Which spyderco is in the mail?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Meat man

Re: Which spyderco is in the mail?

Post by The Meat man »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:32 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:37 am
Red/Hap40 Delica x 2 and a pre-CQI S35VN G10 Native that should have been sent the first time, but they sent me the S30V instead. I hope that Spyderco changes model #s and upc codes in the future when making CQI changes to the blade steel. Lots of confusion around the Native changes.

Got the S35VN Native today and it is clearly a fake. Awesome! This is a reputable eBay dealer that I have dealt with before, so I assume some unscrupulous buyer did a return and shipped a fake back to them, which went unnoticed by their warehouse folks, who then shipped it to me. Pretty good fake to be honest. The majority of folks who dont lurk this forum probably would have zero idea, and I bet half the forumites wouldnt even be able to tell. Hard to train a warehouse worker to spot fakes on thousands of different items, especially when they are this good. Im confident I will get it resolved with the seller. Just sucks that this is so prevalent as this is part of the reason knives are so expensive. Dealers need to make more money to cover losses on theft and fraud.

That's rotten. I hope you can get the problem resolved satisfactorily.

Just curious, what tipped you off that it was a fake?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Dang USPS, looks like I won’t get my K2 until Monday :(
Josh
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:59 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:32 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:37 am
Red/Hap40 Delica x 2 and a pre-CQI S35VN G10 Native that should have been sent the first time, but they sent me the S30V instead. I hope that Spyderco changes model #s and upc codes in the future when making CQI changes to the blade steel. Lots of confusion around the Native changes.

Got the S35VN Native today and it is clearly a fake. Awesome! This is a reputable eBay dealer that I have dealt with before, so I assume some unscrupulous buyer did a return and shipped a fake back to them, which went unnoticed by their warehouse folks, who then shipped it to me. Pretty good fake to be honest. The majority of folks who dont lurk this forum probably would have zero idea, and I bet half the forumites wouldnt even be able to tell. Hard to train a warehouse worker to spot fakes on thousands of different items, especially when they are this good. Im confident I will get it resolved with the seller. Just sucks that this is so prevalent as this is part of the reason knives are so expensive. Dealers need to make more money to cover losses on theft and fraud.

That's rotten. I hope you can get the problem resolved satisfactorily.

Just curious, what tipped you off that it was a fake?

A bunch of stuff, but comparing it to my S110V Native..

the fake is much thicker overall
weighs 4.5 oz. vs 3.6 oz on the genuine s110V
the G10 is much thicker
the G10 feels more like the "G10" used in Ganzo/Firebird knives
the screws are all completely different than the S110V
solid liners vs skeltonized on the s110v, the blade has a weird shiny finish
the Spyder logo is different (stretched taller...weird proportions)
the Spyder on the clip is raised paint rather than stamped into the clip
the lettering on the blade is different font
the Spyder logo and lettering appear printed on the blade rather than laser etched
the O's in Golden, Colorado are capital as in GOlden, COlOrado
the grind isn't quite as precise
the action isn't quite as smooth
there is a small amount of blade play
etc.

All that said though, again, I doubt a non-knife knut would pick up on any of this stuff. At first glance it is a solid, well built knife. Fit and finish are excellent. Action and lock up are pretty dang solid. Looks nice. If this was my first "Spydie" after owning Ganzo knives I probably would have assumed it was legit.

It looks to me like the tac-26 clone from Tac NWO, but with Spyderco branding. I'm going to take photos and post in the Counterfeits subforum tomorrow for those who are interested.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Crux

Post by Crux »

I'm hoping.......ALL OF THEM! I will NOT object to any knife shipments to my house, even in error. I will guard them in that case as it is the least I can do.
Can you find it and can it cut? :eek:
hackzogan

Post by hackzogan »

DLC M4 Para 3 inbound
superposition

Post by superposition »

Blade HQ Para 3 natural G-10 with the black DLC coat on the M4.
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

hackzogan wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:36 am
DLC M4 Para 3 inbound
Ditto me on that, ETA is 8/2 :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

hap40 Lum Chinese Folder... couldn't pass up the price.
I've been wanting to try hap40 and the LCF, it's a 2fer!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
CanaBrit

Post by CanaBrit »

Got a Vollotton and a Spider Edge Police 3 on the way, going through a big knife phase it seems. My first ever (quality) serrated blade, I'm excited to see how it handles? :)
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Yeah, just opened my 1st para3 jade m4! 1st impressions make me wanna say it may be my favorite spydie...but I've said that upon opening every box so far :D
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

CanaBrit wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:38 am
Got a Vollotton and a Spider Edge Police 3 on the way, going through a big knife phase it seems. My first ever (quality) serrated blade, I'm excited to see how it handles? :)
The Vallotton isn't just big, it is an enormous, massive, gargantuan thing! It does feels great in the hand and you could use it to bludgeon most game animals, I love it.
I can't wait to get mine back from Vallotton.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Well I snagged a Rex 45 from BladeOps. Now I just have to hope that it makes it into the country!

Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
CanaBrit

Post by CanaBrit »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:20 am
CanaBrit wrote:
The Vallotton isn't just big, it is an enormous, massive, gargantuan thing! It does feels great in the hand and you could use it to bludgeon most game animals, I love it.
I have it in my hand now. Its kicked a large Seb21 out of the pocket and I'm going to EDC this for a month.. I can feel the size of it in pocket already but everything else about it is amazing. It doesn't feel 'massive', I'd say it feels more 'fat'.. great in the hand though. Do you ever EDC it Sumdumguy?
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

CanaBrit wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:49 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:20 am
CanaBrit wrote:
I have it in my hand now. Its kicked a large Seb21 out of the pocket and I'm going to EDC this for a month.. I can feel the size of it in pocket already but everything else about it is amazing. It doesn't feel 'massive', I'd say it feels more 'fat'.. great in the hand though. Do you ever EDC it Sumdumguy?
Not yet, mine arrived and then was immediately shipped to Vallotton for the auto treatment.

-Thomas Jefferson
Leeroy37

Post by Leeroy37 »

Got these yesterday :spyder:
5EFCD2EB-9DD0-42D2-BC02-BC9CCF6927CE.jpeg
Lee
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Hap40 Delica. All the fuss about Vtoku2, but by the time I read up on it and thought I’d like it they were sold out everywhere I looked. Besides I want to try the wharncliffe blade. Vtoku2 will have to wait for the DF...
Last edited by Woodpuppy on Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

BHQ DLC Para 3 should arrive today.
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

Cscottsss wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:42 am
BHQ DLC Para 3 should arrive today.
Same here. I'm currently knife-less as I knew this would be showing up at my work sometime today. Brought my Torx bits from home to immediately change that pocket clip as well! Pretty much the only reason I came to work today was to get this knife in my hands haha.
attila

Post by attila »

Rex 45 PM2s from the SFO.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
juggler

Post by juggler »

Persian original version (steel bolsters and black micarta), New Old Stock from my knife shop. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas :)...
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.