Coyote Urban/UKPK

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
UrbanMoose

Re: Coyote Urban/UKPK

Post by UrbanMoose »

sal wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:47 pm
Coyote brown Urban with AEB-L.

sal

This is very exciting news. May I ask the time frame? I'll be counting the days...
sal

Post by sal »

too soon to say.

sal
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I would love this combo in a locking UKPK Drop Point. Wonder if we will ever see a locking UKPK?
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
UrbanMoose

Post by UrbanMoose »

sal wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:31 pm
too soon to say.

sal

Thanks for the heads up Sal. I am excited at the prospect of snagging a couple of the Brown Urbans, but my trusty BB elmax ULW is still a joy that performs flawlessly :D

Best wishes

Moose
sal

Post by sal »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:13 pm
I would love this combo in a locking UKPK Drop Point. Wonder if we will ever see a locking UKPK?
The Caly 3 is a locking UKPK. It's a leaf, not a drop point, but it does lock.

sal
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Excellent news. Would love another urban.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'm very fond of the K390 urban. And seeing as I have zero knives in AEB-L, I'll grab one of these. I don't actually have high expectations for it, so I'll be interested to see how it does.

I"m impressed with Spyderco's ability to listen to their customer base, even when we have some weird requests. :)
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Aeb-l?!?!?

:)
UrbanMoose

Post by UrbanMoose »

I know nothing about this steel. A quick google suggests it can achieve a extremely fine edge but at the cost of toughness and durability.
Makes for a knife that gets sharper but wears quicker than other stainless steels shall we say...

Have I got this right?
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

Razor blade/straight edge steel if I remember correctly.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

AEB-L

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Nate

Post by Nate »

UrbanMoose wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:47 pm
I know nothing about this steel. A quick google suggests it can achieve a extremely fine edge but at the cost of toughness and durability.
Makes for a knife that gets sharper but wears quicker than other stainless steels shall we say...

Have I got this right?

I'm not sure where you got the low toughness and durability part, from what I know it's one of the tougher stainless steels available. I posted this on the last page here btw:

Nate wrote:
Jazz wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:38 pm
What is AEB-L?

It's a razor blade steel and sees some use in kitchen knives. It should behave like a stainless equivalent of 52100. High hardness, edge stability, and ease of sharpening while having the corrosion resistance that 52100 lacks.
:spyder:
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

sal wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:48 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:13 pm
The Caly 3 is a locking UKPK. It's a leaf, not a drop point, but it does lock.

sal

Thanks for the reply Sal. I guess I was referring more to the fact that the UKPK is FRN. I do like my Caly 3, but it is a little heavy for summer EDC with the G10 and liners. I carry it more in the winter in jeans. A FRN Caly 3 with a drop point blade and wire clip in something like solid SRS-15 or YSS Hap 5R would be something I would carry a lot in the summer. I feel like the drop point is a very underrated blade shape here in Spyderville. :)
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Br'er Sal is really making it hard on me with all of the new Chaparrals coming and now a brown Urban. I have to get this Urban and will be first in line (as long as it is not Massdrop or other such place that is difficult or impossible for me to buy from).
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
UrbanMoose

Post by UrbanMoose »

Nate wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:52 am
UrbanMoose wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:47 pm

Have I got this right?

I'm not sure where you got the low toughness and durability part, from what I know it's one of the tougher stainless steels available. I posted this on the last page here btw:

Nate wrote:
Jazz wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:38 pm
What is AEB-L?

It's a razor blade steel and sees some use in kitchen knives. It should behave like a stainless equivalent of 52100. High hardness, edge stability, and ease of sharpening while having the corrosion resistance that 52100 lacks.

Hi Nate. Thanks. I just had a quick google of some other forums threads of peoples' experiences of AEB-L. Saw your post but just wanted a broader feel. As I say, I know nothing of it, so am glad you've re-confirmed your positive assessment. I prefer a blade that holds a working edge longer to a blade that can take a keener edge but wears quicker. Either way, it's an Urban in brown and that's as close to a grail UK edc knife as I can obtain without selling a kidney :eek:
I shall be getting at least two of them as soon as my paycheck coinsides with their release ;) :D :spyder:
Nate

Post by Nate »

Cool, no worries, just wasn't sure if you missed it. I have a small custom fixed blade in AEB-L, as well as a Richmond Artifex Santoku. My experience with them has been positive.

I have a wide variety of steels from Spyderco, but tend to appreciate steels that I can reprofile and take to high sharpness with negligible effort the most. BD-1 and XHP are other stainless steels that work well for me in that regard, though I also carry s30v models a lot as well. I can deal with the higher carbide steels, but tend to let them get too dull before resharpening and end up kicking myself when it turns into a pita (for me anyway, I'm a lazy sharpener :D).

I think the HT on these should result in an HRC ~62, I imagine the edge-holding should be fine. I believe Sandvik's equivalent, 13C26, got a bad rap initially due to it being underhardened and left "gummy" by Kershaw, but I never had any of their knives in it.
:spyder:
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Coyote Urban in itself sounds fantastic, but with a cool steel, even better. This is the knife I'm now waiting for.
- best wishes, Jazz.
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

I’m in! What a great combo. I like AEB-L. Nice simple stuff that gets wicked sharp and requires almost zero maintenance.
UrbanMoose

Post by UrbanMoose »

Jazz wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:01 am
Coyote Urban in itself sounds fantastic, but with a cool steel, even better. This is the knife I'm now waiting for.

Do you mind! Stop reading my thoughts :D
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

UrbanMoose wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:47 pm

Do you mind! Stop reading my thoughts :D

:cool:
- best wishes, Jazz.