Elmax in Golden made knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

Elmax in Golden made knives

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I was wondering if my fellow forumites had any interest in this. So far we have mostly seen Elmax in the Italian made Spydies and for me those are not models that have a lot of appeal to me. I do have the larger Lionspy in Elmax and it is a great knife (but a little overbuilt for my tastes).

We have seen an Elmax Para2 and an Elmax Mule. I cannot recall another knife in Elmax coming out of golden. I wonder if they still have any laying around? ;)

So I basically have two questions. Would you be interested in seeing Elmax in a model coming out of Golden and if so which model? I would be ecstatic to see a foliage green Elmax Military. :D
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Bloke

Re: Elmax in Golden made knives

Post by Bloke »

I’d certainly buy an Elmax Military with foliage green scales. :cool:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Elmax is probably my favorite stainless steel so... yes. I was stupid enough not to purchase the foliage green PM2 but I shall not repeat the same mistake twice. I would be very interested in a UKPK in Elmax but not only.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I love Elmax and would love to see it in more models. I would like to see it in a Native 5 G10, Para 3, Lil Native Comp lock, UKPK, and Military
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
PStone

Post by PStone »

I would love an Elmax native. But would definitely buy a military or manix as well.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I dreamed of an Elmax Shaman for a while.

I'm not sure why I didn't grab an Elmax PM2. I think my respect for PM2s had yet to bloom into a crazy love of them.

A PM2, Millie, Manix2, or Shaman in Elmax? Someone's gonna get my money.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

I'd like to see an Elmax UKPK but for some reason or another (I would guess a supply problem?) it seems like Spyderco are not into using steels from Bohler. They only use k390 on the Police 4 and n690 on a couple of the Italian models. When they do use a Bohler steel in an exclusive model they tend to sell like hot cakes so hopefully they can add a few more to the line up.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd be into Elmax in the UKPK or Manix.

I'm sure lots of people would love to see it in the PM2, Military and Native as well.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I know Sal said he likes to use steels from the countries the knives are made in, but an Elmax Golden knife would be great. Affording it would be a different story. I would buy an Elmax Millie or a Manix 2 (for sure) if I could afford them. I think a Manix 2 back lock would be the best of the best.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

ELMAX is a good steel, but not really all that different then S30V or S35VN in production blades.

Personally I would rather see RWL-34 or CPM 154. :D
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I would love to see an Elmax Millie! I've been wanting to try something in this steel but there are not many options.

A Military would be a great platform, but I wouldn't say no to any of the other Golden models in Elmax either.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
EngDevGr3

Post by EngDevGr3 »

I think for folders you get a bit more bang for your buck with m390 vs elmax. Given the similar properties of the two steels. That is only my opinion since I am mostly in it for the steel.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Ankerson wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 10:30 am
ELMAX is a good steel, but not really all that different then S30V or S35VN in production blades.

I'd rather see Vanax. :)

But I bet Elmax has more name recognition, which would drive more sales.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Elmax is a decent stainless but if I was going to ask for a stainless knife it would be CPM 154.
But I bet Elmax has more name recognition, which would drive more sales.
I think this is right. After Kershaw first came out with Elmax knives that were affordable I took one and tried everything from a scandi grind to a convex and came to the conclusion that it was pretty close to the steels I already knew like S30V. For whatever reason it has a reputation that exceeds it's performance IMO. It's good but doesn't really offer anything I don't already have. The factory has some pretty convincing info including the CATRA test scores and the "toughest stainless" claim which I can't argue with or against but in my experience it has no benefits over S30V.

CPM 154 is easier to sharpen and fits in a niche I like but overall to be honest there is no stainless steel I currently feel excited about. S110V maybe, but that isn't as sexy any more. :) It's too available.

Joe
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Elmax is so 2016.
Captain Howdy

Post by Captain Howdy »

An elmax native would definitely find its way into my rotation is one was ever put into production
JimP

Post by JimP »

Ankerson wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 10:30 am

I've had experience with Elmax, S30V and S35VN, I've had better luck with the Elmax so it's my preference of the 3, I'm yet to try but am very interested in RWL-34 or CPM 154, what is it that makes you prefer these steels?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

JimP wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 5:16 pm
I've had experience with Elmax, S30V and S35VN, I've had better luck with the Elmax so it's my preference of the 3, I'm yet to try but am very interested in RWL-34 or CPM 154, what is it that makes you prefer these steels?
I asked Ankerson a very similar question a little while ago. This was his response...

"All depends on how CPM 154 is heat treated in the end, done for max edge retention it holds an edge for a long time, it's also pretty tough and not chippy.
In my experience it's very well balanced for a variety of uses and will hold an edge longer than both S30V or Cru-Wear if it's done right.

Those who have the RWL-34 Mule Team have some idea of what CPM 154 can do if done right.
Spyderco nailed RWL-34 perfectly.
"
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Elmax is ok with me. A Military, Police4, or a Superleaf would be cool.

RWL-34 knives would be nice too.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am completely on board with a Military in CPM 154. :)

It should be a great knife and the price point could be attractive too.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?