If you could build your ideal Spyderco....

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Re: If you could build your ideal Spyderco....

Post by steelcity16 »

Evil D wrote:
dj moonbat wrote:
Evil D wrote:
dj moonbat wrote:I'm with you, OP. A compression lock, no-choil knife in carbon fiber and a really tough steel. Solid.
Sounds like the Caribbean is pretty close to that, at least the lock/no choil/toughish steel.
The whole bumblebee look isn't really my cuppa tea.

I hear ya. Eventually that may change with enough feedback. I get the yellow being a Salt thing, but I also suspect that eventually it will end up all black or at least have an all black (not DLC) option like most of the Salts currently have. Otherwise it's easy enough to dye. If that combo really is your dream knife, I'd go so far as to have custom scales made if everything else checks the right boxes.

Yeah, these scales are not doing it for me! I really wish that instead of doing this Carribean series, they would have just taken the super popular golden models and produced golden made LC200N salt models with options for black g10 with black DLC coated blades, and day glow transluscent yellow g10 with satin blades. plain and serrated options for each color. so basically 4 different scale/blade options for each of the Military, PM2, Para 3, Native, and Manix.

Although, even more than any of those combos, the ultimate for me would be the day glow transluscent yellow G10 with DLC coated blade AND DLC coated liners and hardware....like the BHQ DLC M4 Manix. Now that would be some kind of knife!!!! :eek:

If I owned a knife shop this would be my dealer exclusive series...and I bet they would sell out faster than the BHQ Manix!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Tim_B_Riding

Post by Tim_B_Riding »

JDennis wrote:Mine would be a Gayle Bradley 2 style knife with the blade in LC200N and a Compression lock. The Bradley 2 blade has been one of the best all around blades profiles I have ever had. It slices, is tough at the tip and with the scales, slim in the pocket. I love the M4, but for what I do, the LC200N seems to have the best parameters. The more stainless the the better. The handle fits my hand perfectly, and the compression lock is by far my favorite lock. With my job, in the winter my fingers tend to crack especially my thumb, and liner, back, or frame locks tend to be a bear to use. If it had full CF traction based scales I would just hand over my wallet. :D

Sign me up for this one. LC200N GB2? Yes please.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Tim_B_Riding wrote:
JDennis wrote:Mine would be a Gayle Bradley 2 style knife with the blade in LC200N and a Compression lock. The Bradley 2 blade has been one of the best all around blades profiles I have ever had. It slices, is tough at the tip and with the scales, slim in the pocket. I love the M4, but for what I do, the LC200N seems to have the best parameters. The more stainless the the better. The handle fits my hand perfectly, and the compression lock is by far my favorite lock. With my job, in the winter my fingers tend to crack especially my thumb, and liner, back, or frame locks tend to be a bear to use. If it had full CF traction based scales I would just hand over my wallet. :D

Sign me up for this one. LC200N GB2? Yes please.
Yeah, we need a Peel Ply CF GB2. Cruwear/3V/4V/PD-1 would be my vote, but I would grab an LC200N one as well.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
phurgawtin

Post by phurgawtin »

Zero-grind Sage 5 with a chaparral-thin Maxamet blade
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

A UKPK or Urban H1 Wharncliffe. Would be nice :rolleyes:
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

Since we're dreaming, I'd like a slipjoint with both a wharncliffe and a drop point around 3.25" long in M4. 2mm or less, zero ground, red micarta scales. Brass bolsters, nail nicks, no holes.
jimmd

Post by jimmd »

Native 5 in linerless carbon fiber scales with rounded edges. M390 steel with 2.5 mm thickness at the spine, stone washed finish. Compression lock. Deep carry wire clip. No lanyard hole.
Jim
Angela007

Post by Angela007 »

Para 3 s110v steel deep carry pocket clip no land yard hole LEFT HAND
It’s not fun living in a right handed world.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've been messing around with carbon steel EDC fixed blades.

It'd be fun to see a sprint run Street Beat in 51200.
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Vivi wrote:I've been messing around with carbon steel EDC fixed blades.

It'd be fun to see a sprint run Street Beat in 51200.
I'm in 100%. I'll also take a Ronin 2 while we're at it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bryan123

Post by bryan123 »

Chaparral with a more comfortable lockbar like those found on the Dragonfly, Delica and Endura.
Bryan
High speed low drag tactical operator immunologist philanthropist & bicyclist
Dragonfly 2 VG-10, Roadie, Bug, ZT 0450, Three Rivers LTC Nomad, Cold Steel Tuff Lite, RAT 1 AUS-8, SAK Super Tinker, Cadet, Rover, Classic SD, Opinel 0008 & 6 Tactical Weapon System, LM Original PST, Micra, 1967 Camillus Cub Scout restored by Rock USA Cutlery, Buck 380, Nick Shabazz autographed Z-Hunter, Snake Eyes Tactical Gas Station Knife
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I'm sure I could think up a new ideal Spyderco every 2 months or so... Right now, I'd just love to see a Lil Temperance 3 with a Bowie/Rhino blade.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Germinalphrase

Post by Germinalphrase »

Same answer as in a recent sprint thread: Rookie/thinner
blade stock/enlarged thumb hole/k390
ZMW

Post by ZMW »

How about a fixed blade version of the Manix XL. With a little countouring to the G10. Cruwear. That would be the IDEAL camp knife
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

How about a full serrated DLC coated H1 Military Salt with semi translucent day glow yellow g10 and black DLC liners and hardware? That would be insane! Golden used H1 in the autonomy, so it CAN be done!!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Germinalphrase wrote:Same answer as in a recent sprint thread: Rookie/thinner
blade stock/enlarged thumb hole/k390

i like the sound of this! the rookie is a great little knife.
EngDevGr3

Post by EngDevGr3 »

Slysz Bowie with M390 blade and the stonewash like maxamet has.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

This varies with me every few weeks, but right now:

1) Start with the KC exclusive Manix 2 Cruwear with smooth-ish CF, make it available both uncoated and in DLC with black liners, with just a bit of 3D rounding and good chamfering on the edges of the scales, and probably remove the liner jimping. At the moment I'd change the blade steel to M4, but Cruwear, 52100, K390, etc, would be fine.

2) Same as above, but Manix 2 XL.

3) Also, I'm planning to tap clip-screw holes into the left scale of my titanium Millie and move its standard clip around to the left side for left pocket tip-up carry, and possibly get an M4 blade for it. This would be perfect enough for me. I would like to do the same for my fluted Ti Millie (in my crummy avatar pic), but it would be hard to make myself mess up that fluted scale.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

DougC-3 wrote:This varies with me every few weeks, but right now:

1) Start with the KC exclusive Manix 2 Cruwear with smooth-ish CF, make it available both uncoated and in DLC with black liners, with just a bit of 3D rounding and good chamfering on the edges of the scales, and probably remove the liner jimping. At the moment I'd change the blade steel to M4, but Cruwear, 52100, K390, etc, would be fine.

2) Same as above, but Manix 2 XL.

3) Also, I'm planning to tap clip-screw holes into the left scale of my titanium Millie and move its standard clip around to the left side for left pocket tip-up carry, and possibly get an M4 blade for it. This would be perfect enough for me. I would like to do the same for my fluted Ti Millie (in my crummy avatar pic), but it would be hard to make myself mess up that fluted scale.

Im like you, except mine changes daily...maybe hourly!

I'm with you on the 52100 Manix! Make it DLC coated in Peel Ply CF. A Native 5 in this combo is really on my wishlist.
Drewthebrave

Post by Drewthebrave »

My budget is tight with my wedding coming up. I'd like to see a Tenacious with a Japanese steel and a different scale color. Maybe VG10 or H1 with Yellow or Bright Green G10, or V-Toku2 in Gray/Blue Camo G10.