Smock Flipper

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RickC27

Smock Flipper

Post by RickC27 »

So I just received an email from BHQ, that this knife is now available for pre-order. Had it on my wishlist for a couple months. I see other people have had this on pre-order since the beginning of the year. Any ideas why it was suddenly available to me to be pre-ordered so late in the game? Does this mean it's close to being released!?
koenigsegg

Re: Smock Flipper

Post by koenigsegg »

I think they had a limited number of preorders. The preorder was sold out so some people either cancelled or they decided to increase the amount of pre-orders
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

https://youtu.be/YuZtFJPV3pw
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Is it a production run ? I'll do my best to purchase one. It looks cool :cool:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
foofie

Post by foofie »

Anyone else notice that the clip configuration in this video and the mid-year catalog is different form the clip in the BladeHQ video? The BladeHQ shows a standard three scree clip, with the knife tapped for right or left tip up carry.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

foofie wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:21 pm
Anyone else notice that the clip configuration in this video and the mid-year catalog is different form the clip in the BladeHQ video? The BladeHQ shows a standard three scree clip, with the knife tapped for right or left tip up carry.
I noticed that too. And Eric said in the video they changed a few things from the version they showed at Shot Show. If the clip was one of them this might be a must have now for me. I did not like that goofy clip on the other one at all.
Josh
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

elena86 wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:58 am
Is it a production run ? I'll do my best to purchase one. It looks cool :cool:

Yeap, another cool one I'll have to keep an eye on :D
Last edited by Gsg9 on Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Everything about this awesome knife is screaming my name. Everything except for the steel. There's nothing wrong about S30V, I know that. It's just used in soooo many :spyder: now.... they could've opted for an exotic super steel for this beauty.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

S30V is good enough, an exotic super steel would make it more expensive and they are probably willing to sell more
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

archangel wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:38 am
Everything about this awesome knife is screaming my name. Everything except for the steel. There's nothing wrong about S30V, I know that. It's just used in soooo many :spyder: now.... they could've opted for an exotic super steel for this beauty.
I like people like you, this is why I know I'll get mine in the first batch of preorders!
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Smock himself has a video on his knife and collaboration process from last week

https://youtu.be/YuZtFJPV3pw
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

This one may seriously tempt me to sell my PM2 and get one. The design and blade shape is seriously appealing.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
jacala

Post by jacala »

I gotsta have me wuna dem .Baked Beans for 3 meals a day for a month. :-)
elena86

Post by elena86 »

ETA ? :eek:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Oogie

Post by Oogie »

I remember when Smock hit BHQ initially for preorder/down payment. The news at the time was listing the blade length at 3”. The design looked amazing, so I was quick to preorder. As the months have gone by and we’ve seen the knife in a few shows, the details have clarified to more of a 3” cutting length, closer to 3.5” blade. A little bit long for my general liking, and has dimmed my excitement slightly. But the style and features still have my attention, and I’m hoping it will easily win me over once it drops.
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

If it's carried in the left hand is it likely the button could be depressed accidentally?
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

fanglekai wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:48 pm
If it's carried in the left hand is it likely the button could be depressed accidentally?
Eric said the button won't open the blade
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
goonielife

Post by goonielife »

koenigsegg wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:48 pm
fanglekai wrote:
WAIT, WHAT????
After watching some videos again, I have to ask, does pushing the button move the detent out of the way when closing? The original smock can be opened by a wrist flick with the button pressed, and closes completely with the button pushed in.
Does this require an extra push to get past the detent when closing (regardless if the button is pushed)?
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

goonielife wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:42 am
koenigsegg wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:48 pm
fanglekai wrote:
WAIT, WHAT????
After watching some videos again, I have to ask, does pushing the button move the detent out of the way when closing? The original smock can be opened by a wrist flick with the button pressed, and closes completely with the button pushed in.
Does this require an extra push to get past the detent when closing (regardless if the button is pushed)?
https://youtu.be/mv_f9ij_yNg?t=2m28s

Doesn't look like he is pushing the button twice, I think you can close it simply by pressing the button once and shutting the blade. He talks about the button not opening the blade around the 2:59 mark.
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

The entire time I watched that video, all I wanted him to do was clear his throat! Other than that, I can't wait for this unique piece to drop!! Dying for that email that my credit card is being charged.