Very DISAPPOINTED w/ laminated steel sprint runs

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Lordwilson86

Re: Very DISAPPOINTED w/ laminated steel sprint runs

Post by Lordwilson86 »

The laminated lines on my endura are actually quite nice, but unfortunately the knife was over grounded on the right side of the blade(not the edge) and looks uneven when viewing it from behind the spine. Am i just being too picky?
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

attila wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:18 pm
The only disappointment I feel in the laminations is that they are such soft, scratchable 410 stainless. Lamination with, at the MINIMUM, 420 or preferably higher wear resistance steels would preclude this problem.

On heavy user knives, scratches don't matter, but if someone wants to designate a laminated blade as their prestine, "dressy" knife, they'll may be disappointed rather quickly if they cut anything besides food.

With regard to the lines, as long as they aren't near or on the cutting edge, I don't mind them.
I'm not an expert here, but I think the steels they use are about matching heat treats to the steel core and getting corrosion resistance.

Personally, I'd like the lamination lines to be even and nice looking, but on a user it's not something I really think about often. If I purchased the Pakkawood handled more premium priced versions of knives, it would bother me more. I hate to say this, but I don't really purchase Japanese made Spyderco knives anymore. The prices don't match my expectations and the value just isn't there for me.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

The laminated lines on my endura are actually quite nice, but unfortunately the knife was over grounded on the right side of the blade(not the edge) and looks uneven when viewing it from behind the spine. Am i just being too picky?
I don't worry about that because I put my own edge bevels on it but for you only you can say if you are being too picky. You are the one that has to be happy with that knife.

Postby Supacede » 26 Jun 2018 10:14
Cops :rolleyes:
After a while one gets used to taking a stand and having to be willing to die on that ground. Strong opinions you alone have come pretty easily after that.

Joe
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I can definitely be a stickler for some of the cosmetic things - I had quite the hunt to find Southards with even primary grinds - so I sympathize.

Are the Seki blades laser cut? Maybe the laminated sheets were uneven?
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
restless ghost

Post by restless ghost »

I just don't understand all the vitriol. If you aren't happy send it back. If a large number of people aren't happy and they get sent back, Spyderco will get the message loud and clear and look into what went wrong. Sure, if it is sold out and you can't get a replacement that's a bummer, but it has been pointed out that these are still in stock. The all caps and victim mentality is always going to turn people off. This forum is actually one of (if not the most) civil forums of all the ones I frequent. Folks on here are generally pretty easy going. :cool:
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I don’t recall anyone telling you to get over it merely stating that the line variation did not affect the function. And, that they were ok with it.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Trackstar555

Post by Trackstar555 »

restless ghost wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:22 pm
I just don't understand all the vitriol. If you aren't happy send it back. If a large number of people aren't happy and they get sent back, Spyderco will get the message loud and clear and look into what went wrong. Sure, if it is sold out and you can't get a replacement that's a bummer, but it has been pointed out that these are still in stock. The all caps and victim mentality is always going to turn people off. This forum is actually one of (if not the most) civil forums of all the ones I frequent. Folks on here are generally pretty easy going. :cool:
Victim mentality.........far from it. Lots of people here answered my question. Sal chimed in and I returned the endura to the original vendor this morning. I love Spyderco, sprint runs and new exotic steels. I don’t like some issues and I was just posting what I thought was an issue and asked if others had an issue as well. Some do and others don’t. Victim mentality......hardly. The worst part about forums is the words typed is open to interpretation by the person reading them. 80% of communication is non verbal. So the reader is ASSUMING a lot of how the poster feels.
restless ghost

Post by restless ghost »

*deleted*

wasting time here
Foolish Mortal

Post by Foolish Mortal »

Thank goodness 80% of communication is nonverbal. :)
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Trackstar555 wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:22 pm
restless ghost wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:22 pm
Victim mentality.........far from it. Lots of people here answered my question. Sal chimed in and I returned the endura to the original vendor this morning. I love Spyderco, sprint runs and new exotic steels. I don’t like some issues and I was just posting what I thought was an issue and asked if others had an issue as well. Some do and others don’t. Victim mentality......hardly. The worst part about forums is the words typed is open to interpretation by the person reading them. 80% of communication is non verbal. So the reader is ASSUMING a lot of how the poster feels.
Unsolicited advice- take a step back and simply “agree to disagree”. This forums is not one where anything you said here will be used to burn you later. This forum is so unique in that way. Most forgiving, nonjudgmental, welcoming place around. And Self policed to remain that way. Hang out for a bit and move past this thread. No one wants anyone to leave...well maybe that Mikail guy
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

^ Good advice.

You have your opinion and we all agree that you are entitled to it. You are also always encouraged to share it if you do so in a polite manner. That is how this forum operates. Your voice has been heard (and Spyderco does listen) so I do not see what more there is to gain from this thread if it continues in this direction.

You are obviously a Spyderco fan like the rest of us and you shouldn’t let this thread turn you away. It is all just water under the bridge as they say. I suggest moving on and please continue to contribute to the forum.

Also, these are in stock at some dealers still. If you pick up another please share how it goes.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

That's the thing about Spyderco. They do listen.
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

Seems to me that this thread has run its course. Really not much else good can come from it at this point.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Yea pretty soon we’ll be arguing about arguing (about...arguing?).
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Trackstar555 wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:22 pm
Lots of people here answered my question ... I love Spyderco ...
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

tvenuto wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:11 pm
Yea pretty soon we’ll be arguing about arguing (about...arguing?).
No We Won't!!!

:D
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

https://youtu.be/_T6bXYp-R9Q
Termite Toothpick

Post by Termite Toothpick »

Isn't this like complaining about the wavy lines on a Damascus blade?? Not to ruffle feathers or anything, but this is an expected trait of lamination/cladding for blades...

If the blade lamination was separating from each other then I could see an issue! But these lines are expected and give you an opportunity to talk about your hobby with others...When someone sees and asks "what is that" you can explain. As far as to even say that no two are alike!
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, HH UKPK S30V, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390, Meerkat V-TOKU2, M4 Sage 5 LW, Urban Ivory Damasteel, Leaf Storm

:bug-white-red -Derek
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

Termite Toothpick wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:22 am
Isn't this like complaining about the wavy lines on a Damascus blade??
Lol, glad you mentioned that as that was exactly the thought I had a few days ago but didn't post because didn't want to stoke the fire.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

As a user of knives, this wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. However, a good portion of spyderco's customers are avid collectors, and aesthetics certainly affects resale value. It is extremely difficult to get these lines perfectly even, especially given the grind angle, but I feel the QC department exists to maintain a certain degree of consistency. Every time you buy a knife (or almost anything), you are rolling the dice. You can only hope that it's a good one. QC can never eliminate the gamble involved in a purchase, but they should minimize it.

What's interesting is that there are more than enough knives with near-perfect lamination lines to satisfy every customer that desires perfectly even lines. Some of us who don't mind the lines being uneven (and may even see it as the knife having more character through uniqueness) would gladly take one that an avid collector may deem unacceptable. My advice to the collectors and users looking for maximum resale value would be to (whenever possible) place orders over the phone from major dealers like KC, BHQ, KW, etc. These retailers have no problem opening a box and inspecting the actual knife you will receive. This keeps a higher percentage of customers happy, and gives spyderco (and their QC department) a bit of a break for taking on a very difficult task while trying not to butcher their profit margin (they can't be expected to toss every imperfect knife). The better spyderco does, the better prices and variety we will continue to see.

My 2 cents.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?