The Tactical Bottle Opener: Spyderco ClipiTool Standard

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Re: At Last, A Tactical Bottle Opener

Post by Mad Mac »

Craft beers, micro-brewed beers, typically do not have twist off caps here in the U.S. Most cans still require a can opener but pull top cans are becoming more common.

Where are you?
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I’m in Australia, the vast majority of cans are pulls here and I guess you do come across a need for a bottle cap lifter occasionally, but not enough to need one on my person at all times.
That said different markets I guess, I really hope we see a mix of other tools through.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Cheers, Mate !

Spyderco ClipiTool Standard, Lazy Magnolia Southern Pecan
Last edited by Mad Mac on Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Only cheap beer in the US comes with twist tops. (I'm sure there are exceptions, but most of the super mass produced stuff comes with a twist top and little of anything else.)

I bought Coca-Cola in a glass bottle the other day and that doesn't even come with a twist top.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Germinalphrase

Post by Germinalphrase »

Mad Mac wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:52 pm

Notice that the G10 scales do not have stainless steel liners. Instead, there is a single slab of steel in the center of the knife that serves as the lock for the blade.

The bottle opener can be opened one handed with the right hand thumb, the can opener with the left.

A Swiss Army Knife may bristle with more doodads, but in my opinion
the Spyderco Army Knife is far more robust with the few tools that matter.
Definitely putting a Standard on my list. I've always been a huge fan of the SAK form factor - with the exception of the blade - so a Lil' version of the Standard that matches the SAK closed length would be my ultimate.

Given, I have relatively small hands and rarely use a SAK style tool for any heavy lifting. It's a perfect "forget you have it in your pocket until you need it" type of lightweight tool.

The form of the SpAK looks outstanding - other than my preference for a compact model (just as I have a full sized and a compact pistol for different purposes).
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Daveho wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:18 pm
I just watched the shot show thing on YouTube and saw this and it kinda got me wondering... are cans with pull tabs and bottles with twist tops not a thing in the US?
There seems to be very strong following for bottle/can opening capabilities being a high priority, I clearly don’t get it but I will say I’m loving that blade profile, The thin long blade looks amazing!
Very interested to see future configurations.

Twist top bottles are common, but you still need a church key for the best beers. As for cans, they're more of a mixed bag, a lot of the smaller ones have pull tabs, but some don't. Most of the larger ones (28 oz. and up) that I buy don't, and quality doesn't seem to enter into it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ShaneInDenver

Post by ShaneInDenver »

I know Eric mentioned variations of the ClipiTool. I'm hoping for a bushcraft version with a saw and an awl for the two tools. Basically, a bigger version of the Swiss Bianco bushcrafter.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Germinalphrase wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:37 am
Definitely putting a Standard on my list. I've always been a huge fan of the SAK form factor - with the exception of the blade - so a Lil' version of the Standard that matches the SAK closed length would be my ultimate
The original ClipiTool Bottle Opener at 2.57" closed is very compact. I have one of those, too.

Last edited by Mad Mac on Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Germinalphrase

Post by Germinalphrase »

ShaneInDenver wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:34 pm
I know Eric mentioned variations of the ClipiTool. I'm hoping for a bushcraft version with a saw and an awl for the two tools. Basically, a bigger version of the Swiss Bianco bushcrafter.
Strongly on board with that! When I carry a SAK it is a model with the wood saw. Works better than you'd think - but this is certain lay a place where any additional length would be well appreciated.
Germinalphrase

Post by Germinalphrase »

Mad Mac wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:45 pm

The original ClipiTool Bottle Opener at 2.57" closed is very compact. I have one of those, too.
The original is a nice alternative to carrying, say, a dragonfly - but the 2018 Standard feels like a proper light work tool whereas the original is a whole other step down in robustness. I realize I'm quibbling over .5-.75 of an inch in handle length - but seeking that Goldilocks zone, I guess.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Twist caps yield to a bottle opener, too. My preferred technique.
Any excuse to flick open the Standard. Cheers !

Spyderco ClipiTool Standard, Shock Top Belgian White
Last edited by Mad Mac on Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

An armorer multi-tool it is not, but yesterday I used the Standard large screwdriver tip
to remove the picatinny rail from one rifle and adjust the Bradley Cheek Rest on another.

Spyderco ClipiTool Standard large screwdriver tip with night vision rifle scope.

Spyderco ClipiTool Standard with Bradley Cheek Rest
Last edited by Mad Mac on Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Had a beer, then opened a can of Wolf Brand to make a Chili Pie.
The only folding knife you need for the apocalypse.

Spyderco ClipiTool Standard can opener
Last edited by Mad Mac on Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Summertime is looking tasty with the Shiner Texas Heat Wave.

Spyderco ClipiTool Standard and Shiner Texas Heatwave
Last edited by Mad Mac on Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

Mad Mac wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:38 am
Summertime is looking tasty with the Shiner Texas Heat Wave.

and THIS is why we need a "like" button. Nice pic and greetings from a fellow Texan. I love Shiner, and haven't tried this years summer seasonal. Can't wait.
Germinalphrase

Post by Germinalphrase »

Do we have any hard info on the 'custom shop' idea that's been floated around (I.e. the future ability to select desired blades/tools and have a finished Clipitool made to those specs)?

Exciting, if so.
Drewthebrave

Post by Drewthebrave »

Daveho wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:18 pm
I just watched the shot show thing on YouTube and saw this and it kinda got me wondering... are cans with pull tabs and bottles with twist tops not a thing in the US?
There seems to be very strong following for bottle/can opening capabilities being a high priority, I clearly don’t get it but I will say I’m loving that blade profile, The thin long blade looks amazing!
Very interested to see future configurations.
Many mass-produced drinks are available in cans, but most of the very best craft beers are only available in glass bottles that need an opener.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Mmm fair enough, I’m okay with a cheapie bottle open open and a better steel in my blades BUT it’s a cool idea, sort of an actually good Swiss Army knife, really keen to see where they take it.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

The little brewery in Shiner is the oldest independent brewery in Texas
and has grown to become the fourth largest craft brewery in America.
They have twist off caps, but I prefer to open them with my Standard.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Spyderco has made bottle openers for a long time.

https://youtu.be/6Az09w_Y1V8