Employment

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BrianMcCord

Re: Employment

Post by BrianMcCord »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:28 am
peacefuljeffrey wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:54 am
Bloke wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:04 am
I think if you exercise a little common sense within reason you can likely carry whatever you like in Oz albeit not legally.
Really. OK. So what you’re saying is that you’re “free” to sneak around with items that you’ll be prosecuted for if you’re found carrying them.

According to your laws, “you can, but you may not.”

See, that doesn’t fly with Americans.
A little common sense and discretion go a long way here in Oz.

We speak the same language brother but we’re different people with different cultures. One example would have to be the fact that I don’t know anyone here that carries anything other than their wits for self defence. :)
You blokes don't carry condoms? Life in the fast lane, I tell you what!
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

With reference to the idea that gun laws are going downhill fast, in the US "old wild west" in places like Dodge City, Tombstone, and Deadwood, you frequently had to leave your guns at a stable on the outskirts of town or at the sheriff's office in exchange for a paper check or, at best, check them before going into a saloon.

But yes, I routinely "sneak" into the post office to pick up or drop off mail without removing my knife from my pocket.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
ucfgrad93

Post by ucfgrad93 »

JaseRicco wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:51 pm
There have been many employer policies that I have not greed with over my years of vast experience, but I always abide by the rules and regulations set forth by the powers that be. At the end of the day, the salary that allows me to pay my bills and take care of what’s most important in my life is more pressing than whether or not I can carry a knife.
Agreed. Carrying a knife isn't worth quiting/losing my job over.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:28 am
peacefuljeffrey wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:54 am
Bloke wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:04 am
I think if you exercise a little common sense within reason you can likely carry whatever you like in Oz albeit not legally.
Really. OK. So what you’re saying is that you’re “free” to sneak around with items that you’ll be prosecuted for if you’re found carrying them.

According to your laws, “you can, but you may not.”

See, that doesn’t fly with Americans.
A little common sense and discretion go a long way here in Oz.

We speak the same language brother but we’re different people with different cultures. One example would have to be the fact that I don’t know anyone here that carries anything other than their wits for self defence. :)
Yes, different cultures indeed.

That is one thing a lot of people don't really understand and that goes for a lot of Countries.

I don't try and force my values on people from other Countries and I fully expect the same in return, but we all know how it really is. ;)

Bottom line is that it's none of my business how people live in other Countries and I really can't do anything about it even if I did care.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

It’s like punishment before a potential crime. Thought police in action.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:24 pm
What if you work at a super market or grocery store and their policy is to allow employees to use flimsy box cutters for utility cutting but you know better than that and own a Spyderco Endura or Delica or Military or Paramilitary or other folder and know for sure your knife will out do the flimsy razor knife for any form of utility cutting? Do you think it is okay for the employee to explain this to whomever is the manager or owner and try to point out to them that since they allow the box cutter what harm would it do to allow the use and carry of the Spyderco folder, as long as the person is being responsible with it?
I’m a fan of using the proper tool for the job. My experience is that, as much as I love my Spyderco folders, a decent utility knife with a retractable blade is superior for cutting large quantities of corrugated cardboard. The handle is fatter/longer and the blade is very thin, wharncliffe, and no longer than necessary, which allows good power to be applied at the tip. It’s also very fast/safe to open and close one handed.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

MichaelScott wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:16 pm
It’s like punishment before a potential crime. Thought police in action.
Yes and no, in my experience if your not being a jackass with your knife then you have no problem, If you are being a jackass then the police have a reason to stop you.

That’s how it is here anyway, I’ve never been stopped, searched or otherwise given grief over having a knife.

It seems the way you carry yourself if more relevant than if you’re carrying a knife.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Had a lot of jobs where box knives were an everyday tool. A couple of those jobs even had an issued "safety cutter" you were required to use. I still carried a pocket knife at every one of them, but I didn't make a habit out of pulling them out around anyone who would make an issue over it. These rules are more to protect the company than anything else, and it's not necessary because someone could come in and slash everyone up, it also covers them if you happen to cut yourself with an unapproved knife because then they won't have to pay for your doctor bills.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
sonarsessions

Post by sonarsessions »

Until my employers rules supersede the laws of my nation, I’ll just carry it concealed as I have my permit that allows me to ;)
"All good, just different." :D

Current Spyderco's: C240CFP Smock CF S30V, C11PBK Saber Grind Delica 4 Black VG10, C101PBN2 Manix 2 Brown CTS XHP, C28PBK2 Dragonfly 2 FRN Black VG10, C223GP Para 3 Black G10 S30V, C28GRE2 Dragonfly 2 British Racing Green ZDP-189, C28ZFPGR2 Dragonfly 2 Zome VG10, C41PBK5 Native 5 FRN Black S35VN, C101PDBL2 Manix 2 Dark Blue S110v, C94PDBL UK PenKnife Lightweight Dark Blue FRN S110V, C41PDBL5 Native 5 Dark Blue S110V, C11FPWCBK Wharncliffe Delica 4 Black VG10, C10PSFG Endura 4 Foliage Green Combo VG10, C11FPBN Flat Ground Delica 4 Brown VG10
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Grew up the son of butcher and was one for over 20 years, have more knives than many would believe. I have never bought a weapon in my life even off Spyderco and I have a lot of them.
Think that's where the world and many younger have gone wrong with banning and rules as to me it's a tool just like a spanner to a mechanic.
As mentioned a few pages ago the marketing of knives as weapons is over the top from 20 years ago. I
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I think a significant part of this is driven by people who want to remove all elements of harm and danger from their lives. They focus on items like knives and guns because they can’t talk back and not on humans who are the real problem. An unarmed human can still kill you.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
C99c

Post by C99c »

Bill1170 wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:17 pm
SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:24 pm
What if you work at a super market or grocery store and their policy is to allow employees to use flimsy box cutters for utility cutting but you know better than that and own a Spyderco Endura or Delica or Military or Paramilitary or other folder and know for sure your knife will out do the flimsy razor knife for any form of utility cutting? Do you think it is okay for the employee to explain this to whomever is the manager or owner and try to point out to them that since they allow the box cutter what harm would it do to allow the use and carry of the Spyderco folder, as long as the person is being responsible with it?
I’m a fan of using the proper tool for the job. My experience is that, as much as I love my Spyderco folders, a decent utility knife with a retractable blade is superior for cutting large quantities of corrugated cardboard. The handle is fatter/longer and the blade is very thin, wharncliffe, and no longer than necessary, which allows good power to be applied at the tip. It’s also very fast/safe to open and close one handed.

Besides the reasons already mentioned, use of box cutters also significantly cuts down on damage to products and parts. Having seen real numbers on how much this can cost a company over as little as six months and having personally spent weeks inspecting very expensive pieces that had to be scrapped due to a 1/4 incision, I am fully supportive of employers requiring specialized tools instead of employee's personal choice of knives. I still believe that anyone should be able to carry anything they want, but discretion is warranted on when tool "A" is used instead of tool "B".

Think about it like this: a box of Mac and Cheese accidently sliced open doesn't cost Publix much. A few boxes a day, per store, for a year? And that is small change compared to someone opening something like fuel line, hydraulic hoses or wiring harnesses. Then you are risking major money and liability because someone's car catches fire after a line busts due to being weakened at some point during production or a home appliance fails prematurely. Lawsuits, recalls, etc are very expensive. Very expensive. And it happens every single week.
Last edited by C99c on Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Support Knife Rights. https://kniferights.org/

Don't buy knives from EBAY or AMAZON. There are plenty of good companies that will appreciate your business and don't sell fakes.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Oh, how times have changed. As school kids we carried little knives in our pockets or pencil cases to sharpen our coloured pencils. If you didn’t have a knife you’d borrow a friend’s or the teacher would sharpen your pencils with their knife.

We’d cut or fingers on occasion but no one stabbed anyone.

If a child took a knife out of their pocket today to sharpen a pencil the school would go into lock down, police would be called, the child would be expelled and no doubt the parents held accountable. If that’s not bad enough it would more than likely get a mention on the six o’clock news.

We’ve lost the bloody plot!
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Maybe a little off topic but relative I hope.

I along with several others was just then randomly selected for Drugs and Alcohol testing in the work place.

Yes, I passed! ;)

The ‘Company’ introduced a ‘Zero Tolerance Policy’ this last year and we get tested about once a month. :eek:

The alcohol limit for a fully licensed driver here in Oz is 0.05%. So I can legally drive a vehicle at 0.049% on my way to work but my employment will be terminated if I excess 0.00% in the work place even though I only operate a desk and what’s on it. :confused:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:44 pm
Maybe a little off topic but relative I hope.

I along with several others was just then randomly selected for Drugs and Alcohol testing in the work place.

Yes, I passed! ;)

The ‘Company’ introduced a ‘Zero Tolerance Policy’ this last year and we get tested about once a month. :eek:

The alcohol limit for a fully licensed driver here in Oz is 0.05%. So I can legally drive a vehicle at 0.049% on my way to work but my employment will be terminated if I excess 0.00% in the work place even though I only operate a desk and what’s on it. :confused:
Couple of years back they changed the law here in the ACT, you could drink while driving as long as you don’t exceed the limit.. can’t do it now, definitely for the best
Caustic Dick

Post by Caustic Dick »

I can roll with what ever I want. My boss could care less.
Don't get bit by your Spyderco........
guywithopinion

Post by guywithopinion »

sal wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:16 am
Principles and values are ok. Politics and parties re off limits, please.

sal
I removed the first part of my post. I didn't initially think much of discussing changes in the law over time, but you are correct, that is politics if for no other reason than politicians changed them. I will endeavor to be more careful in the future.
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

No knives or anything sharp at my work. They're called shanks though.
sal

Post by sal »

guywithopinion wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:27 pm
sal wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:16 am
Principles and values are ok. Politics and parties re off limits, please.

sal
I removed the first part of my post. I didn't initially think much of discussing changes in the law over time, but you are correct, that is politics if for no other reason than politicians changed them. I will endeavor to be more careful in the future.
Thanx Guy,

I am certainly opinionated when it comes to politics and I'm also a bit of a junky. But I think for this forum, a vacation from politics is important to keep it civil. the country is so divided these days, that anything that brings us closer together is a good thing, even if it's something like knives (edges with their supporting structures).

sal
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I think we all did a good job keeping it civil and walking that thin line while crossing over slightly a few times.

But this was one of those topics that kinda would cross over anyway.

But politics isn't really a good subject for the main forum.

Jim