Let's get hyped for the Amalgam!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gundamaniac

Re: Let's get hyped for the Amalgam!

Post by gundamaniac »

Something odd certainly is happening on their site. All the Spyderco preorder models say Raffle Ticket now instead their street price.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

What....?
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I've seen the smock go out of stock at BHQ as well then back in stock at least twice
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Let's hope this comes out soon!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Chan-daman45

Post by Chan-daman45 »

Has anyone heard any more news about when this knife will be released? I keep going on the blade hq and it is constantly becoming available and then not available for pre-order. This is definitely a knife I need to get my hands on. I initially had one pre-ordered, then not, then again, then not in order to purchase the new A.T.R. 2, which I sadly discovered is probably one of the lowest QC knives spyderco has ever released so I'm back on wanting to get one of these bad boys!
sdmf74

Post by sdmf74 »

Well that is sad considering they keep bragging about their supposed "CQI". Ive decided im gonna sell my new black unused southard, it just doesnt compare to my ZT 0393. Maybe zt spoiled me but for the prices spyderco charges they need to get it together!
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

sdmf74 wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 3:46 pm
Well that is sad considering they keep bragging about their supposed "CQI". Ive decided im gonna sell my new black unused southard, it just doesnt compare to my ZT 0393. Maybe zt spoiled me but for the prices spyderco charges they need to get it together!
I think that was their first folder so it makes sense it isn't their best. Have you tried an updated Advocate to see if the CQI really helps? As far as I know the Southard hasn't been changed.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
sdmf74

Post by sdmf74 »

No but that did strike my curiosity, even looked for some advocate cqi YT videos was hoping to see a breakdown of the knife and see if they actually improved anything.
I see what your saying about the southard however I still stand behind my statement, they were asking what like $230 for the southard. They knew **** well it wasnt worth That much.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

sdmf74 wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 4:28 pm
No but that did strike my curiosity, even looked for some advocate cqi YT videos was hoping to see a breakdown of the knife and see if they actually improved anything.
I see what your saying about the southard however I still stand behind my statement, they were asking what like $230 for the southard. They knew **** well it wasnt worth That much.
Spyderco are def proud of their titanium and most of the time the cost reflects this fact. I think the sliverax has the new bearing system and it seems much beefier than my southard. Also you should look up therealPlatonicForms he sells an aftermarket bearing setup if you do like the knife minus the action.
Chan-daman45

Post by Chan-daman45 »

I just wish that it was only the bearing system that needed improvement. When I received my atr 2 the knife was completely covered in tooling marks and deep gouges. It looked like someone has made it in a hut, not only that but it also was not centered and had an atrocious amount of up and down blade play. I sent it back hoping it was just a lemon but the second sample I received was even worse. The compression lock even failed under hand pressure. It made me very sad as I waited for that knife since 2016. Strangely however, I've heard similar construction and finish problems have been present on quite a few new models coming out of seki city. Especially non lock back folders. I love spyderco but I do find it completely unacceptable for $200+ knife coming out of the same factory as the delica be about 10 times lower in quality than that same delica. Above all the knife had teflon washers. All of the taichung knives I've had and handled however have been great in terms of quality. Granted the ball bearing pivot needed addressing but has from what I know now been taken care of. Makes me really excited to see the amalgam coming out of that factory.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

You'll definitely see a difference between stuff made in the various facilities.

As someone who recently picked up a CQI Advocate, I can see and feel the improvements. I thought the Southard was a high-performance cutter, but the Advocate just dials that up to 11.

Really excited for the Amalgam.
skybladefromthe

Post by skybladefromthe »

I'm still hyped and have been since I saw Eric's introduction of "Amalgam" in a video that was made during ShotShow 2018. In fact I wanted it enough so that it was my first preorder of any knife. I think I made that pre-order back in mid February. I had the Sliver but sold it in anticipation. There was nothing wrong with the Sliver Ax, but the Amalgam just speaks louder to me. sdmf74, are you thinking they are sold out already? I haven't ever been here before! Thanks!
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

In my opinion, the quality of the production sample was quite nice and the design is executed quite well. Considering it's not a fancy midtech-y knife design, the quality is right there with all the other Taichung Spydies I've ever seen.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

gundamaniac wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 7:22 pm
In my opinion, the quality of the production sample was quite nice and the design is executed quite well. Considering it's not a fancy midtech-y knife design, the quality is right there with all the other Taichung Spydies I've ever seen.
I'm rather excited for it. :D
Chan-daman45

Post by Chan-daman45 »

It just came back for preorder on blade HQ. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on it :)
radiopej

Post by radiopej »

I'm so excited for this knife. The only reason I haven't pre-ordered is that I get my knives through a guy in Sydney, and I'm waiting for the release to get it through him. I think I'll cry if it sells out - it's the first knife I've ever saved up to buy before the release, rather than afterwards.
Rock

Post by Rock »

The blade shape is the least interesting aspect of the design, IMHO. Remove it from the handle and it's meh. I'd prefer more of a Leaf pattern or even a large Wharncliffe. The larger size, flipper, and compression lock are what gives it its appeal.
Rock
US Navy, US Army, & LEO
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

gundamaniac wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:58 pm
Thanks for the feedback re: blade length, blade shape, and usage. These are all good points and good for my personal reference. In my personal usage, I've been carrying a roughly 3.5 inch blade for my EDC but find slightly longer blades more enjoyable to use.

Surfingringo, thanks for your input! You're absolutely right, I went with that blade profile because that's what I'm used to using and and it's what appealed to me aesthetically. My goal aesthetically was to create a nice general purpose compression lock flipper with, as people have pointed out, a more "traditional" style in order to try and appeal to the types of people who may typically pass over Spyderco's usually unconventional looks (but oh boy do their designs work and feel great). I hope the handle works out for you if you get a chance to try it at Blade Show. I can only speak for myself, but I think Spyderco have done a great job with it and it feels very nice in my hands.
Hey Brian, I did indeed get to handle the Amalgam today at Blade and just as I suspected based on the photos, the handle fits like a glove. I think the Amalgam had my favorite ergonomics of anything in the prototype cabinet. Like I said, it wasn’t my favorite blade shape in the cabinet but I suspect most will love it. I think what you did with that handle says far more about your skill as a maker than whatever blade shape you chose for this particular design. Kudos. A+ on this one!
fanglekai

Post by fanglekai »

Any chance of a lefty version?
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Gosh this is a nice looking one; of course, there’s a lot to be admired in this mid year update.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara