Rhino Reports

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
soulspy

Re: Rhino Reports

Post by soulspy »

Definitely not a flipper and it does not go all the way through the blade tang. I'm mainly curious because mine has started to rattle. It's fit into only one side of the liner.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

soulspy wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:34 pm
Definitely not a flipper and it does not go all the way through the blade tang. I'm mainly curious because mine has started to rattle. It's fit into only one side of the liner.
I’m not understanding. What doesn’t go all the way through the blade tang? Which parts (“it” and “tang”) are you referring to?

And what is fit into only one side of the liner? I’m just not comprehending what you mean. Photos?
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

MichaelScott wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:57 pm
soulspy wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:34 pm
I’m not understanding. What doesn’t go all the way through the blade tang? Which parts (“it” and “tang”) are you referring to?

And what is fit into only one side of the liner? I’m just not comprehending what you mean. Photos?
There is a pin that fits into the liner, non-lock side. There is a channel milled into the blade that looks like how a Southard blade is milled, but not all the way through. If you look between the scales straight down the long axis of the handle, right next to the pivot, you will see it. I'll try to find the video of a disassembly.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Nick shabazz has a good one.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
Big50

Post by Big50 »

I’ll jump in to say that I love my Rhino. I bought it on impulse and it’s become one of my most carred knives over the last w 2 months. It took about 2 weeks to break in but now it flips and closes great.

I used the heck out of it during a large woodworking project. It’s great for detail cutting.

I only wish it had a wire clip.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I thought that about the clip initially but I now basically forget it is there when I’m using it. I am sure if I took it off, which I tend to do with small knives, I would certainly feel a difference.

Team Innovation
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

After a few months of daily carry: the blade action has gotten smoother, and I can drop the blade almost closed with a strong wrist flip. The ergonomics are still the best on any small knife I have had. It feels like a larger knife in hand and the shape contributes to a solid and secure grip.

I was having difficulty getting the long sweep of the edge proper sharp with my Sharpmaker so I put a solid 30° bevel on with my old Lansky guided sharpener, then put a 40° secondary bevel with the Sharpmaker. Now I can wave it over a piece of paper and a piece will fall. Not really, but it is scary sharp across the entire edge.

Comparisons
It might be useful to offer some comparisons with other small Spydercos with which I have had experiences.

Dragonfly. Although the Dragonfly has a thinner blade and slices well, the Rhino’s longer blade is also a good slicer. I doubt that there is much significant difference between the two except for length in terms of slicing ability. The Rhino is a “bigger” knife although in the small knife category. Consequently, it has better ergonomics through design and increased thickness compared to the Dragonfly. The Rhino does not have the big, sharp ended, jimped hump which I find to be a feature I can do without on a small knife. Although FRN is great, I like the Rhino scales better.

The steels are different, but I don’t believe significantly.

The Dragonfly is less expensive.

Chaparral. Much the same can be said about the comparative slicing abilities of the two knives, although the Chaparral’s blade is longer, the edges are virtually the same. They share XHP. Chaparral is overall thinner giving the Rhino a more full and possibly more secure grip due to its superior ergonomics.

The Chaparral carbon fiber peel-ply scales look great but don’t have quite the traction of the Rhino’s. I prefer the Chaparral’s FRN to the peel-ply but it is too different for a meaningful comparison. And, the Chaparral has no big hump to deal with. A plus.

The FRN version is less expensive and the peel-ply knife is about the same price as the Rhino.

I’d compare the Rhino to the One-Eyed Jack but they are so different in design that it would not be helpful.

I am still a big Rhino fan and would encourage anyone who is interested to try one, or ask any questions in this thread.

Team Innovation
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

Thank you for the fllow up Michael ! :-)
cwp

Post by cwp »

I've had the Rhino for about a month now, and am very happy with it. It has largely displaced my previous favorite sub-2.5" knife, the Meerkat, as well as the two previous runners-up, the Dragonfly and the L'il Lum. That's no slur on the Meerkat -- I'm still awaiting the VToku sprint version -- but I prefer the larger blade and larger handle of the Rhino ... and it's also more visually appealing. The orange Meerkat has always been one of those "so ugly it's kind of cute" things for me, while the Rhino requires no such excuse.

• Both knives have smooth action; this is a marked contrast to my Dragonfly, which still feels stiff and heavy after eight months of use.
  • The Phantom lock is slightly easier for me to one-hand than the Rhino's compression lock, but the difference isn't huge, and the compression lock has a more secure feel to it. I've never had the Meerkat's lock fail on me, but my subjective impression is that of the two it's less solid. Both are leagues ahead of the Dragonfly when it comes to one-hand closing.
  • In use both knives feel secure in the hand, more thanks to the handle shape than anything else. The Rhino is less aggressively finger-grooved than the Meerkat, but it doesn't seem to affect how well I can keep hold of it. Neither one is as good as the Dragonfly on this score, but both are a big improvement on the Lum. I wouldn't say no to a little subtle jimping right above the pivot to keep my thumb in place, but its absence is not a deal killer.
  • The Meerkat has one of the best factory carry setups I've seen on a Spyderco, and the Rhino isn't that good. It's not bad, it just doesn't vanish into your pocket in the same way. It's no worse than the Dragonfly or the Lum, it's just not a great choice if you need to be really, really discreet. I'd like to see whether deleting the lanyard tube and moving the clip up to reuse one of the frame screws would compromise in-hand ergonomics.
  • It's not as good a slicer as the Lum's paper-thin blade. Probably on a par with the Dragonfly and an improvement on the Meerkat, although it's hard to compare the two since the Rhino's blade is significantly larger.

In the "are you seriously being this picky" department, I don't like the way the integral fingerguard on the blade keeps poking me in the index finger when I close the knife. But this is a mild peeve at worst.

Overall this is an excellent knife. If you prefer smaller knives or are not able to carry larger ones due to local laws or workplace regulations, it's definitely worth a look. It's already moved ahead of the Meerkat in my wishlist of knives to get a Nishijin sprint run, and I think that the handle shape is sufficiently aggressive that the slippery texture wouldn't notably compromise its utility in the same way it does with the Lum.

My One-Eyed Jack is supposed to show up today (much belatedly -- to give you an idea, I bought it with the CampSaver coupon!) so we'll see if the Rhino can retain its throne. But I'm inclined to agree with Michael that the two aren't really directly comparable, so it'll be more a case of whether the Jack's aesthetic appeal can overcome the Rhino's more practical design, rather than the two competing on the same areas.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

cwp,
Nice review. Love all the details and reading about your personal experiences with the Rhino.

As to some of your points, I do not feel the finger guard getting in my way. Must just be how we differ in holding the knife and closing the blade.

I have not noticed the way my Rhino carries. Some handle is visible but not much. I’m fine with the clip and have considered removing it and trying straight pocket carry for a while.

Yep, I think the One-Eyed Jack is a completely different animal. Although the G10 is smooth and rounded it fits my hand so well that the thicker handle and heavier weight just seems to work with the overall design. For me it is hard to explain but the One-Eyed Jack’s design feel and heft just basically works. You have to use one for a while to really understand this. Looking forward to your observations.

Team Innovation
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

A serious bump on this thread. Between my last post on it and now I’ve gone through a long medical odyssey. During most of that, my Rhino was a constant companion and frankly using and fondling it gave me a lot of support. I can’t explain why, but there it is. During that period I had to sell off most of my so-called collection. Now, having finished chemo and in a period of respite, I have been getting a few knives again. I love traditional slip joints, especially Great Eastern Cutlery knives, but realized I was seriously missing my Rhino. I ordered another today and it will be the one to go the distance.

I’m looking forward very much to having a Rhino again. As some of you may know, I have owned a number of Spyderco small knives. The Rhino remains the best of the bunch for me.

More reports as they may be needed.

Team Innovation
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

MichaelScott wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:37 pm
A serious bump on this thread. Between my last post on it and now I’ve gone through a long medical odyssey. During most of that, my Rhino was a constant companion and frankly using and fondling it gave me a lot of support. I can’t explain why, but there it is. During that period I had to sell off most of my so-called collection. Now, having finished chemo and in a period of respite, I have been getting a few knives again. I love traditional slip joints, especially Great Eastern Cutlery knives, but realized I was seriously missing my Rhino. I ordered another today and it will be the one to go the distance.

I’m looking forward very much to having a Rhino again. As some of you may know, I have owned a number of Spyderco small knives. The Rhino remains the best of the bunch for me.

Michael, you should try out the Baby Horn if you ever get a wild hair. I think it will be right up your alley!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Happy to hear all’s as well as can be Michael. :)

Good to see you back with a new Rhino on the way too. :cool:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:54 pm
Happy to hear all’s as well as can be Michael. :)

Good to see you back with a new Rhino on the way too. :cool:
Thank you, sir!

Team Innovation
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:53 pm
MichaelScott wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:37 pm

Michael, you should try out the Baby Horn if you ever get a wild hair. I think it will be right up your alley!
Love to some day. Never seen one in person but they look very cool.

Team Innovation