non-knife people with great knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
benben

Re: non-knife people with great knives

Post by benben »

^^^^^That salesman needs to start selling cars!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Cars?

I think that salesman could sell anything. Lol :D
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

So, Bloke, in your former life you were…?
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:46 pm
A kiwi? Lol
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

^^^that salesman probably has some angry husbands and boyfriends looking for him!
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

This is a great thread. Besides my friend at work that carries exclusively Benchmade knives, I really don't have anybody else in person to talk to about knives, besides all of you! Trying to get another colleague to join our mini knife group as he has a Kershaw Cryo, and likes all my Spydercos...but thinks I'm a whacko to spend $100+ on a knife. He told me a few weeks back, "steel is steel, they can all be sharpened and perform the same way" I tried to get into detail regarding different steels, locking mechanisms and handle scales/materials but he seemed a bit uninterested.

A lot of guys at work know I'm a knife guy and like to make comments, not to mess with me because I have a knife. For the most part I don't mind because a lot of us have been working together 10+ years. But, it's not a good look when they say it around the new employees. Which some of them then say "oh that's cool, I always carry a knife"...which instantly peeks my interest, only to find out it's some $15 Walmart folder and they don't know anything about it. Not even the difference of it being a frame lock or liner lock. Too which I'm instantly disappointed. This is why I talk to all of you everyday, I need you for my knife sanity!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Sjucaveman wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:52 pm
MichaelScott wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:46 pm
A kiwi? Lol
Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! :)

You're a cheeky bugger Adam. :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
cptdean

Post by cptdean »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:05 pm
I’ve seen one or two but I think the sales pitch would have to played a large role.

For example: A Citizen walks into a store to buy a knife. The salesman is a Spyder Knut and shows him a Delica which A Citizen seems to like. The Salesman sings the praises of the knife but adds that the PM2 which he takes from the display case and flicks open is a far superior knife with one of the best locks on earth, a blade steel that could cut the Delica in half and still shave peaches, it’s less than twice the price and it’s five times the knife. A Citizen handles the knife and agrees it feels knifier than the Delica and figures for the price difference he may as well buy it.

The clever salesman isn’t done yet and compliments A Citizen on his fine taste in knives as he takes a S110V Military out of the display case and flicks it open explaining for a few dollars more he could own the finest knife ever made and he’s carried the one he takes from his pocket and flicks open since his grandfather willed it to him when he died twenty years ago. It was grandpa's favourite knife and amongst other things he disarmed a Panzer Division with it and it’s still like new, never been sharpened and he shaves with it daily. A Citizen handles the knife and agrees it feels even knifier than the PM2.

The salesman goes on to explain that this particular knife has the best lock known to man, the steel is made in a secret laboratory by NASA and this particular knife is the preferred knife of the Special Forces and is used amongst other things to cut through submarine hulls and if he were to look closely at Special Forces tattoos he’d see the knife depicted is the same knife he’s now holding.

A Citizen is most impressed feels he’s been enlightened and buys the best knife on Earth. ;)

Well, crap, now I want a Military!!!

Also, this forum really needs a "Like" button.
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes by itself.

Dragonfly 2
, Para Military 2, Native 5 Lightweight, Chaparral Lightweight, Para 3
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

"Liked"!

This thread has been a fun read. I love that sales pitch. You could probably sell me anything.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'm the type of person who has to dive into the deep end of anything before spending any appreciable amount of money on it. From bikes to knives to PCs to automobiles, I pretty much live the "informed customer" lifestyle.

Thus, if I'm unfamiliar with something and someone starts to sell it to me, little alarm bells start to go off in my head that scream "DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH!"

I'm pretty weird. :P
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
benben

Post by benben »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:21 pm
Have I slipped into MTBR?

One of many jobs in college was in bicycle repairs and sales. The employee discount basically sucked up all my paycheck. I have a steel Bianchi cross bike and a couple steel Ibis Mojos, a ‘97 and a ‘98. Here’s the ‘97, set up rigid and single speed:

Haha, the Mojo has changed a little in 21 years! :D
benben

Post by benben »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:36 pm
I'm the type of person who has to dive into the deep end of anything before spending any appreciable amount of money on it. From bikes to knives to PCs to automobiles, I pretty much live the "informed customer" lifestyle.

Thus, if I'm unfamiliar with something and someone starts to sell it to me, little alarm bells start to go off in my head that scream "DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH!"

Yep, this is me to a T, I research everything!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

benben wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:20 pm
lonerider, I ride a ...
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

benben wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:30 pm
Haha, the Mojo has changed a little in 21 years! :D
You’re not kiddin!! However, I’m a confirmed retro grouch. Did you notice the XTR cantis with XT SLR brake levers? And an XC Pro crankset :D
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

benben wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:35 pm
curlyhairedboy wrote:

Yep, this is me to a T, I research everything!
Ditto!!
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

curlyhairedboy wrote:

i’m the same, apparently with the exception of mountain bikes.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:33 am
This probably happens even more with other companies like Benchmade since you can find their knives in pretty much any major sporting goods store where average non knife fanatical people are likely to buy one for camping or something just because they've heard the name before and "it has to be a good knife if it cost $100". Then you run into that guy at the dentist's office and he can't tell you a single thing about the knife other than he got it at REI or Field and Stream.
Yeah, Benchmade owns the "basic *****" category of fancy knives. They're well known, decent quality (not necessarily the most creative or newest materials), and everyone knows them. They're the Rolex of knives, especially the griptilians, I swear for one used non grip, there's 10 used grips for sale on eBay
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Well, one thing you never see is non knife people with great swords...lol.
Lonerider
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
talonne

Post by talonne »

I feel like no matter what the item in question may be, some people are just the type that will research and educate themselves deeply. Others will purchase something because it was there in the store at the time and met their criteria, and never think about it again.

I've found myself falling into many a rabbit-hole when it comes to hobby "things" (fountain pens, watches, etc.) because I just like to have a complete picture of what's out there, what's "worth it" to me. I feel like I'd be flying blind if I were made to just go to a store and buy something on sight. But maybe that's what many people do!
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

talonne wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:51 pm
I feel like no matter what the item in question may be, some people are just the type that will research and educate themselves deeply. Others will purchase something because it was there in the store at the time and met their criteria, and never think about it again.

I've found myself falling into many a rabbit-hole when it comes to hobby "things" (fountain pens, watches, etc.) because I just like to have a complete picture of what's out there, what's "worth it" to me. I feel like I'd be flying blind if I were made to just go to a store and buy something on sight. But maybe that's what many people do!
I agree. I do this too for most items, at least a little bit. I just want to make sure that at a minimum I'm not getting ripped off, and for items that will last a while I want to make sure I'm buying some minimum level of quality.