Against the grain...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bodog

Re: Against the grain...

Post by Bodog »

I have no real need for any stone other than what comes with the basic sharpmaker.

Partial liners nested in G10 are really strong and i have a hard time believing that a folding knife would genuinely need something more.

I think the compression, triad, and axis/ball bearing locks are some of the best locks made but i still prefer a well done liner lock.

I like using a clean knife as a toothpick more than toothpicks. Drives my wife crazy.

Spyderco should make a cigar cutter. It already has a large spyderhole(tm). How many cigars would maxamet cut?
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
supracor

Post by supracor »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:42 pm
Most people seek to have their opinions validated rather than seeking truth. The internet has made this too easy.
What is truth?
~Pontius Pilate~

I've never been bored with Zdp, on the contrary, I'm just waiting for bigger models in this steel.
If tomorrow Spyderco made a Zdp Police i will buy 3 or 4, also if the handle was made of the $h!ttiest material of the universe.
Sal, take note :D
supracor

Post by supracor »

Bodog wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:57 pm

I like using a clean knife as a toothpick more than toothpicks. Drives my wife crazy.

Pay attention
Toothpicks are made of wood because the steel removes the enamel in a nanosecond.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

supracor wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:12 pm
Bodog wrote:

Pay attention
Toothpicks are made of wood because the steel removes the enamel in a nanosecond.
Meh. That's what my wife says. I've been doing it since i was a kid. I'm 37 now and my teeth look every bit as good as an 18th century Englishman.

I'm hoping Bloke comes through on this one
Bloke wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:05 pm
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Bodog wrote:
II like using a clean knife as a toothpick ...
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:48 pm
Bodog wrote:
II like using a clean knife as a toothpick ...
Haha, maybe 21st century Englishman rather than 18th.

I kid, i kid
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Though I believe Spyderco makes some beautiful examples and I own many from multiple brands, Ti framelocks are overrated and not the end all, be all pinnacle of production and custom folding cutlery.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

xceptnl wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:09 pm
Though I believe Spyderco makes some beautiful examples and I own many from multiple brands, Ti framelocks are overrated and not the end all, be all pinnacle of production and custom folding cutlery.
I vote for an integral made entirely out of maxamet, screws and all.
me2

Post by me2 »

I prefer low wear resistance steels, I like edge angles less than 15 dps. I don't like combo edges, though their common appearance indicates I might be in the minority of knife buyers. I don't think sharpening for its own sake is fun anymore. I don't have a strong opinion on freehand vs. guided sharpening. I've worn out brown stones for the Sharpmaker and rebeveled several knives with just the 204.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I don’t understand why people break down boxes with a folder. That is what box cutters are for.
Because I always have a knife clipped to my pocket but I don't always have a box cutter stashed in the kitchen, the office, the garage, work, girlfriends house, etc.
:unicorn
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I want to see 3V and 4V in most of the Golden Made Folders

I think Cruwear should be an evergreen production steel always available in all of the Golden knives a la Blurple S110V

I wish that every Salt model, regardless of country of origin, had H1 for SE and LC200N for PE

I would rather break down boxes with a Spydie than a box cutter

I'm not really interested in the models made in China or Taiwan

I like the Native and Dragonfly and Millie and Manix better than the PM2

I greatly prefer the Native 5 with liners over the linerless G10 version. I have the Native LW if the Native with liners is too heavy.

While I enjoy large blades for specific tasks, anything larger than a Native is too big to EDC

I like Blurple, Jade, and Red G10

Smooth scales are a deal breaker for me. Textured peel ply G10 and Carbon Fiber all the way. The rougher the better.

I don't care for laminated steels, sold them all, and probably won't buy any more

I look at knives as tools, not pocket jewelry, arm hair razors, or receipt slicers

I enjoy using knives for things that other tools would excel at within the limits of the knife and blade

I buy, try, and sell Spydies at a feverish pace keeping the ones I like and offloading the ones I don't continually as my tastes evolve
Last edited by steelcity16 on Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

tonijedi wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:36 am

I like H1.

who doesn't? :confused:
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:49 pm
I kinda agree with the serrations thing. I want a combo edge with the serrations in the middle...I want about an inch or so of plain edge at the heel and the tip.

thirded. never bought a combo edge because I want PE at the heel of my knives unless its full SE
Last edited by steelcity16 on Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Vivi wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:48 pm
I don’t understand why people break down boxes with a folder. That is what box cutters are for.
Because I always have a knife clipped to my pocket but I don't always have a box cutter stashed in the kitchen, the office, the garage, work, girlfriends house, etc.
Maybe cardboard boxes and recycle bins are different in The States, but I’ve never broken down cardboard boxes with a knife in this life yet.

I pull the tape, flat pack the box and fold it by standing on it if I have to and put it in the bin. Small boxes I stand on to crush flat. :)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Bodog wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:07 pm

I can't stand the thought of using my EDC pocket knife for cutting up food or making PBJ sandwiches. It just grosses me out knowing where my blade has been.

I'm with you on this. I never use my EDC for food prep unless I know it is clean. I have Kitchen knives for that. I do have one Pacific Salt that is my dedicated food knife in my office, but that is all it does and I wash it after every use. Nice to be able to fold it and carry it to the bathroom to wash without scaring people!
Hobnob

Post by Hobnob »

Aftermarket deep-carry pocket clips; can't stand them. Talk about hot spots. Yes I have a few.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:24 pm
Vivi wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:48 pm
Maybe cardboard boxes and recycle bins are different in The States, but I’ve never broken down cardboard boxes with a knife in this life yet.

I pull the tape, flat pack the box and fold it by standing on it if I have to and put it in the bin. Small boxes I stand on to crush flat. :)
For small boxes that works, but for larger ones I cut them in half or quarter before they go in the bin. Otherwise there's a lot of wasted space. For example the box to my new barbell was 8' long. My bin is around half that.
:unicorn
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Bloke wrote:

You've never had a massive box from an appliance, TV, rolling toolbox, etc? No way I could get that in my recycling bin. I cut up boxes almost daily to get them to fit in my bins with everything else I recycle. Otherwise they wouldnt fit. And yes, I use a Spydie and not a box cutter. Turns an annoying task into "steel research"! :D
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:39 am
Bloke wrote:

You've never had a massive box from an appliance, TV, rolling toolbox, etc? No way I could get that in my recycling bin. I cut up boxes almost daily to get them to fit in my bins with everything else I recycle. Otherwise they wouldnt fit. And yes, I use a Spydie and not a box cutter. Turns an annoying task into "steel research"! :D
Certainly had all the above at one time or another but we get three bins here, rubbish, plant matter and recycling so we’re seldom if ever short of bin space.

They’re emptied weekly (greens as required). If any bulky bits of cardboard that won’t fit because the bin’s full they’re laid flat, out of the way behind the bins and disposed off when the bin is empty again.

Different strokes I s’pose. :)
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Bodog wrote:
Spyderco should make a cigar cutter. It already has a large spyderhole(tm). How many cigars would maxamet cut?
+1 to the cigar cutter.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal