big brother. I have thought of trimming the big knife down...
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

rodloos wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:58 pm
I think Sal recently stated in another thread that more kitchen knives are under development.

"We've got a few interesting kitchen knives in-the-works.

sal"

;)
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

zhyla wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:08 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:

I’ve found vg10 stains a little readily in kitchen use.
Crux

Post by Crux »

I'm just waiting for the Para 3 Laser Beam Knife. In CF no doubt.
Attachments
download.png
download.png (5.45 KiB) Viewed 2037 times
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I don't at all mean to derail this interesting thread but I do think this is related. For instance my two "user" TEMPERANCE 1 models that were mainly marketed as "outdoor" type fixed blades I've found to be excellent kitchen/culinary type blades as well. I don't think that a good fixed blade just has to have just one label of "kitchen knife" on it to be good in the kitchen or for food prep jobs or that it can't be used as an outdoor knife in general.

Consider the attributes of the TEMP 1>> first of all it was available in PE & SE both ( and I have use use both variants). Also it's a full flat grind which has been proven to be optimal for serrated blades as well as being great in plain edged blades too. Not to mention that it has VG-10 which has proven to be a great kitchen knife steel as well as a good blade steel for all types of blades.

I'm also viewing the newer drop point JUMPMASTER as being available for both types of use after reviewing it recently. And I wouldn't hesitate for a nanosecond to use the SOUTHFORK for those types of jobs either. OK I think you all get the point. Because with those models you truly have the best of both worlds IMO.