Smoothness of Sage 5

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Kuratar

Smoothness of Sage 5

Post by Kuratar »

Hello all, I recently bought sage 5 a yesterday and when it arrived I was pretty excited. I'm still very new to knives and I do not know if this is supposed be like this for a few days or not but the knife seems to be very stiff or not smooth. The movement of opening and closing require a lot more force than what I imagined and when I push the compression lock out of the way, it does not free fall but stays put until I push it with my finger. The compression lock is also very strong which I do know that it is supposed to be but it's strong to the point where I really have to press down on it for it to move out of the way. When I try to close it with a small push, it moves and stops frequently until it finally closes. Is this supposed to happen because of the lubrication not being applied yet? or some other reason?
awa54

Re: Smoothness of Sage 5

Post by awa54 »

There could be several causes for the stiff action in your Sage 5, if it doesn't feel "gritty" then it may just break in after some use and become smooth. If it does have a gritty or scratchy feel it might need a good cleaning to remove wahtever is causing that extra friction. It might also eventually need to have the pivot tension adjusted, but if you aren't familiar with doing this kind of regular mainetnence, you probably won't want to tackle adjustments or more involved cleanings.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

Welcome! Sorry to hear about your Sage 5...mine was actually the same when I first got mine as well. It was only 2nd Spyderco knife, so I was a bit nervous to try any kind of maintenance on it. But, it was quite simple. Get some Nano Oil, Benchmade Blue Lube, etc. and give a small drop on each side of the blade onto those bronze washers, that could help free it up a bit. You could also make a slight adjustment to the pivot screws using the correct sized Torx bit. If you do, be careful not to adjust them too much because the blade may no longer be centered and you could also develop blade play when the knife is locked up. I found doing minor tinkering fixed my problem, hopefully the same can be said for you.
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

My Sage 5 flicked like greased lightening right out of the box. The compression lock itself is a bit finicky if you don't keep it fully depressed until the blade is past the "catch" but the blade itself is not sticky or hung up. It doesn't just free fall but it is loose and smooth enough.

If you're in the states, I would not mess with it and would send it to Spyderco.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

First off, I wouldn't suggest using much lube on any knife. A well made knife like the Sage 5 doesn't need a lot of lube to work well and while adding lubricant may "fix" the stiffness it probably isn't the right fix and will just attract dirt in the long run.

Any way you look at it, the clean/tune/lube that will probably be required to get the OP's knife to be its best is something that could easily go wrong for somone who's new to working on knives, or who doesn't already have a good grounding in mechanical systems, so I'll second the suggestion to send it in to Golden, CO.

My Sage 5 was as good as it gets right out of the box, felt like a well broken in PM2. However I have seen other Taichung knives that had grit in the mechanism right from the factory and my Sage 1 and Sage 2 (both were "used", but looked like they had never left the box for more than a few minutes at a time) required tuning and lubrication before they were flickable... the Sage 2 is still stiff, but I think that's mostly the beefy RIL tension adding resistence.
-David

RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

awa54 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:01 pm
First off, I wouldn't suggest using much lube on any knife. A well made knife like the Sage 5 doesn't need a lot of lube to work well and while adding lubricant may "fix" the stiffness it probably isn't the right fix and will just attract dirt in the long run.

Any way you look at it, the clean/tune/lube that will probably be required to get the OP's knife to be its best is something that could easily go wrong for somone who's new to working on knives, or who doesn't already have a good grounding in mechanical systems, so I'll second the suggestion to send it in to Golden, CO.
For the lube, that's why I suggested a SMALL drop because it doesn't take much. Also, the BM lube is proven not to collect dust/dirt/grime. I've added it to the pivot area of all 12 of my Spyderco knives and have never had an issue and they all open and close very smoothly. Same goes for adjusting the pivot screw, sometimes all you need is the tiniest tweak of the screw to release that bit of hang up. Not telling him to dissect his entire knife! Just simple, quick tweaks that have worked for myself and others for years. Rather than send it away and not have it for weeks at a time when you could do it yourself in 3 minutes. But...he very well may not need to do anything at all to his knife and just break it in. Tough to say when it's not in your own hands.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

RickC27 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:28 pm
For the lube, that's why I suggested a SMALL drop because it doesn't take much. Also, the BM lube is proven not to collect dust/dirt/grime. I've added it to the pivot area of all 12 of my Spyderco knives and have never had an issue and they all open and close very smoothly. Same goes for adjusting the pivot screw, sometimes all you need is the tiniest tweak of the screw to release that bit of hang up. Not telling him to dissect his entire knife! Just simple, quick tweaks that have worked for myself and others for years. Rather than send it away and not have it for weeks at a time when you could do it yourself in 3 minutes. But...he very well may not need to do anything at all to his knife and just break it in. Tough to say when it's not in your own hands.

Absolutely, a little goes a long way and a needle applicator is the best way to get liquid lube right where it's needed, that way you don't have to use more than is advisable to get it to flow to where you want it. My usual regimen is to disassemble the pivot and apply a thin film of moly paste or marine rated grease to the pivot and washers, the great thing about grease is that it's easier to control where it ends up, since it won't wick its way through the entire pivot and maybe even the locking mechanism (which should be dry of lubricant for the safest lock-up)... also makes it easier to be certain your threadlocker is going to actually retain pivot screws.

The reason I suggested a send-in to W&R is that the OP seemed to be at the very base of the learning curve of knife maintenence, so a fairly high-end compression lock knife is probably not the best place to start learning, especially since it's fresh out of the box, with full warranty. That and as you pointed out, it's impossible to reliably diagnose a knife that you can't actually see and handle.
-David

sal

Post by sal »

Hi Kuratar,

Welcome to our forum.

Doesn't sound right to me. Where did you get your knife?

sal
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

awa54 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:14 pm
RickC27 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:28 pm

Absolutely, a little goes a long way and a needle applicator is the best way to get liquid lube right where it's needed, that way you don't have to use more than is advisable to get it to flow to where you want it. My usual regimen is to disassemble the pivot and apply a thin film of moly paste or marine rated grease to the pivot and washers, the great thing about grease is that it's easier to control where it ends up, since it won't wick its way through the entire pivot and maybe even the locking mechanism (which should be dry of lubricant for the safest lock-up)... also makes it easier to be certain your threadlocker is going to actually retain pivot screws.

The reason I suggested a send-in to W&R is that the OP seemed to be at the very base of the learning curve of knife maintenence, so a fairly high-end compression lock knife is probably not the best place to start learning, especially since it's fresh out of the box, with full warranty. That and as you pointed out, it's impossible to reliably diagnose a knife that you can't actually see and handle.
When I received my Cruwear PM2, it was stiff as a board. Compression lock was very hard to press, + made a really loud clicking sound.

Before sending it in to Spyderco and spending the money on shipping, etc. you could be learning basic knife maintenance, and playing with it within a half hour (without taking it apart). Which I dont do, unless I feel it's required.

Give it a thorough wash out under the faucet, and use some compressed air to thoroughly dry it out. Lube the pivot with Blue Lube, etc. and see if that makes a difference?

Whatever was in mine washed right out, and it's perfect now. Of course being a new knife, and your own comfort level, you can send it in for Spyderco to look at.
C
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

The knife may have already been "adjusted". Did you buy it from someone or a store? In any event it's best to not try adjustments until the knife is a bit broken in and used some and only if you know what you are doing. Be aware not all you tube videos are good advice. :) In the mean time get to know the knife better. Personally I don't want knives that fall shut. I keep mine very sharp and see no real redeeming qualities in a knife that is too loose. I learned that long ago with a scar and lost blood. :o

Joe
Kuratar

Post by Kuratar »

sal wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:27 pm
Hi Kuratar,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
I bought it from Amazon. Could that be why it's so stiff?
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Calicoast wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:23 pm

When I received my Cruwear PM2, it was stiff as a board. Compression lock was very hard to press, + made a really loud clicking sound.

Before sending it in to Spyderco and spending the money on shipping, etc. you could be learning basic knife maintenance, and playing with it within a half hour (without taking it apart). Which I dont do, unless I feel it's required.

Give it a thorough wash out under the faucet, and use some compressed air to thoroughly dry it out. Lube the pivot with Blue Lube, etc. and see if that makes a difference?

Whatever was in mine washed right out, and it's perfect now. Of course being a new knife, and your own comfort level, you can send it in for Spyderco to look at.
C

Yeah, that was my BHQ M4 PM2, it was cured by a careful loosening of all screws, then shimming the blade in a centered position and evenly re-tightening all screws. It went from bound up blade and hard lock stick to decent action and smooth lock release. After full break in it's a typical PM2, with no blade play and free blade drop when the lock is released.

Not everyone has the mechanical aptitude to do this stuff, no matter how easy it may seem to those of us who are already good at it and not everyone wants to invest the effort (and possible damage to their knife and/or fingers) to really learn to do it well. If the OP is interested in learning and doesn't have any problem taking a little risk with their Sage 5, then they have come to the right place!
-David

Kuratar

Post by Kuratar »

sal wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:27 pm
Hi Kuratar,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
I bought it from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-C123CFP ... rco+sage+5
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

awa54 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:21 pm
Calicoast wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:23 pm

C

Yeah, that was my BHQ M4 PM2, it was cured by a careful loosening of all screws, then shimming the blade in a centered position and evenly re-tightening all screws. It went from bound up blade and hard lock stick to decent action and smooth lock release. After full break in it's a typical PM2, with no blade play and free blade drop when the lock is released.

Not everyone has the mechanical aptitude to do this stuff, no matter how easy it may seem to those of us who are already good at it and not everyone wants to invest the effort (and possible damage to their knife and/or fingers) to really learn to do it well. If the OP is interested in learning and doesn't have any problem taking a little risk with their Sage 5, then they have come to the right place!
Loosening the screws, cleaning it out with some compressed air and shimming it around to center, and breaking it in is all it takes sometimes as well. Hear ya on the mechanical aptitude: even though I have done a few, it's very easy to apply too much pressure and strip out the screws with soft or wrong sized bits, and end up worse then where you started. The risk is on the OP no doubt, and comfort level.
C
Last edited by Calicoast on Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Kuratar,

Amazon should be ok, but it doesn't sound like we would let a knife out like that. I know it's a pain in the butt, but you might consider sending it to us in Golden and letting us check it out. We can fix it or replace it and we'll be far more knowlegable than anyone at Amazon.

sal
Kuratar

Post by Kuratar »

sal wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:47 pm
Hi Kuratar,

Amazon should be ok, but it doesn't sound like we would let a knife out like that. I know it's a pain in the butt, but you might consider sending it to us in Golden and letting us check it out. We can fix it or replace it and we'll be far more knowlegable than anyone at Amazon.

sal
Most definitely. I will send it ASAP. In the detailed report, should I refer to this forum topic?
sal

Post by sal »

It doesn't hurt, but I usually give customers service a "heads-up" in cases like this.

sal
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Once you start getting into folding knives, you really start to see the value in having an air compressor--or, I guess, cans of compressed air. Put some mild solvent in there, blow it out real good, you'll usually get any grit or thick sludge dislodged. Then you can put in a lube/protectant, blow it out a little to take care of the excess, and most of the time you're good to go.

But an air compressor costs, like, a whole knife. So maybe just send it in.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

dj moonbat wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:35 am

But an air compressor costs, like, a whole knife. So maybe just send it in.

ROFLMAO!!
-David