A question to Mr. Glesser about "the Maxamet situation"

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
archangel

A question to Mr. Glesser about "the Maxamet situation"

Post by archangel »

Dear Sir, it was announced that Maxamet would be used in regular production Spydies. Now it seems that actually the models that were launched with Maxamet are very hard to get - or plain unavailable, at least temporarily. I personally have not jumped on the first batch because I trusted that there will come more, them being regular production models.

My question: Is this in fact just a temporary problem? Straight forward: Will we see e.g. the Para 3 with Maxamet in such quantities that all of us who have not bought one yet will get their chance?

Hope you find the time to answer. Thank you.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
JonLeBlanc

Re: A question to Mr. Glesser about "the Maxamet situation"

Post by JonLeBlanc »

If I’m not mistaken I think you can find the maxamet para3 but I haven’t really looked lately.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Gotta say, I, too, thought Maxamet was going to appear in more models and, so, did not jump at its first appearance. I sure hope my hope for more appearances isn’t hopeless.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Agreed, I did not rush to purchase any of these either. I thought they would be available like the S110V models are. I would also love to know if a Military is still on the horizon.

The ManixLW and Native5LW are both available. Is that because they are still being made or because they just haven’t sold out? I have the ManixLW and still need to give the Native a try.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Archangel,

We're still working with it, but it's very difficult to work with and we're still trying to figure out the best ways to avoid various problems presented in production. We still have our regular production needs so while it is still in processing, it is not made in high volume.

sal
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Thanks, Sal.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Excellent! We shall continue to patiently wait. Well, as patient as we can be. ;)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

I'm happy to hear its not been abandoned, Maxamet has been the longest cutting steel I've used so far. I totally let the Pm2 slip through my fingers because I also thought it was just going to be plentiful. When the s110v came out I got the first batch cause I was scared id never get. Now they're everywhere. I hope Maxamet ends up that way. I like how it takes a polished edge and the raw aggression it has, it also just keeps cutting even when dull. impressive stuff.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

What I find interesting is that the various steels that appeal to knife afis and collectors may be costly to obtain and difficult to work with. The latter often escapes our consideration when wondering why not more of it and the low volume of output. I know that was true for me. I’d like to know more about the process and problems encountered by Spyderco when venturing into this territory. Would enhance my understanding of this part of knife making and get an insight into the problem solving involved.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Michael,

Can't say too much. There is a reason you don't see too many knife companies working with some of the steels we use.

sal
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I made knives in the 80's & 90's from m35, m42, and t42 parting tools in mid to high 60's hrc, stock removal, so can appreciate the difficulty working with this type of material, keeping in mind I didn't have to deal with HT.

For 30 years I've longed for a folder with the same performance as my home made ones, though never thought it would happen. In the meantime I used an m2 bladed folder, which at the time was miles ahead of everything else out there, but still slightly lacking what I was used to.
I hated to see m2 fade away.

Thanks Sal and the Spyderco gang for bringing us folding maxamet.
Just one of several reasons I feel like y'all truly stand alone in the knife world. I hope to see the obstacles working with maxamet type steels overcome. If anyone can do it, y'all can.
mattman

Post by mattman »

jpm2 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:42 pm
I made knives in the 80's & 90's from m35, m42, and t42 parting tools in mid to high 60's hrc, stock removal, so can appreciate the difficulty working with this type of material, keeping in mind I didn't have to deal with HT.

For 30 years I've longed for a folder with the same performance as my home made ones, though never thought it would happen. In the meantime I used an m2 bladed folder, which at the time was miles ahead of everything else out there, but still slightly lacking what I was used to.
I hated to see m2 fade away.

Thanks Sal and the Spyderco gang for bringing us folding maxamet.
Just one of several reasons I feel like y'all truly stand alone in the knife world. I hope to see the obstacles working with maxamet type steels overcome. If anyone can do it, y'all can.
<mattman liked this>
archangel

Post by archangel »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:47 am
Excellent! We shall continue to patiently wait. Well, as patient as we can be. ;)

You read my mind, Darby! :) And thank You for the information, Sal!
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
archangel

Post by archangel »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:07 am
If I’m not mistaken I think you can find the maxamet para3 but I haven’t really looked lately.

Show me, cause I don't think so...
Michael
ZeroRange

Post by ZeroRange »

I just bought a new Maxamet Para 3 on eBay for $225 after a coupon. I'm obviously taking a gamble on the warranty but that's only $40 more than retail. I would also like to see it as available as s110v is Spyderco can make it work.
archangel

Post by archangel »

I have several searches saved on the bay for several models, one of them being the Maxamet Para 3, and I frequent them daily. These days multiple times, cause I hope that one of my preferred sources there might offer the Rex45 so I would really get troubled to withstand the temptation to close the chapter on Para 3 and Rex45, to give my mind finally some rest. :)

Anyway, haven't seen the Maxamet Para 3 since after it was available back then, after its release. If it became available like right now at regular price, I'd order that one. Just in case...

Plenty of offers for the S110V Para 3 out there by the way, since it's a regular production model and S110V seems not to cause problems in production.
Michael
ZeroRange

Post by ZeroRange »

Yeah I seen a Maxamet Para 3 go for $270 recently so when eBay offered the 15% off coupon I jumped on one for $265 at $225 total. I was frustrated not getting a Rex so I got the Maxamet but then the following day I got a Rex from BHQ lol. I'm going to let Maxamet patina and I'll keep Rex oiled but I want to see the edge performance. M4 had been great but already stained under the DLC and M390 has been a joy to sharpen but the edge has been fragile.
Mstach07

Post by Mstach07 »

ZeroRange wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:23 am
Yeah I seen a Maxamet Para 3 go for $270 recently so when eBay offered the 15% off coupon I jumped on one for $265 at $225 total. I was frustrated not getting a Rex so I got the Maxamet but then the following day I got a Rex from BHQ lol. I'm going to let Maxamet patina and I'll keep Rex oiled but I want to see the edge performance. M4 had been great but already stained under the DLC and M390 has been a joy to sharpen but the edge has been fragile.
Can you further explain the m4 staining under the dlc? Do you actually see this occurring?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Personally, I am waiting for the Military Maxamet.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I hope you guys manage to get some of this steel some day. It makes me really appreciate the Para 2 Maxamet I bought when they came out. And later the Maxamet Para 2 and Para 3 I bought from Spyderco (factory 2nds) for $60 a piece.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra