I definitely DON'T need another Millie, but...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
awa54

I definitely DON'T need another Millie, but...

Post by awa54 »

I do really like the KW 204P/green one that I have and keep thinking that I should get another, so I'll ask your advice (yeah, I know... get both/all is probably going to be the most common answer) on which currently available, or soon to come version should be my top pick.

a) Ti fluted Plus: sexy titanium! Minus: "just" S30V, slightly heavier than G10, not certain yet if vendor has the CQI version, or older stock

b) KW Ti/CF exclusive Plus: titanium *and* CF!, S90V Minus: ??

c) REX45 Sprint Plus: M4-ish blade steel, great color G10 Minus: not stainless

d) S110V Millie Plus: S110V, awesome "blurple" G10 Minus: ??

Yeah, I'd *love* to get them all, but it just isn't going to happen... my Millie uses are mostly yard work or hiking related, so edge retention, toughness and stain resistance are all good things, but even when I use them for challenging cutting tasks I take reasonable care of my knives, so ultimate shock resistance or stain resistance isn't a strict requirement. Neither is taking a polished edge, I have smaller blades for the kind of cutting jobs that benefit from that.

I can feel that enabling energy flowing in ;) I'm probably going to have to hide my wallet!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Evil D

Re: I definitely DON'T need another Millie, but...

Post by Evil D »

I'm interested in the Rex45 but honestly like you I really don't need another Military. Being similar (even remotely) to M4 is enough that I'll pass, since I already have M4. I would be very interested in LC200N, H1, Maxamet..

Oh to answer your question, I'd rather have the M4/Jade than the Rex45, but I really don't care for that color. Blurple is great, only real drawback is sharpening S110V if that's an issue for you. I really love my 52100 also (are they even available anymore?).
Last edited by Evil D on Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SG89

Post by SG89 »

S110V!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
PStone

Post by PStone »

I would vote the KW s90v TiCF because you get a little bit of everything in one package. Carbon fiber to lighten it up, titanium for strength, a stainless lock bar insert for extended life of the lock face, and s90v for that super steel fix.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

But you do David ... you do! :)

I'm probably the last bloke you should ask about the Military because I want them all but I'd say go with the Sprint Rex or the Fluted Ti while it's on special but if you don't have an S110V you gotta be nuts. ;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

awa54 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:16 pm
I do really like the KW 204P/green one that I have and keep thinking that I should get another, so I'll ask your advice (yeah, I know... get both/all is probably going to be the most common answer) on which currently available, or soon to come version should be my top pick.
Since you already have a liner lock G10 military. ..why not try out one of the Framelocks? The fluted titanium and KW CF/TI are the only ones I have in my collection. I think the fluted TI is one of the nicest production knives I've ever seen (including CRK). The CF/TI S90V exclusive is not far off ,so if your looking to check all the boxes like the other gentleman said, go this route.

I'm sure you'll be happy with any of the blades on your list. Have fun choosing and be sure to let us know what you pick.

James
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The Fluted Ti is a thing of beauty and not too heavy. S30V is a great steel. Mine is not the CQI version and I am fine with that. The changes are nice but not neccesary.

The KW Ti/CF is an amazing package at a great price. Everything about it is amazing. I think you should get this one.

The S110V and Rex45 are great but the other two are premium versions being offered at great prices. You also already have a G10 version.

I may be the wrong one to ask though. I have seven flavors of Military and will be getting the Rex45 as well.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I will admit that my reasoning is very subjective. Here is what I would say:

1] Knifeworks Green exclusive would have been my first choice because of the steel, the color, and the exclusiveness. Since you have one of these:
2] Perhaps the fluted Ti? The fluted Ti is beautiful, it is unusual looking, or...
3] S110V because the Midnight Blue is beautiful and the steel is top notch. It is highly stainless and has superior edge retention.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I would vote S110V since it sounds like it's going to be a user. The steel seems to check all your boxes.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Like you, David, I have and like KW’s 204P Millie. It’s my first and only, but I’m waiting gleefully for the Rex45 sprint. Not a bad second Millie, I’d say, for someone not needing another.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

KW Ti/CF exclusive. You already have a G10 one, and the Ti + CF really is the best of both worlds IMO. Plus, you already have the 204p...

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

As much as I dearly adore and to some degree worship my M390 Military with the digital camo scales. I will say that I'm officially on "Standby". Because I'll freely admit that as soon as a new supersteel that can completely blow my M390 Millie away performance-wise I'll be retiring my M390 and going with a new C-36 Military. But with the present array of newer Military models with 204P and about 4 others I could mention so far I haven't been convinced that any of the current ones could completely overtake that M390 blade.

OK I realize that there is no such thing as a perfect blade steel. But when I got this M390 Military model about 2 & 1/2 years ago it truly outclassed anything I had at the time. And I probably won't even get rid of the M390 but I"m sure with all the newer supersteels coming down the product pipeline it won't be too much longer I'll fall in love again with another blade steel. But I'm here to tell you that it's going to be one awesome blade steel that will do that because I've had excellent luck with my M390 Military model. I like the Military model a lot as it is but to match it up with a supersteel just puts that knife in another league all together. GOD BLESS The M390 Military model>>I've looked for a Para 2 in M390 and it appears folks like that steel as much as I do because they are tough to find. OK that's my C-36 Military testimony :cool:
awa54

Post by awa54 »

abbazaba wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:46 pm
KW Ti/CF exclusive. You already have a G10 one, and the Ti + CF really is the best of both worlds IMO. Plus, you already have the 204p...

I see what you did there! It *is* still entirely KW exclusive...
-David

awa54

Post by awa54 »

Hmm... so it seems like styling is going to be the decider here, after all, the most humble steel in the list is still an excellent performer, so cherry picking them is a bit silly. I think it's going to be down to the fluted Ti or the KW Ti/CF. Especially since I already have S110V in the Manix 2 and PM2, so I already have a dose of blurple and have the REX45 in a PM2 as well, but no fluted Ti or frame lock hybrids yet.

It's still no easy choice, the 3D milled Ti in the fluted scales is amazing, but the Ti/CF is too :( ...and then I'll have to force myself to cancel my pre-order for the REX Millie at KC.
-David

anycal

Post by anycal »

I was perfectly fine with having just the 204P model. Perhaps too big for most EDC stuff, but it went with me on every hike, camping, fishing, etc. Then, KW started to give away the CF/Ti S90V R.I.L. model at $200. Man, what a beautiful knife. Now I can't wait for the Rex 45, just to add a non-stainless to the mix.

If I wasn't stuck behind a computer for living, I would carry the Military all the time.

Peter
brj

Post by brj »

Having a couple* unneeded Millies myself, out of your options I'd suggest the S110V, simply because I tend to favor the G10 iterations of the Millie over their Ti counterparts (in terms of in-hand feeling and weight distribution, they work -to me- best)

* = 'couple' might be an understatement :)

Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

I have the KW Ti/CF and love it. Plus S90V is an awesome steel. The KW Ti/CF has been my daily driver for about 4 months now. I have no trouble quickly getting it back to shaving sharp with the Sharpmaker and a strop. I expected it to be a pain to sharpen from some of the descriptions of the steel I found online, but that has not been my experience. I liked the KW Ti/CF so much, I decided to buy a backup before they sell out. I own a lot of Spydies and this is the first time I did that.
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
dtoad

Post by dtoad »

awa54 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:16 pm
a) Ti fluted Plus: sexy titanium! Minus: "just" S30V, slightly heavier than G10, not certain yet if vendor has the CQI version, or older stock

b) KW Ti/CF exclusive Plus: titanium *and* CF!, S90V Minus: ??

c) REX45 Sprint Plus: M4-ish blade steel, great color G10 Minus: not stainless

d) S110V Millie Plus: S110V, awesome "blurple" G10 Minus: ??
Of your list, my vote would be the KW Ti/CF Exclusive. (great value, for that dropped price)
Evil D wrote: I would be very interested in LC200N, H1, Maxamet..
Love the way you think, me too!!!
brj wrote: Having a couple* unneeded Millies myself, 'couple' might be an understatement :)
BRJ, me as well its a known illness :)

My stash:

Love the old aggressive jimping as well. These make me happy....
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I’d be shocked at those pics DT if I wasn’t already subscribed to your IG feed! Goes to show that outside Colorado, there’s probably more Spydercos in Oregon than any other state!! ;)

I’d also agree that the CF/Ti S90V model is tough to beat! I have unloaded many of my Millies in the last few years (some are in the DT’s pic above so they went to a great home!), but I will never sell my CF/Ti one! The only other two I currently have is a Cruwear blade also in a Ti framelock with a denim Micarta/blue G10 presentation scale and this bad boy - my “partial CQI” fluted Ti with stepped pivot and S110V blade. :D

(This is a blade swap that really shouldn’t be attempted BTW, it was not for the faint of heart!)
Last edited by RadioactiveSpyder on Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
awa54

Post by awa54 »

dtoad wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:18 am

BRJ, me as well its a known illness :)

Sorry to tell you, but I think you're stage 4 at this point ;)

dtoad wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:18 am
My stash:

Whoa!! you have more Millies than most people have knives, period. :eek:
-David