If you could build your ideal Spyderco....

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Carlito555

Re: If you could build your ideal Spyderco....

Post by Carlito555 »

Has spyderco ever made a dragonfly xl?? Maybe like 3.25 inch with upgraded materials like m390 or s110v, compression lock, and g10 scales...love the blade shape so much but its so tiny
BravoTango

Post by BravoTango »

4-4.5" Blade, CPM-M4 as well as LC200N options for steel, FFG. swedged spine. No choil for maximum cutting edge, blade shape, Modified spear point with just alittle belly.

No thicker than the PM2 in pocket, but with a handle at least as thick as the PM2 spine to edge wise.

comp lock, translucent smoke grey G10, nested liners. Perhaps Ti on the clip side, no lefty or tip down mounting options (sorry lefties, but this is "my" ideal knife after all.)

I also really like the Idea of an Endura 4, G10 model, CPM-M4, modified wharncliffe w/ just alittle belly. sharpening choil, emerson opener, think really big straight razor.
:spyder: Ben,

The North Remembers.

Has (Always in flux): Shaman, Chef, Techno, M390 Para 3, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 M4. Manix 2 XL, Blue Weave Domino, CF Chaparral, Vtoku2 Endura 4, D-Fly Salt Hawk SE.[/s].

Wants: Manix 2 XL CPM-M4 or 4V, Compression Lock, Tip-up Military, Yojimbo 2 XL.
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

Compression lock Lil’ Native with Sage 5-like CF, LC200N PE blade, full rust-proof hardware (a la Caribbean), jimping on the finger choil and spine and fixed so that the finger choil tip does not hit the finger tip when closing the knife.

Sage 5 with LC200N PE blade and rust-proof hardware.

Bright red DF2 and Delica 4 with LC200N PE Blade and rust-proof hardware.
embry386

Post by embry386 »

Dream knife:

Sorta like an Endura, but with a slightly longer and pointier blade packed into the same length handle, and a 50-50 choil. Shaped kinda like the old stainless Police knives, but with an FRN handle. Police-style swedge near the tip. White FRN to allow for dyeing to any color I want. Black blade and hardware. Serrated and plainedge versions. A damascus version. A variety of steels, all of them stainless. Maybe LC200N, S35VN, S110V, something else?

Modified versions of current knives that would be cool:

More knives with white FRN. Looks very cool, and awesome for dyeing. Would be particularly good with black coated blades and hardware. I'd like a few Native 5s in that color combination.

Also I've been getting curious about this Cruwear steel everyone's talking about. If they make a LW Native with it, I'd maybe buy it.

A flat-ground LW Endura with full serrations, and more damascus LW Enduras.

Wharncliffe and hawkbill LW Natives, in both plain and serrated versions, and black-coated blades and hardware. Also more options for scale colors, in really bright neon obnoxious colors. Lime green, bright blue, violet, etc. We have a good start on those, with the orange KC version and the pink one, and the upcoming yellow Native Salt, but I want more.
haayema

Post by haayema »

I'd like a front flipper with a compression lock and contoured micarta handles. Ti would be good too.
Standard edition with a steel that can be easily maintained and a sprint run in M390 or Maxamet (for example) and a different set of handles.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Carlito555 wrote:Has spyderco ever made a dragonfly xl?? Maybe like 3.25 inch with upgraded materials like m390 or s110v, compression lock, and g10 scales...love the blade shape so much but its so tiny
No but I've seen them requested two or three times. I think it would be interesting to see one scaled up to 1.5 X, with the exact scale proportions. It would have about a 3.4" blade, about a half inch longer than a Delica blade but considerably broader.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Easy. A Superleaf with PB washers, M4 blade and a touch less prominent "butt hook"
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Not just one ideal, to many great options for different days..

I would actually really love a Polestar in Cruwear with linerless G10 and a backlock for edc for quite a few of those days. :D
(same color/texture G10 as used on current Polestar)
Once that becomes a great hit, I'd love to see an FRN version as well. :D
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Joris Mo wrote:Not just one ideal, to many great options for different days..

I would actually really love a Polestar in Cruwear with linerless G10 and a backlock for edc for quite a few of those days. :D
Sounds to me like you're describing the first Manix in Cruwear :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

Tip up carry Military :spyder:

(I'm not getting my hopes up, but with so much CQI floating around you'd think this option would be available by now. ;) )
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Hopweaver wrote:Tip up carry Military :spyder:

(I'm not getting my hopes up, but with so much CQI floating around you'd think this option would be available by now. ;) )
Agreed!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

DougC-3 wrote:
Carlito555 wrote:Has spyderco ever made a dragonfly xl?? Maybe like 3.25 inch with upgraded materials like m390 or s110v, compression lock, and g10 scales...love the blade shape so much but its so tiny
No but I've seen them requested two or three times. I think it would be interesting to see one scaled up to 1.5 X, with the exact scale proportions. It would have about a 3.4" blade, about a half inch longer than a Delica blade but considerably broader.
I would really like to see a DF2 XL as well. Such a great design. I wouldn't want it too much bigger. Just scaled up maybe 10% or so.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Joris Mo wrote:Not just one ideal, to many great options for different days..

Sounds to me like you're describing the first Manix in Cruwear :)
That Polestar has a very different design without the choil but still with a handle/blade that allows you to get very close on the blade so it is still quite different. The edge length of the Polestar is close to the blade length on the Manix 2 (haven't got the 1 for comparison) and I don't miss the choil.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

You're quite right. Don't know how i could forget the C101G had a choil.. :) I don't own one, have just handled it and at that time i remember thinking of it as a beefy Tenacious. That was in the infancy of my Spyderco collecting..
SC_PATRIOT

Post by SC_PATRIOT »

I don't want to. There are already so many models that i can't purchase to try out. And with these Sprints & EXclusives every month + surprises. Im leaving all designing up to Spyderco. I can say that i love every single PM2 that has ever been made.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Larry_Mott wrote:Easy. A Superleaf with PB washers, M4 blade and a touch less prominent "butt hook"
I could go for one of those.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.