Let's get hyped for the Amalgam!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
xceptnl

Re: Let's get hyped for the Amalgam!

Post by xceptnl »

The more I see images of this piece the more excited i get to try one in hand.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Here's hoping we see more pictures from Amsterdam!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
vernonremington

Post by vernonremington »

Any idea of a release date on these? This and the Smock are my must buys this year.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Unforunately it doesn't work for me. The flipper tab hits my finger when closing it. I am sure i could learn to work around it, but flippers aren't really my cup of tea in the first place. The only one of the new(ish) Spyderco flippers i'd consider buying is the Sliverax.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
sdmf74

Post by sdmf74 »

So glad this isnt a liner lock, I despise em and would have had to pass on it if it had been.

I loved this knife from the moment I saw it. Im buying two 2018 knives the moment they are available and this is one. Also happy its not a leaf shape blade. I too would love to see a sprint Amalgam with s90v or m390 or even 110 since I dont own anything with that steel. GREAT JOB!
Hope we get a heads up on the release date, I would have preordered one but I have a different knife on preorder right now and still havent recieved it even though everyone and their mother has one already.
Drewthebrave

Post by Drewthebrave »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:54 pm
The only one of the new(ish) Spyderco flippers i'd consider buying is the Sliverax.
I couldn't wait any longer for an Amalgam... I just ordered the Sliverax. I love the look of the Amalgam, but without a release date, I figured I might as well just get the 'ax and start saving up for the 'gam.
sdmf74

Post by sdmf74 »

I opted for an 0393 but recently got a Southard as well. personally I dont at all like the looks of the sliverax.
Amalgams release is April
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

sdmf74 wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:35 am
I opted for an 0393 but recently got a Southard as well. personally I dont at all like the looks of the sliverax.
Amalgams release is April
where'd you hear that?
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

Hi Larry_Mott, sorry the flipper/lock placement didn't work out for you. As far as your distaste for flippers, I'll just say you're totally wrong and flippers rule :D ! ...Joking and good natured ribbing aside, I get that flippers aren't for everyone. I like the way they serve as a guard against slipping up, and as a safety in case of lock failure (pinching instead of a finger guillotine :eek: ). Oh, and the fidget factor. Verrrrrrry important, that ;)

On the original plastic prototype, I had the lock tab placed further down the handle for exactly the reason you described- so the flipper would swing freely without hitting the finger pressing the lock. My guess is that this was fine on the plastic prototype, since the spring force of the plastic lock bar was very weak; perhaps on the first metal prototype Spyderco made in house, they found the lock tab was placed too far back to allow for enough leverage to manipulate the lock so they moved it up. Just a guess, as I was not involved in that decision and never handled a metal version of my original design.

For me it wasn't a big problem to adapt to when I handled the production sample, as I could swing it shut without hitting my finger by releasing the lock with the proper timing (kind of like learning to swing a PM2 closed without the blade bouncing back open). And a possible plus of the lock placement is that it helps serve as a half stop of sorts for a less guillotine-y and more controlled closing. Of course, ymmv and I totally understand favoring the lock in one place or the other.

I demonstrate lightswitch/pushbutton flipper use and different lock manipulations here:
https://youtu.be/zjnJNNE4F6U

Sdmf74, I too would like to know where you got that information. I'd love that to be true. What I heard was hopefully by Fall 2018. Btw, heresy on these forums I know, but that 0393 looks nice. I quite like the lines on the Eklipse/0392/0393 and the XM series, which I guess isn't too surprising :rolleyes:
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

gundamaniac wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:09 pm
Hi Larry_Mott, sorry the flipper/lock placement didn't work out for you. As far as your distaste for flippers, I'll just say you're totally wrong and flippers rule :D !
Never mind me, i'm just the last of the luddite dinosaurs :) It's a nice piece overall, and i am sure i could adapt to it. It's just that there's an extensive "shopping list" already so i am almost happy every time i *don't* fall in love with a new model :)

All the best!
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
sdmf74

Post by sdmf74 »

I heard it from a preorder person at a dealer. Whether or not it is accurate IDK.

The 0393 my first ZT Is freaking amazing, so smooth. The first thing I noticed about it besides how smooth it opens/closes is the blade has some weight to it & it screams quality! I just wish I could get an 0392.

Sorry die hard fans but my list of wanted spyders just got much shorter, dont worry though the amalgam is still the first on that list and IF their "CQI" yields better quality pivot hardware & smoother flipping as they say than I will consider buying more future models.
ie my brand new southard not very smooth, wish I could replace the washers with something better in it?
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Try lubing the detent first.
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:38 pm
Try lubing the detent first.
Agreed, lube the detent and cycle it open and closed. I just got a second hand new-to-me Domino that felt like it had a gritty spot along the detent path. I've been opening and closing it a bunch, and the action is fantastic and much smoother now.
Chan-daman45

Post by Chan-daman45 »

Very excited to have this knife in my hands. Currently have one pre-ordered which must mean the release date is getting fairly close for that option to be available. As for the pivot, Does this have the upgraded bearing design with larger bearings and phosphor-bronze washers?
sdmf74

Post by sdmf74 »

I believe so there is a spyderco video from shotshow where I think they confirm that it does but I too would like confirmation.

Btw I did lube my southard w/ nano oil but didnt take it apart yet that will have to be the next step cause it did nothing and I doubt taking it apart will help considering the crappy pivot and washers
Chan-daman45

Post by Chan-daman45 »

sdmf74 wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:53 pm
I heard it from a preorder person at a dealer. Whether or not it is accurate IDK.

The 0393 my first ZT Is freaking amazing, so smooth. The first thing I noticed about it besides how smooth it opens/closes is the blade has some weight to it & it screams quality! I just wish I could get an 0392.

Sorry die hard fans but my list of wanted spyders just got much shorter, dont worry though the amalgam is still the first on that list and IF their "CQI" yields better quality pivot hardware & smoother flipping as they say than I will consider buying more future models.
ie my brand new southard not very smooth, wish I could replace the washers with something better in it?
Very excited for April to roll around if that bears true. As far as the Southard goes, I agree that a bit of lube and and working the pivot can go a long way. I must have won the lottery with mine as I have had none of the old spydie ball bearing pivot issues. I picked up one of the black dlc ones on closeout. I noticed the G10 is different than the brown, Perhaps the pivot is slightly different as well? Very excited about the ATR 2 as well. Would love to pick up both the amalgam and Atr 2 this year, my only issue is that the ATR was not available to pre-order until MAP pricing was raised. A bit expensive at this point, but d*** desirable.
sdmf74

Post by sdmf74 »

You must have cause I too purchased a black one from bhq on closeout. Just no comparison to ZT.
Thats the first Ive seen of the ATR2, doesnt appeal to me. I think Im gonna refrain from knives that arent wicked edge friendly from now on.
I cant wait for someone to post a disassembly video of a new CQI knife from spyderco
kawkawati

Post by kawkawati »

Hi,

Does anyone know where this will produced out of?
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

Hi kawkawati, the Amalgam will be produced in Taiwan.

Latest I heard is hopefully around BLADE Show, and if not then hopefully by Fall.
sdmf74

Post by sdmf74 »

BHQ is doing something with the Amalgam on heir web page. It says it is no longer available and was removed from my cart and you can no longer purchase the knife for preorder. You know what im thinkin?