Delica HAP40/SUS410 TiCN with red G10 St. Nick's Knives Exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Re: Delica HAP40/SUS410 TiCN with red G10 Exclusive

Post by steelcity16 »

BigGrove wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:44 pm
Has the TiCN coating been holding up so far for harder use?

I havent noticed a real difference between DLC or TiCN and I have quite a few of each. They both hold up insanely well.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
citori

Post by citori »

Glad I saw this thread as I didn't know this knife existed. Going to see if St Nicks in the Huntsville mall has any and if so, roll down and grab one. Pretty knife and always wanted to see how G10 works in a Delica pattern.
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:59 pm
BigGrove wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:44 pm
Has the TiCN coating been holding up so far for harder use?

I havent noticed a real difference between DLC or TiCN and I have quite a few of each. They both hold up insanely well.
Good to know.

I decided one of the 2 I purchased wasn't as well put together as I would like. St. Nick's Knives was easy to deal with and promptly issued the refund after they received it. Great place to shop!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

citori wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:29 am
Glad I saw this thread as I didn't know this knife existed. Going to see if St Nicks in the Huntsville mall has any and if so, roll down and grab one. Pretty knife and always wanted to see how G10 works in a Delica pattern.
Welcome to the forum :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
harronek

Re: Delica HAP40/SUS410 TiCN with red G10 St. Nick's Knives Exclusive

Post by harronek »

I tried purchasing one earlier today .
I hadnt even finalised the payment process and I started getting emails from them asking why I hadnt completed the purchase and offering discount codes to try and encourage me to complete the deal .
Tried the discount code and it rejected it .
Two more Spam like emails arrived .
I decided it was all to hard and canceled the transaction , to be honest the unwanted and unsolicited Emails really annoyed me .
Then I had to go through the process of unsubscribing from their mailing list even though I had never subscribed .
Im sure the knife is really cool , I was just on the fence about buying one and their sales techniques tipped the balance .

Ken
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Yea, being someone who has previously relied on mailing lists and such systems for my living I can say that it’s a fine line between sending interesting/needed info and not contacting excessively. It can be tempting to utilize every possible feature on those programs. Customer doesn’t check out? Email! Customer sends a question? Email! Also sending a code that doesn’t work is bad form.

We had several people test out our system and make sure that the emails sent were relevant to the situation and informative without being pushy. It’s great when companies make it easy and straightforward to get what you want, quite another to tell you about a bunch of stuff you never asked for or wanted.

Long story short, hopefully they tighten up their contact methods and the experience improves. Don’t write them off entirely just due to this instance.
Foolish Mortal

Post by Foolish Mortal »

harronek wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:12 pm
I hadnt even finalised the payment process and I started getting emails from them asking why I hadnt completed the purchase and offering discount codes to try and encourage me to complete the deal .
I decided it was all to hard and canceled the transaction , to be honest the unwanted and unsolicited Emails really annoyed me .
Then I had to go through the process of unsubscribing from their mailing list even though I had never subscribed .
Im sure the knife is really cool , I was just on the fence about buying one and their sales techniques tipped the balance .

Ken
I was on the fence with this knife. I was going to grudgingly buy one for myself and one for Lori at the 190 price point. Then, I got the email with the discount. I was all in until the code didn't work. Now, I'm all out. You give your word, you should keep your word. It's not as if they sent out a BOGO or something that was obviously a mistake. 10 percent off was entirely reasonable, so nobody dismissed it as "This is obviously a mistake".

Not keeping one's word with something like this makes me wary of dealing with them in the future as well. If you can't keep your word on the small things, what happens with important things? Even more so, they didn't send out a retraction by email "Whooops! Sorry!". They simply turned the discount off and waited for people to find out the hard way, "Surprise! Tough luck, bud". No thanks.

I'm sure that they're not worried about the knife not selling. It will just take some time. Unfortunately, when it comes to business, you want to keep your cash working for you, and stock sitting around is dead money.

It might have been worth it for them, in terms of keeping their money working for them, goodwill, the advertising that an exclusive brings, etc., to have honored their word.

I'm not pissed. I just went from "Nice, but expensive", and being the type that checked out their site regularly, to totally unimpressed and deleting the bookmark.
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

As noted earlier in this thread there was comments that SNK apparently had not meant for the discount code to apply to the exclusive but after some comments/complaints did start honoring it. What's unknown was that a temporary deal and now SNK is no longer allowing it?

I will add I received one email when I signed up for their email list and one when I let the exclusive sit in my cart that got me the discount code. The only others were to keep me notified on my order and shipping status. I have exchanged emails with Greg who has replied promptly and has always been helpful.

There's my .02
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

My assumption is that this was their first exclusive and there were no plans to discount it as it was already at a thin margin. The 10% coupons were an automated feature on their website for any items left in the cart for a certain amount of time and werent really supposed to be sent on these knives, but they forgot or didnt know how to shut the feature off I am assuming. They did honor the discount on a few I believe when there was some complaining, but cut it off after that understandably. That is basically a $38 discount, which is probably all of their profit in these, if not selling at a loss at that point. I paid full price and wouldnt expect them to sell to me at a loss due to an honest mistake. If the price is too high there are definitely better values out there, but if you like this knife as much as I do it is worth the price of admission. I want them to keep offering unique exclusives, so I dont want to see them lose money due to an honest mistake. I dont think it is right to bully them into selling you the knife at a discount/loss because of an honest mistake. Thats the sense of entitlement that too many people have these days. My two cents and just my assumptions on the matter.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

It is quite possible that there was a quick rush to judgement by some. Should not penalize them for an honest mistake.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Foolish Mortal

Post by Foolish Mortal »

Well, I'm glad we cleared all of that up. I guess that I have no choice but to buy a couple of knives from them. After all, I don't want to appear to be one with a sense of entitlement based on expectations set in a silly little email. Right?

What a rush to judgement I have engaged in! What was I thinking? In fact, as punishment for my wrong think, I will wait until they all sell out, and force myself to buy one for 400 dollars on EBay. In the mean time, I will make sure that everyone who bought one understands how envious I am at their good fortune.

:)
harronek

Post by harronek »

Foolish Mortal wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:12 am
harronek wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:12 pm

Ken
I was on the fence with this knife. I was going to grudgingly buy one for myself and one for Lori at the 190 price point. Then, I got the email with the discount. I was all in until the code didn't work. Now, I'm all out. You give your word, you should keep your word. It's not as if they sent out a BOGO or something that was obviously a mistake. 10 percent off was entirely reasonable, so nobody dismissed it as "This is obviously a mistake".

Not keeping one's word with something like this makes me wary of dealing with them in the future as well. If you can't keep your word on the small things, what happens with important things? Even more so, they didn't send out a retraction by email "Whooops! Sorry!". They simply turned the discount off and waited for people to find out the hard way, "Surprise! Tough luck, bud". No thanks.

I'm sure that they're not worried about the knife not selling. It will just take some time. Unfortunately, when it comes to business, you want to keep your cash working for you, and stock sitting around is dead money.

It might have been worth it for them, in terms of keeping their money working for them, goodwill, the advertising that an exclusive brings, etc., to have honored their word.

I'm not pissed. I just went from "Nice, but expensive", and being the type that checked out their site regularly, to totally unimpressed and deleting the bookmark.
I have re-read your post from begining to end , I also revisited my own , and came to the conclusion that neither of us were or have been untruthful or unreasonable in our accounts of our interactions with the seller . As to me being a conclusion jumper ( I can only talk about myself ) I've always been prone to believing any written documentaion that I recieve from a seller about the produce that they are trying to market and sell to me .
" I know , I know " its stupid of me to be so gullible , but I was raised in another age .

Ken
Last edited by harronek on Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reject

Post by Reject »

As a sufferer of D.D.S. (Delica Deficiency syndrome). I soon as I heard about this one, :eek: I had to get one.

But my attempt to buy on line from St Nicks failed. I’m in Australia.
Contacted them via email and got a fairly quick reply. Basically; because of past problems with overseas Customs Services, they were not set up for overseas sales.

:eek: By this time my D.D.S. was kicking in.

I replied with another email ;( sort of in the context of how selling one of their knives to me may indeed save the world whale population.) :p There may have been a few tears and a bit of whimpering in there too. :rolleyes: If one can convey that sort of thing in an email.

I wasn’t feeling optimistic; but got a message back. (Leave with us and we will look into it.)
Well, :D a couple of days and couple more messages and the Delica HAP40/SUS410 TiCN G10 with red G10 was in the post. I was to be their guinea pig for overseas sales.

Never dealt with St. Micks knives before and really appreciate the extra effort they went to for a new customer. :) I look forward to dealing with them again.

On price: in 2008 the price on a C11GPFG Delica Foliage green G-10 with VG-10 blade was $164.95. :rolleyes: If judged by that,the price looks fairly good.
How much can a Koala bear?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Reject wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:07 am
I was to be their guinea pig for overseas sales.
How much do they charge for shipping Col?
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Reject

Post by Reject »

Bloke wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:34 am
Reject wrote:
They picked the $13.54 US shipping. Cheap :D but it is going to take a bloody long time to get here. :(
How much can a Koala bear?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Reject wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:40 am
Bloke wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:34 am
Reject wrote:
They picked the $13.54 US shipping. Cheap :D but it is going to take a bloody long time to get here. :(
That’s a great! I’m sure it’ll be welll worth the wait in the end. :cool:

Thanks mate! :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
citori

Post by citori »

Picked up one of these at the store today and really like it. I expected the G10 would add some width, but the handles are actually a little thinner than the FRN models I have (0.35" vs 0.38") Very grippy surfacing on them. Solidest feeling Delica I've held, and the prettiest as well.

I could do without the coating but I'm hoping over time it will look better than the naked HAP40s I have.
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

citori wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:09 pm
Picked up one of these at the store today and really like it. I expected the G10 would add some width, but the handles are actually a little thinner than the FRN models I have (0.35" vs 0.38") Very grippy surfacing on them. Solidest feeling Delica I've held, and the prettiest as well.

I could do without the coating but I'm hoping over time it will look better than the naked HAP40s I have.
How about a blade swap with a non-coated Delica? Could be interesting...
rgrad80

Post by rgrad80 »

Such a great looking knife, and one that will soon never be available again. This is my 10th Spyderco purchase in the last 30 days. I got a blue handled Spyderco Persistence as a gift...and the sickness began. The first Spyderco I purchased myself was the Paramilitary 2 in natural G10...and that is how the problem took off. Fell in love with the knife and bought 4 more PM2s in about 5 days.

Having to spend $190 on a knife could suck, or it could be fantastic. I see it as fantastic, because it will be my last Spyderco (I think) and I will have a knife in a steel and type I don't already have. :)

If you like the knife, buy it! Cook all your meals at home for a month (including lunch and breakfast) and you will not miss the $190 one bit.
Days without buying a Spyderco: 35

You always have a choice.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

rgrad80 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:27 pm
...it will be my last Spyderco...

Good luck! :p
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"