Lil Matrirch Found It’s Way Into My Collection

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JaseRicco

Lil Matrirch Found It’s Way Into My Collection

Post by JaseRicco »

Now, I know a little bit about the Lil Matriarch’s beginnings. From what I have seen the Lil Matriarch is spawned from the original Civilian. Looks like it unfolded as follows: Civilian created due to a direct request from Law Enforcement for agents whom could not carry a firearm, but could carry a knife. Matriarch created at the request of a South African distributor that wanted all the characteristics of the Civilian in a smaller package.

While watching a video review of the Lil Matriarch, the reviewer stated that much like the Matriarch, the Lil Matriarch was requested, but this time by Spyderco fans who loved the Civilian and Matriarch, but wanted an even smaller package. Not sure if this is true?

The knife that I am wondering about is this one...

A2A90335-7151-42CE-AAFA-437E64B67C2F.jpeg
Daveho turned me onto this knife about a weeks or so ago, and at first, because its from Bento Box Shop, I was completely against it. But I really like the look of that PE Reverse S blade shape on a Delica 4 design. I just don’t see any information regarding this Exclusive anywhere on the Spyderco Website or SpydieWiki, and of course, Bento Box Shop has no details at all. So I was wondering: How did this Exclusive at BBS come about? What makes it an Exclusive, I’m guessing the PE and dark blue FRN color? When was this Exclusive released? Are there any other known Lil Matriarch Exclusives I can be searching out?

And, questions about the Lil Matriarch has me curious about something else. There have been a few knives reccommended that are based off the Delica 4 design like the Salt 2, Tasman Salt 2 and the Lil Matriarch. Are there any other knives, not listed here, that are based off the Delica 4?
Last edited by JaseRicco on Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jase

Current:
Para 3 LWT & Delica 4 Damascus KnifeJoy Exclusive

On The Hunt For:
Delica 4 Sprints & Exclusives (Background here...viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85708)

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
Sharp Guy

Re: Any Information On This Knife??

Post by Sharp Guy »

I had been interested in this one for awhile. So I added one to my order for the BBS M390 Para 3. I received it a few weeks back and I like it more than I thought I would. It's not my usual style and I think that's a good thing. I haven't used it much but I've carried it IWB at work a few times. I've used it to open a couple of freight shipments that were heavily shrink wrapped and that reverse S blade zipped right through. The tip is also great for opening boxes.

I can't help to answer questions except that I know this Lil Matriarch exclusive has been for sale on BBS for at least a couple years. I think you're right that the PE and blue scales is what makes this different than the regular model.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I’m the same. It’s doing things for me :)
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

The BBS Lil' Matriarch is exclusive because of the dark blue FRN. Productions LMs came in PE and SE VG10.
Early versions have "Delica 4" imprinting on the scale; later production switched to "Lil Matriarch," as found on the BBS LMs.
I have examples of each variant.

The BBS LMs have been slow movers, but they have been bundled in various packages at good deal prices. I think it is one of those knives which is overlooked, until you use one. *Seems* like a niche-use knife, til you start using it.

Also BBS gets flak on the board, which i won't go into, but I will say that over the years I have obtained a number of discontinued and old Spydies at reasonable sale prices. Probably there are some there now.

You can correctly surmise which other Spyderco initially came out with Endura imprinting before a production change, yes? fun
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I'll just say I'd love a blue PE Lil'Matriarch... :rolleyes:
and say that my current SE Black FRN is the only non-Salt Spyderco (out of 14) that I own, together with my Resilience

I like everything about it, and it's the one non-Salt that I wouldn't get rid of!! :cool:

RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I’m not aware of any PE Lil Mat offerings prior to the BBS version. If there is, I don’t remember ever seeing one (and I’m not sure Google has either).

That said, one of the BEST FRN knives and blade shapes that Spyderco offers, hands down! :D

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:30 am
I’m not aware of any PE Lil Mat offerings prior to the BBS version. If there is, I don’t remember ever seeing one (and I’m not sure Google has either).

That said, one of the BEST FRN knives and blade shapes that Spyderco offers, hands down! :D
I'll dig mine out, RadioactiveSpyder. It is a PE with the (black) Delica 4 handle. Not a home swap job; I got it directly from the mother ship.
(OKbobaloo? With that hint, I'm sure you can google it, too ;)

Those are some real beautimous LMs you've assembled there, and fine photo composition as well.

kind regards,
a n.on
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

Here's an old pic of the PE LM:

RS, I can PM you the provenance if you'd like. (trust, but verify? ;)

kind regards,
nicked.onaut
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

As others have said, the LM is a terrific little knife that far outcuts others in it's weight class (IMHO). I only have the SE version, but have considered the PE one for some time. I never pulled the trigger because it is BBS and I have had mixed dealings with them in the past.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

nicked.onaut wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:24 am
Here's an old pic of the PE LM:

RS, I can PM you the provenance if you'd like. (trust, but verify? ;)

kind regards,
nicked.onaut
Hi Nicked,

From your hints, I know 100% where this is from (I’m a frequent customer as well!) and I think you may have scored yourself a prototype/pilot there from Golden. I looked through my old catalogs when then Lil Mat was offered and it’s only listed as a SE offering. I think you managed to snag something Eric was fooling around with. The Lil Mats in the catalog(s) all say “Lil Mat” on them.

I’d love if Sal could chime in on this! Unfortunately the SpydieWiki page on this model is nonexistent. Maybe the Deacon is aware of the answer to our question?

Thanks for your compliment on the pic! It was my Independence Day pic last year.

Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jase,

The Warncliffe version of the Delica and now we've got a serrated Salt 2 warnie in-the-works.

sal
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:01 pm

Hi Nicked,

From your hints, I know 100% where this is from (I’m a frequent customer as well!) and I think you may have scored yourself a prototype/pilot there from Golden. I looked through my old catalogs when then Lil Mat was offered and it’s only listed as a SE offering. I think you managed to snag something Eric was fooling around with. The Lil Mats in the catalog(s) all say “Lil Mat” on them.

I’d love if Sal could chime in on this! Unfortunately the SpydieWiki page on this model is nonexistent. Maybe the Deacon is aware of the answer to our question?

Thanks for your compliment on the pic! It was my Independence Day pic last year.

Cheers, Radioactive :)
Astute observations. This was a display model at the mothership, til it was time for release into the wild...

The disco'ed listing at Spyderco still shows the early Deli 4 scales (as do some sales sites/ KC etc):

Poor Lil LM has no Wiki page, and the Matriarch is tucked away with the Civilian (of course--no new SKU).

Once upon a time I did stumble upon a herd of Matriarchs, half a dozen ATS55s and a couple of the grey frns. Along with an extra hole in my head. These at least did not get stolen, like a batch of others did from that era... They're like the transoceanic cousins of the Spyderhawk. Spyderco trivia, same country of genesis as the reverse S Meerkat /etymological malapropism. And if Surfingringo reads this, must not get started on J Bay reminiscences. ..

kind regaards,
nicked.onaut
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

The Lil Matriarch is a great knife. I was initially put off by the whole Civilian/Matriarch idea as people seem to focus on these knives being intended for fighting. They would not be my first choice for that. But the LM makes a great EDC.

I'm actually considering selling off quite a few blades and picking up a wharncliffe Delica for days when I don't quite feel like the reverse S. The LM hogs my pocket quite a bit.
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:53 pm
I had been interested in this one for awhile. So I added one to my order for the BBS M390 Para 3. I received it a few weeks back and I like it more than I thought I would. It's not my usual style and I think that's a good thing. I haven't used it much but I've carried it IWB at work a few times. I've used it to open a couple of freight shipments that were heavily shrink wrapped and that reverse S blade zipped right through. The tip is also great for opening boxes.

I can't help to answer questions except that I know this Lil Matriarch exclusive has been for sale on BBS for at least a couple years. I think you're right that the PE and blue scales is what makes this different than the regular model.
Thank you for the information, very helpful.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
Delica 4 Wharncliffe, Delica 4 Wharncliffe S30V Cutlery Shoppe Exclusive, Lil Matriarch Bento Box Shop Exclusive
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

nicked.onaut wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:16 pm
The BBS Lil' Matriarch is exclusive because of the dark blue FRN. Productions LMs came in PE and SE VG10.
Early versions have "Delica 4" imprinting on the scale; later production switched to "Lil Matriarch," as found on the BBS LMs.
I have examples of each variant.
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:

Interesting how the Lil Mat was originally a Delica 4 Reverse S before it became the Lil Mat. Wonder what the thoughts behind this were.

Sal, wanna hit us with a Lil bit of insight here??(see what I did there) :D Always love learning about Spyderco history, especially when it comes to the different models and how they came to be.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

ThePeacent wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:02 am
I'll just say I'd love a blue PE Lil'Matriarch... :rolleyes:
and say that my current SE Black FRN is the only non-Salt Spyderco (out of 14) that I own, together with my Resilience

I like everything about it, and it's the one non-Salt that I wouldn't get rid of!! :cool:

Sounds like a well liked overlooked Lil knife(see what I did there AGAIN) :D
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

xceptnl wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:01 am
As others have said, the LM is a terrific little knife that far outcuts others in it's weight class (IMHO). I only have the SE version, but have considered the PE one for some time. I never pulled the trigger because it is BBS and I have had mixed dealings with them in the past.
Great info, thank you.

Yes, BBS does not have some of the best business practices, as you will see with my disappointment in a soon to come post.
Last edited by JaseRicco on Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

sal wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:04 pm
Hi Jase,

The Warncliffe version of the Delica and now we've got a serrated Salt 2 warnie in-the-works.

sal
Very Nice!!

Care to elaborate with a possible eta :D
Last edited by JaseRicco on Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

nicked.onaut wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:44 pm
This was a display model at the mothership, til it was time for release into the wild...

Man, thats a nice piece to have.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold:
JaseRicco

Post by JaseRicco »

Thank you everyone for all the insightful information. Unfortunately, its moot as I don’t believe I will be purchasing from BBS. I came across their shipping policy, and it seems that it will cost me $15 on top of the $85 to have the knife shipped to me. I even went as far as to email BBS asking about the purchase of two of their knives totallying $170, and it will still cost the same $15. I know this doesn’t seem like that big of a deal, but considering that I can send the same two knives back to them utilizing USPS First Class Mail for $4, I think charging an exorbitant 4 X the amount that it costs me is rediculous. I know, let the ridicule begin. I just feel that in the days of fast free shipping, $15, which turns an already expensive $85 knife into a $100 knife, is rediculous. Guess I might just have to do without :mad: :(
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:

Man, I sure would like to get my hands on one of those original Delica 4 PE Reverse S’s, like that white one, but alas, a Google and Ebay search yielded no results :(

zhyla wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:46 pm
The Lil Matriarch is a great knife. I was initially put off by the whole Civilian/Matriarch idea as people seem to focus on these knives being intended for fighting. They would not be my first choice for that. But the LM makes a great EDC.

I'm actually considering selling off quite a few blades and picking up a wharncliffe Delica for days when I don't quite feel like the reverse S. The LM hogs my pocket quite a bit.

I agree 100%.

Wouln’t happen to have a PE Reverse S with a box that you are looking to get rid of, do ya? ;) :D
Last edited by JaseRicco on Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jase

Current:

On The Hunt For:

Sold: