2018 Alistair Phillips!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rivy

Re: 2018 Alistair Phillips!

Post by rivy »

This is my most anticipated of the new models for sure.
Knifewing

Post by Knifewing »

Thanks, RonT2, for sending this info that I missed! Of course, I'd prefer the 3" version of the Phillips to have the same lock as the original, but with design like this, I can work with a slippie. What can I say: Spyderco is the best.
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

3.5” is just right for me so I hope this doesn’t change. Sorry to those in States that don’t allow >3”.

It’s cool there may be a 3” version too but that prototype is awesome as it is.
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I think my complaint was a bit different. When legislators decide on a blade limit, they always pick either a whole number, like 3”, or some even fraction, like 3.5”. Never 3.1” or 2.9” or 3.54”. It would seem that knife designers and makers would take this into consideration. In this case, here in Colorado, the 3.5” blade is not considered a concealed weapon, while the 3.54” blade is. So, staying wholly within or without a category would certainly increase acceptance in these situations.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

"Redback"

Great name!

So um, yeah, I'm thinking this should be moved directly to the front of the new-production line.

:p
linuxology

Post by linuxology »

I've been waiting for Alistair to be picked up. Sweet!
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Really looking forward to this one.

Here's the original concept thread from Australian Blade Forums, where Sal initiated the wide ranging discussion about what features people would want in an Australian specific model.

https://www.australianbladeforums.com/v ... el-oz.html

Alistair's custom slipjoint model which served as the basis for the Redback Spyder, first appears on page 5.

Reading back over the thread, it's quite impressive how responsive Sal and the Spydercrew have been to the ideas and requests which came up from the initial brainstorming session.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'm definitely excited for the Redback. the combination of handle ergonomics, blade shape, comp lock and wire clip is a winner!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
BravoTango

Post by BravoTango »

Man oh man... really like it.
:spyder: Ben,

The North Remembers.

Has (Always in flux): Shaman, Chef, Techno, M390 Para 3, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 M4. Manix 2 XL, Blue Weave Domino, CF Chaparral, Vtoku2 Endura 4, D-Fly Salt Hawk SE.[/s].

Wants: Manix 2 XL CPM-M4 or 4V, Compression Lock, Tip-up Military, Yojimbo 2 XL.
Volk

Post by Volk »

Love the blade shape and the red back spacer, it's going to be very hard to say no to this one. The deep carry wire clip is the icing on the cake.
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

Man I really wish it has a better steel. Sal please make it in 20CV or S110V.
blujaydad

Post by blujaydad »

Love this the way it is (except for the s30v) and will buy for sure when it comes out. If Spyderco makes a 3" slippie, and I hope they do, I would get that also!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Volk,

Welcome t our forum.

On the slippy, we're working on it.

sal
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

Cambertree wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:38 am

Here's the original concept thread from Australian Blade Forums, where Sal initiated the wide ranging discussion about what features people would want in an Australian specific model.

Alistair's custom slipjoint model which served as the basis for the Redback Spyder, first appears on page 5.

Reading back over the thread, it's quite impressive how responsive Sal and the Spydercrew have been to the ideas and requests which came up from the initial brainstorming session.
Thank you for this!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Glad to have this lead-up to a knife I look forward to getting.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
ronT2

Post by ronT2 »

Cambertree wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:38 am

Thanks for the link Cambertree.

Here's a link to a video on Alistair's Instagram page from that thread.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BOqmDemFHJX/
My EDC rotation: Kapara, Chaparral CF, Mantra, Sage 1, Sage 5, Dice, Domino, Gayle Bradley 2, PakkaDelica, Native CFF
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

hoimin wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:58 pm
Thank you for this!
ronT2 wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:28 pm

Thanks hoimin, wrdwright and ronT2, glad you found it interesting. I really think Sal and the Spydiecrew are to be commended for this sort of approach to designing a new model. It's awesome to see the whole cycle, from calling for comments and discussion, all the way to production proto in a year and a half, more or less.

Interesting to see peoples comments on the choice of steel too. I advocated for a different steel in the original ABF thread (Cruwear, CPM3V, HAP40, HAP5R or AEB-L from memory) but I was kinda surprised that most people seemed more interested in things like the colour, and name of the knife instead. Oh well, different strokes... I'm no doubt in a minority, in that I prefer VG10 to CPMS30V.

I'm very happy to see a lefty friendly, deep carry clip equipped, food prep/BBQ eating oriented knife by a fine Aussie knifemaker about to enter the Spyderco lineup.

And Sal: that's fantastic news about the slippy version in the works! I'd love to see one with the original 2.5mm thick bladestock of Alistair's custom. I've been really enjoying using the K390 Urban and Police 4 pretty much every day this year, and a slippy Alistair Phillips Redback would be like their super-slicey lovechild!

-Cambertree/5ycamore (on ABF)
rivy

Post by rivy »

Cambertree wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:36 am
hoimin wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:58 pm
Thank you for this!
ronT2 wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:28 pm

Thanks hoimin, wrdwright and ronT2, glad you found it interesting. I really think Sal and the Spydiecrew are to be commended for this sort of approach to designing a new model. It's awesome to see the whole cycle, from calling for comments and discussion, all the way to production proto in a year and a half, more or less.

Interesting to see peoples comments on the choice of steel too. I advocated for a different steel in the original ABF thread (Cruwear, CPM3V, HAP40, HAP5R or AEB-L from memory) but I was kinda surprised that most people seemed more interested in things like the colour, and name of the knife instead. Oh well, different strokes... I'm no doubt in a minority, in that I prefer VG10 to CPMS30V.

I'm very happy to see a lefty friendly, deep carry clip equipped, food prep/BBQ eating oriented knife by a fine Aussie knifemaker about to enter the Spyderco lineup.

And Sal: that's fantastic news about the slippy version in the works! I'd love to see one with the original 2.5mm thick bladestock of Alistair's custom. I've been really enjoying using the K390 Urban and Police 4 pretty much every day this year, and a slippy Alistair Phillips Redback would be like their super-slicey lovechild!

-Cambertree/5ycamore (on ABF)
Oh man... cru-wear and 3V #drool
Paracelsus

Post by Paracelsus »

Probably my most anticipated knife... ever.

This is basically the knife I have been dreaming of since I started using Spydercos, and I'm equally excited about the slippy.
S30V is fine with me, S35VN or XHP would be nice but anything more boutique will probably put this in a higher price range than I'm comfortable with.

One minor detail that bugs me. The text on the blade tang: "Taichung Taiwan" and "Spyderco S30v" should be radiused around the top of the handle.
The two offset lines on each side just look wrong. The maker's signature on the obverse side looks great, though.

ronT2 wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:18 pm

I know this is picking nits, but once I noticed it I can't unsee it.

Outstanding design work Mr. Phillips, I can't wait to have this in hand!
al1

Post by al1 »

I just want to say that I love this knife so much, I agree with what Paracelsus said, it's basically my idea of a dream knife.

I EDC a Caly 3 VG-10 and ladybug hawkbill, and the caly does most of my food prep.

The Caly 3.5 never spoke to me like the Caly3 did, but this Alistair Phillips knife does. I'll definitely be getting at least one.

I do not mind paying a slight premium for a better steel.

I know this is designed as food prep folder, I would be interested to see it in M4.

Other steels I would love for this: S110v, VG-10, 3v or 4v.

Lightning strike carbon fibre with s110v sprint?