Smock

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyderg

Smock

Post by spyderg »

Didn’t see a thread for this one yet. I for one am excited! I’ve got a custom SK23 and it’s outstanding. This one seems to combine Kevin’s SK23 and SK45 designs. My custom is more ergonomic than it looks and is actually great in that regard. I love the button on the compression lock. The flipper tab is perfect, no “pocket pecker” but still uses typical hand position and motion we’re all used to from typical flippers. The only thing is it appears to be right hand only :mad: I guess I’ll be playing games to either tap it for a different clip on the other side or some sort of clip that folds over the butt of the knife. Unless of course the production model differs from the one showed...
C8B6719A-F2B1-4480-8503-E03A7B4E56A7.png
B751C0E8-64C9-4D50-912B-AD5084233270.jpeg
957BE305-A049-488A-9B61-208A116024D7.jpeg
957BE305-A049-488A-9B61-208A116024D7.jpeg (19.87 KiB) Viewed 5252 times
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
goonielife

Re: Smock

Post by goonielife »

All my previous knife plans for the year got put on hold when i saw this. I am hoping they make a couple small changes based on feedback, fixing the choil for me, reverse side pocket clip option for others. I know button locks are pretty ambidextrous since it is easy enough to push with thumb or forefinger. I haven't carried a non-usa knife in a long time (except a kickstarter knife), but
I don't even care for this one, taiwan it is.
flash900

Post by flash900 »

Where did you see this announced, please?
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

flash900 wrote:Where did you see this announced, please?
http://knifenews.com/spyderco-unveils-s ... show-2018/

David
goonielife

Post by goonielife »

Kind of stinks, you sit through a 20 minute long video and the smock isn't even on the table... (not referring to the link above, just some of the videos from Shot in general)
flash900

Post by flash900 »

Thanks.
Big fan of his work, although I prefer the size and shape of the Mini Southard.
goonielife

Post by goonielife »

Bump
This knife needs more discussion!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I get that the button is only on one side, but what makes this knife right hand only?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

I love this knife as is. I am extremely excited for a Smock production. The mini Paramilitary 2 in micarta with the stonewash that Mr. Smock does are gorgeous. Wish I could get on his waiting list!
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
Canazes9

Post by Canazes9 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:I get that the button is only on one side, but what makes this knife right hand only?
I think he's referring to the lack of holes in handle for left hand clip installation. Probably just a preproduction piece....

David
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Nice light and slim folder with S90V and CF for $162.47!

A must have for me.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
elduderino04

Post by elduderino04 »

Canazes9 wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:I get that the button is only on one side, but what makes this knife right hand only?
I think he's referring to the lack of holes in handle for left hand clip installation. Probably just a preproduction piece....

David
I hope you're right, but the fact that it seems to be using the same clip as the C22CF to me indicates that this is the design they're going with. I would LOVE if they changed to any ambi clip, but as a southpaw I'm used to disappointment. The one light at the end of the tunnel is the fact that Kevin Smock stated on instagram that he would offer some modding services for people who buy the Spyderco Smock, and that the modding options might include swapping the clip for left hand carry.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

On preorder at BladeHQ.
It looks like the finger groove was moved back to prevent the index finger from contacting the button by accident while gripping the knife.
So the grip seems more rearward than ideal to accommodate the lock. Looks odd to me.
TriggerThumb

Post by TriggerThumb »

I know this is blasphemous to say, but I don't like CF :( if I could get aftermarket scales, I'd be on this like white on rice on a paper plate in a snow storm.
Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.

-Henry David Thoreau
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

TriggerThumb wrote:I know this is blasphemous to say, but I don't like CF :( if I could get aftermarket scales, I'd be on this like white on rice on a paper plate in a snow storm.
I am looking at this knife and the camel bone slabs i have at home just waiting to be turned into scales and see a match made in heaven :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
TriggerThumb

Post by TriggerThumb »

Larry_Mott wrote:
TriggerThumb wrote:I know this is blasphemous to say, but I don't like CF :( if I could get aftermarket scales, I'd be on this like white on rice on a paper plate in a snow storm.
I am looking at this knife and the camel bone slabs i have at home just waiting to be turned into scales and see a match made in heaven :)
Pics please! I just might make my first set of scales for this knife.
Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.

-Henry David Thoreau
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

TriggerThumb wrote:
Larry_Mott wrote:
Pics please! I just might make my first set of scales for this knife.
Of course i will post when and if it happens. I know that natural materials can act up when forced into new shapes (warp, crack or shrink) but evenually the old camel will become scales, or perish in the process :D
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
goonielife

Post by goonielife »

Just got a message that s90v was a mistake ( which i kinda figured). Actually s30v
jimmd

Post by jimmd »

I wonder what the thickness of the blade stock and handle will be. The Smock SK23 has a lot of great features, but it's thicker than I like.

The photos and videos I've seen of the Spyderco Smock lead me to believe it may be thinner, which would be nice.
Jim
goonielife

Post by goonielife »

jimmd wrote:I wonder what the thickness of the blade stock and handle will be. The Smock SK23 has a lot of great features, but it's thicker than I like.

The photos and videos I've seen of the Spyderco Smock lead me to believe it may be thinner, which would be nice.
Probably similar to a sage 5.