Is Everyone Sleeping?? Burled G10 Manix 2 is Out...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Re: Is Everyone Sleeping?? Burled G10 Manix 2 is Out...

Post by steelcity16 »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:41 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:22 pm
Spyderco keeps coming out with exclusives an sprints of the standard M2 with the CBBL. What I want is more back lock models. That would make it more interesting for me.
While I concur with the desire for more backlock action, that would not change my disdain for the water treatment scales.
Seriously though, where are the backlock Manix variants?

Yeah, definitively need some Manix backlock sprints. Probably not with these scales though. Not really into these. Not a big fan of the Zome either.
Last edited by steelcity16 on Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ucfgrad93

Post by ucfgrad93 »

Like many others, I'm not crazy about this color scheme.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Clearly not everyone's cup of tea, but I'm in the "like" column. I've already got 3 g10 sprints though and the 52100 exclusive is also tugging at me, so it's not likely atm.
:spyder:
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

Nate wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:45 pm
Clearly not everyone's cup of tea, but I'm in the "like" column. I've already got 3 g10 sprints though and the 52100 exclusive is also tugging at me, so it's not likely atm.
Showed my 6 year old daughter this knife and the 52100 exclusive from KW...Even she knew the KW was the better choice... She was sitting next to me reading this thread and said this burled version "looks like something kids that can't paint, paint" hahaha

Nothing like the brutal honesty from a child :)
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

Got mine on the first day available and I'm blown away by looks and quality of this Manix. Because of the coated liners the aggressive jimping on this version "feels" slightly toned down...very nice. I plane on getting a second one and swapping the black blade and hardware with my s110v manix...something about blue scales with blacked out screws, clip, and blade.

Nice job spyderco and thanks for building this knife!

James

Seems like there was a lot of the same talk about the colors of the Rivers Edge Para 3(my favorite version) .....look how that turned around!
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

spyderman91: “i’m so excited i found this knife that i’ve been waiting for for 5 months. i can’t wait until i get it!”

most people on this thread: “that thing is ugly. that looks stupid. i hate the manix. i hate coated blades. solid liners...?! how are you going to even lift it?! what we need is x knife in x steel and x color. i can’t believe anyone would want this knife. little girls are smarter than you.”

what a bunch of whining babies... spoiled by cqi, sprints, and a company that gives you too many options for your own good. let the man be excited about HIS knife. if you don’t like it, move on.

here are some examples of appropriate responses:

“that’s great!”
“i’m glad you were able to find what you were looking for!”
“can’t wait to see pictures of your unique burl.”
“let us know what you think of it.”
“let us know what you think of that steel.”
“enjoy it!”

at most, you could add a, “it’s not for me, but...” before any combination of the statements above (or others like them), but there’s just no need for the horrendous negativity here. again, just let HIM be excited about HIS find and enjoy HIS knife in peace. good grief.

spyderman91, i’m glad you were able to get what you wanted. your copy looks even better than the photos i saw on the websites. enjoy that knife. and i’m sure i don’t need to tell you, but don’t let these silly haters get you down.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:52 am
spyderman91, i’m glad you were able to get what you wanted. your copy looks even better than the photos i saw on the websites. enjoy that knife. and i’m sure i don’t need to tell you, but don’t let these silly haters get you down.
I certainly am and I’m sure everyone else here too is happy that a fellow member has a new knife he likes. :cool:

I’m not too sure there are any ‘haters’ amongst us and I’m not too sure anyone criticised the knife either. I think in the spirit of the forum members simply put their views across is all.

Personally I don’t dislike the knife nor the scales but I don’t like coated blades. I’d certainly buy a knife I liked with a steel I wanted with the same burled scales but probably not If the blade was coated. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Don W

Post by Don W »

I love it! Hopefully there will be a few around in a few months.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

ladybug93 wrote:
spyderman91: “i’m so excited i found this knife that i’ve been waiting for for 5 months. i can’t wait until i get it!”

most people on this thread: “that thing is ugly. that looks stupid. i hate the manix. i hate coated blades. solid liners...?! how are you going to even lift it?! what we need is x knife in x steel and x color. i can’t believe anyone would want this knife. little girls are smarter than you.”

what a bunch of whining babies... spoiled by cqi, sprints, and a company that gives you too many options for your own good. let the man be excited about HIS knife. if you don’t like it, move on.

“that’s great!”
“enjoy it!”

at most, you could add a, “it’s not for me, but...” before any combination of the statements above (or others like them), but there’s just no need for the horrendous negativity here. again, just let HIM be excited about HIS find and enjoy HIS knife in peace. good grief.

Based on the title of the thread, “Is everyone sleeping?”, I got the impression he was asking why we weren’t jumping all over this one. I think we all just gave him out opinions. I own a boat load of Spydies and I have only one with a coated blade. That is my preference and part of why I passed. I also did immediately think that it looked like melted ice cream when I first saw it and I am not in love with it.

You sound like you want to suppress the open sharing of opinions. That is not in the spirit of this forum. As long as you are respectful I encourage folks to be completely open and honest. The forum is better for it. I wholeheartedly believe in positivity in life but not to the point of it being detrimental.

You paint a picture of us being disrespectful but after rereading the thread I am not seeing it as you do. I am certainly not “hating”. Most of us are here to support Spyderco and each other and sometimes being honest is the best way to do that. I hope he loves his knife.
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I really like the handle (and the Manix for that matter) and especially the prospect of seeing other color combinations with this technique. What prevents me from getting one is actually the black blade. I don't like coated blades, that's all.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Yea I'm with BFK, I also took the thread title as a question as to why there wasn't any discussion on a newly-released knife. Most people offered their own opinion on the knife itself and didn't seem to judge anyone else's opinion on it.

I think it's important to not mislabel disagreement as strife. Obviously with written communication body language is invisible, so it's best to take people's comments at face value, and not assume they are made with vitriol.

Spyderco spoils us with a huge variety of designs, steels, colorways, you name it. This provides ample opportunity for people to disagree, but if everyone agreed all the time then Spyderco would make one knife in one color and one steel, and how boring would that be?
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

ladybug93 wrote:

“that’s great!”
“enjoy it!”

What's worse? Someone "whining" about something they don't like or someone whining about someone whining about something they don't like?

Sounds like you're on pretty even ground with us "whiners" ;)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
guywithopinion

Post by guywithopinion »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:42 am
Based on the title of the thread, “Is everyone sleeping?”, I got the impression he was asking why we weren’t jumping all over this one.
That's exactly why I posted my opinion. I'd say the language and use of two ? in the subject very clearly indicates the OP is soliciting opinions. I don't think anyone begrudged Spyderman91 owning a knife he is excited about, or suggested he shouldn't like the knife or it's a bad knife. They just stated why they weren't going to buy one, which is exactly the question the post title is asking.
ucfgrad93

Post by ucfgrad93 »

ladybug93 wrote:

I'm not hating, I'm just saying that I don't particularly like the color. If someone else does, that is ok by me.
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

Ladybug got it all sorts of twisted, as has already been stated. We weren't hating on the OP, only explaining why we didn't jump on this knife. I'm glad he likes it and hope it serves him well! Nobody wants to see anybody spend that kind of money on a knife and not enjoy it.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Personally i really like this burl g10 idea. I'm not gonna buy a manix just because of it but with the right steel in the right design, a la vanadis 10 in a military or something like that, it'd absolutely get me to open my wallet.

I really like what this offers regardless of what the haters say. Something unique and not ugly. I like unique and not ugly.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

I don't mind contrary opinions to my own :)

Part of the reason I made this posting was because every sprint run gets a lot of attention, but this one in particular felt a little lukewarm.
I will be getting the unit tomorrow, hopefully it will come before I go to work... but more than likely I'll check it out late in the evening.
Still excited to see how it'll compare to my M2 lightweight, and weight wise to the Viper Fortis I have been carrying lately. It is the only none
Spyderco pocket knife I own (gave away my kershaw emerson to a coworker a few months back).

Funny enough I will be making a separate post about that very knife because at 180 dollars I am pressed to find a better value. The Fortis has m390 Blade
steel, titanium handle frame lock, flipper tab, and a rectangular spydie hole.

Also, I have no experience with S90V what are your guy's opinion on it? I've heard lofty that it is prone to chipping, but I am not too concerned because I don't plan to hack anything with this blade.... for now >.>
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

ladybug93 wrote:

“that’s great!”
“enjoy it!”

Good grief. Calm down.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Well, I am a huge fan of the Manix 2, but,

1 - At this point I am spoiled by the Backlock manix, and won't buy any more CBBL versions.
2 - I have spent too much of my knife budget this year by far, so glad I can say no here.
3 - This just doesn't push my buttons (the burnt orange REX45 though is another matter,
do a backlock Manix in burnt orange with Rex45, and I will be right there.)
4 - something else too, but I can't remember just what now. :-)

It is a nice knife in its way, but I am satisfied to pass on it.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:21 am
the burnt orange REX45 though is another matter,
do a backlock Manix in burnt orange with Rex45, and I will be right there.

ill be there with you. id really enjoy some sprints of the backlock manix.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red